Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Front Door Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 07:10 PM

I plan on replacing all 4 of my factory speakers with Pioneer TS-A1684R's next week. It doesn't say it needs adapter rings but from what I can tell the box has a template on it were you'd drill 4 holes and use self tapping screws. Not really sure I want to do that so I might pick up some adapter rings anyway. I did get speaker wire adapters from Crutchfield and they included the 2006- HHR Master Sheet. I'll scan it up tonight and post it later. Gives a lot of good info and detailed pics.

Last edited by otacon; 05-06-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by otacon
I plan on replacing all 4 of my factory speakers with Pioneer TS-A1684R's next week. It doesn't say it needs adapter rings but from what I can tell the box has a template on it were you'd drill 4 holes and use self tapping screws. Not really sure I want to do that so I might pick up some adapter rings anyway. I did get speaker wire adapters from Crutchfield and they included the 2006- HHR Master Sheet. I'll scan it up tonight and post it later. Gives a lot of good info and detailed pics.
I could be wrong, but with the odd shape of the hole, I think you would only get 2 screws into metal without using the adapters.

Originally Posted by Rod Run
Anyone know how many ohms are the factory speakers rated at?
On the base system, the front door speakers are 4ohm and the rear door speakers are 8ohm. I believe on the uplevel pioneer system, all are 2ohm.

Originally Posted by bad03xtreme
Did you add any dynomat or anything, I get quit a bit of rattle from my door panels.
There actually seems to be a sheet of soundproofing material stuck to the outside panel from the factory, looks similar to dynamat.
I did just purchase two dynamat door kits and will be doing the front speakers.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:06 AM

oh my god the dynamat realy helps i have infinity refrence speakers front & back and i could telll the huge difference after dynamating love the clean highs!
Old 05-20-2011, 09:35 PM

I used the Sosche adapter rings and it was a perfect fit. The one screw at the top is reused and the bottom of the bracket locks into the sheet metal at the bottom.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by prod
On the base system, the front door speakers are 4ohm and the rear door speakers are 8ohm.
Thanks! That's great to know, because most factory systems are 2 ohms and it's hard to find speakers that are that low of an impedence
Old 05-20-2011, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rod Run
Thanks! That's great to know, because most factory systems are 2 ohms and it's hard to find speakers that are that low of an impedence
The HHR upgraded premium pioneer system has 2ohm speakers. They arent too hard to find aftermarket. Kicker, Infinity and a few others make them.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by prod

Would love to get a template for these MDF mounts so that I could have them ready to use before I tear my door apart. I hate to stop the install in order to do some carpentry work when I could have it done ahead of time.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:40 AM

i just replaced all four door speakers yesterday because both left channel speakers quit. i could still faintly hear the the chimes thru the tweeter so i knew the left channel still functioned. i used the old speakers as mounting flanges for the new speakers. i used a pair of side cutters to cut the speaker baskets from the mounting flange. then i trimmed the ring from the front to make room for the speaker. worked awesome. my back door speakers were 8 ohm and the front were 4 ohm. the tweeters are hooked in parallel to the front door speakers explaining why they are differrent impedance than the back. i had to reference the wiring diagram to establish speaker polarity becuase the speakers aren't marked. according to the wiring diagram, the wires don't change colour between the radio and speakers(that would be stupid). sorry i didnt take pics. spent all afternnon as it was. i also took the drivers door lock out of the door to inspect and lube it. it still unlocks improperly with the fob.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:38 AM

my 2009 hhr has sound only on the left front, is it possible I have 3 bad speakers???? or is it the radio.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by beachbummm
my 2009 hhr has sound only on the left front, is it possible I have 3 bad speakers???? or is it the radio.
Yes it's possible 3 speakers went bad. That's exactly what happened to me, except the remaining speaker that was still good was the right front.

Steve

Quick Reply: Front Door Speaker Replacement