Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Taking pen ink off leather, need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:53 PM

Taking pen ink off leather, need help

So my wife drove the car for a while and now there is a long black pen mark on the upper center of the passenger seat tan leather. We did a bit of the usual finger pointing but the end result is I need to get it off without damaging the leather.
Anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Harpo.....

that really sucks.

It really depends on the TYPE OF INK AND how the leather is treated AND how fresh the ink is. But, "quality" leather furniture people say to use 70% (or greater) rubbing alcohol. Apply it with soft cloth and in layers....blotting instead of rubbing...between each application.

This worked for me several years ago, on a leather couch. I followed it up with a quality leather conditioner.

Have patience with the application, don't rub hard, and do it several times...and it might work.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:19 PM

Thaks Snoopy. I'll get on it tomorrow. I thought getting at it sooner rather than later would help. The longer something sets, the harder it is to undo in most cases. It has been on maybe a week. Alcohol it is, anD I have some leather conditioner I wanted to put on to, so on it will go! I last conditioned the leather in July or August.
Here's hoping it works, and you guys know me, I'll take some pics, before and after, whatever the outcome.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:58 PM

Thought I posted another solution the other day but must of forgot to hit the reply button.

Something else that does work for next time for anyone else to try is hair spray, yes, your wife's or yours if you use it (learned about it on PBS). It will remove even magic marker, spray on the stain and blot with paper towel. LEATHER may be different but worth a try.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Harpozep
Thaks Snoopy. I'll get on it tomorrow. I thought getting at it sooner rather than later would help. The longer something sets, the harder it is to undo in most cases. It has been on maybe a week. Alcohol it is, anD I have some leather conditioner I wanted to put on to, so on it will go! I last conditioned the leather in July or August.
Here's hoping it works, and you guys know me, I'll take some pics, before and after, whatever the outcome.
If that doesn't work, point more fingers.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:25 PM

I was going to suggest you google "Hints from Heloise". I did it and Snoopy is absolutely right. Here's the link:
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home...-leather-may02