War Stories HHR vs all

Lincoln Navigator Pushes Off Offramp

Old 08-07-2008, 06:32 PM

Lincoln Navigator Pushes Off Offramp

Ok, I am a car guy. I see a need for all vehicles and love most all of them... but for some reason giant SUVs really make my blood boil when there is just one person in them.

Off my podium.

I was coming off I-405 to highway in Renton last weekend and there was a black Lincoln Navigator with 22" wheels that for some reason didn't like my Victory Red HHR. Maybe he thought I was too small to take seriously. Anyway, he was riding my bumper - and I'm guilty of doing this when the person in front of me is 2MPH below the speed limit. But I was doing 75.

I recently added the Turbo Tech sway bar (in powder coated red!) and was feeling CONFIDENT!

I slowed to about 50, gritted my teeth and tossed the wheel on a hard right hand cloverleaf. I've never seen a car fall off my bumper so quickly, and I've had some fast cars.

The Lincoln didn't lock up, but you could see it severely understeer with its wheels pointing the right direction but it plowing straight off to the shoulder.

He stopped before going off the road.

It was one of the worst things I've ever done as far as "baiting" a car I knew couldn't corner.

And it was fun!

Am I going to hell now? And can I drive my Red HHR there?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:38 PM

Yes, you are going to HELL for that one.

Just joking. That is a good one though.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:40 PM

I thought so!! But can you blame me?

Its one of those things... you could almost say "honest mistake!" but I totally knew he couldn't hang!
Old 08-07-2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by chevyorange
But can you blame me?
Nope.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:46 PM

I knew I liked you from your very first post!!
Old 08-08-2008, 11:39 AM

A friend of mine has a 70 something Jag XJ that he baited a Beemer with. Had the same effect. This thing has 4 wheel independent suspension and flies like the wind. Its only a V8 (not V12) sedan but sucks gas like its going out of style.

Serves the Nav right for trying to mess with ya. Apparently he was driving past his abilities..
Old 08-08-2008, 12:43 PM

God help me, I love it so. I'm constantly amazed at drivers who don't know their vehicles too well... or the limitations thereof!

I'm going to do the door lock mod this weekend... I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:54 PM

"A man's got to know his limitations." - Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, c. 1973
Old 08-08-2008, 04:13 PM

Winter drivers of SUV's really bother me in this way. they don't seem to understand that 4800-6000 pounds takes a really long time to stop sliding, and also slide from speeds as low a 15mph. I understand that with the weight and the 4wd you can accelerate great. But that is half (actually less than) the battle.

I prefer to get on very long entrance ramps (in summer btw), and while hypermiling up to 55mph , let the yo-yo on the cell phone ride right up on my bumper. When they put on their blinker and try to pass on the right, i say to my self

Full sail!! Ramming speed!!!!

After a mile of 11-13mpg consumption and a little work on the clutch, I neutral coat back down to 55. A few seconds later i see them flooring their gas guzzler or pitiful 1.nothing liter honda trying to pass me on the left.

I leave it in 5th and speed up ever so slightly to make them feel like they are standing still.

once they "get it", Ill neutral-coast back down to 55ish at 40mpg inst.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:50 PM

Here's my driver's side lock. Its nearly flush!
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lincoln Navigator Pushes Off Offramp