War Stories HHR vs all

Still a little surprising

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:43 PM

The first year we owned our HHR we took a trip to see the wife's sister in Cleveland Tennessee. Usually at the beginning of the trip I set the cruise control at whatever the posted speed limit is but generally by the time we make the Illinois boarder I am running with what ever speed traffic seems to like.

Through Indiana it is posted at 70 mph on the last few trips but back then it was still posted at 65, traffic was rolling at mostly 80 so that's where I had the HHR set. By the time we were into Kentucky we were closer to 90 most of the time.

The HHR did not seem to mind at all.

That first year while I was rolling through Louisville I was kicking along at 85 when a state patrol cruiser pulled up beside me. I thought OH ***** and figured he would put his lights on and it would be game over for me.

He looked down at his speedometer then looked at me, gave me little smile, and a little salute and took off like he had somewhere else to be soon. I did not slow down at all just kept peddling along keeping up with traffic.

I think he was a little surprised that the box on wheels was able to keep up with the big boys in the fast lane.

I have always been amazed that when I am kicking along no matter how much over the limit I am going someone always comes along and passes me.