War Stories HHR vs all

Why do they want to "GO" on us?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 09:27 PM

Why do they want to "GO" on us?

I've had my '08 2LT for about 6 months now. It is Sandstone Metallic and the dealer put a very nice, subtle, pink and blue pinstripe down the side of it. Since I've taken ownership, I have done some nice little mods..stubby, tinting, vintage Chevy script on the interior, and have kept it cleaner than showroom condition, taking care to park it out of harms way when I'm at the shopping center. I've owned faster cars in the past (most notably my year one Napa Red Eclipse GS--it was truly a mover with the 5-speed and Eagle GT-Z's). But I digress..

I have never been in a car, one that I bought because I was looking for something that had a "cool" factor, but mostly because I wanted something that could get nice MPG, that seems to invite so many folks who want to challenge me on the highway! Since I've had this car, I've had everything from "fartcan" mufflered Honda Civics, to Accuras, decaled and badged to death late model Mustangs, to Hemi-laden Chargers sidle up to me on the interstate and rev and brake check me to try to entice a race. I just don't get why so many of these guys feel the urge to get all dueled up on my pretty HHR!

With an auto trans, a mere 2.4 engine, and FWD, I do not consider my HHR to be a hot rod at all. I drive to maximize mileage. Yeah, it's got 17's, it's got the polished wheels and mirror covers, leather, and looks like a vintage rod (I am going to lower it as soon as I get past the bumper to bumper warranty). I just don't get why I keep getting all these jerks wanting to "GO" on the highway! Heck, I even had a Tennessee Highway Patrol cruiser sidle up on me while I was making my way to vacation in Hilton Head (prior to tinting my front windows and front windshield header), just to give me the once over! I was only going 74 and dude paced me for 10 miles! We were doing the rolling road block thing on I-40 into the Newport split!

Under the hood, my HHR is totally stock. I have to assume that the little exterior mods and the totally awesome look of the HHR just makes these guys get a hard-on to "GO" on it. Does everybody else get this kind of action with their cars? I see all sorts of "vs" posts in this thread, and they are created by folks who have SS's and/or have heavily mod-ed their manual transmission-ed HHR's to take on today's true hitters. I don't think my HHR would hang with a car that is truly tuned for take off or real top end runs. Am I missing something? And finally, what should I be looking to do under the hood to realistically be able to hang with any of these cars?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:50 PM
XXL

Just wave and let them drive on. Your 2.4 isn't the right platform to do any significant (and meaningful) modding on... unless you're prepared to spend a LOT of money.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:55 PM

This is just my opinion, but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the SS has gotten a reputation as a pretty quick car. I think that there may be a lot of people out there that really do not know the difference between the SS and as nice looking 2LT...

Also, I think that any HHR is kind of an eyecatching ride and people are just not all that famliar with what they have under the hood. They just are taunting you and dying to find out! I have had this happen a lot myself, and despite having a very quick SS 5spd. with the stage 1 kit have resisted the temptation to show them! I know there is usually a cop lurking around the next intersection, or someone who can blindly pull out in front of you. I don't need that kind of complication in my life!
Old 10-23-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by XXL
Just wave and let them drive on. Your 2.4 isn't the right platform to do any significant (and meaningful) modding on... unless you're prepared to spend a LOT of money.
Yep..you think just like me..that's not what I was looking for when I got this one. This one was built for comfort, not for speed. And I am happy beyond happy with it. Just wanted to make sure that I hadn't underestimated its possibilities. Rock on..
Old 10-24-2009, 11:21 AM

That never happens to me. Not once.

But then, my plastic hubcaps don't really scream speed either.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:34 AM

It's happened to me about a dozen or so since I've had mine. More so since I got the new wheels about a week ago...
Old 10-24-2009, 12:20 PM

I do get that on occasion her too. I am a sucker for a good race (win or lose) The 2.4 is definately no slouch. Not sure about everyone elses but mine will get down with any car in its class. I had a first time HHR passenger yesterday going to a meeting and his comment after I passed a line of cars was "Man, does this thing have a V-8 in it?" I laughed and told him "no but it thinks it does". Kinda like little man syndrome I guess. Certainly not a high performance race car, but very fun when the situation calls for it.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:19 PM

Nah, the only time I get messed with, is when I pull the Trans Am out. The Ram Air and WS6 badge seems to make the car a target for every doofus without two brain cells to share.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:28 PM

I can't get anyone to bite. They pull up next to me and look over see the shiny wheels, the SS badging and the corvette flags on side the hood. They look confused as if they are not sure what I am driving. So when the light turns green all they see is my tail lights.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:13 PM

I don't get people trying to race me. But that may just be a consequence of our lousy roads! It is a real head turner though. My 2.4 auto is pretty punchy, but I doubt I could get ahead of anyone in something they think they can race.

Quick Reply: Why do they want to "GO" on us?