General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Back up camera

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 03:47 PM

Back up camera

The other day I saw an hhr with one of those RPD screens on the top of the dash where the small glove department is and it got me thinking. What if there were a way to use that piece (cause it fits so perfectly in the dash) and change the screen to be able to use it as a back up camera. I know you can get one installed in the center dash but then your giving up your OEM radio. Anybody here think that might be do able
Old 03-29-2014, 04:38 PM

Nevada,

Yes - you can buy one on eBay that uses this idea. Old hat I think by now.

Boydie

Originally Posted by Nevada Smith
The other day I saw an hhr with one of those RPD screens on the top of the dash where the small glove department is and it got me thinking. What if there were a way to use that piece (cause it fits so perfectly in the dash) and change the screen to be able to use it as a back up camera. I know you can get one installed in the center dash but then your giving up your OEM radio. Anybody here think that might be do able
Old 03-29-2014, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like a good idea.Not sure where to get a cheap RPD unit for this. The RPD screen area is pretty small. I would think you would have to cut it out some.

Attachment 16025

Last edited by firemangeorge; 05-30-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Sounds like a good idea.Not sure where to get a cheap RPD unit for this. The RPD screen area is pretty small. I would think you would have to cut it out some.

Attachment 16025
I've seen a few on Ebay. The screens don't look like there more than 5in.Wide maybe 6.
Then height looks like a little less. Maybe 4in. I wander if there'd be any around in the scrap yards. I gotta think this over. I'd sure like a rear view camera on my panel. Can't imagine why they weren't an option. I've got a H3T with one and that thing has windows all around.
Anyway I'd like to hear a few more comments. Maybe someone else has done that.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge

Attachment 16025
BTW thanks for posting the picture of that RPD screen. It gives everyone a better idea of what I'm talking about
Old 03-29-2014, 07:28 PM

Backup camera was an option late in production but used a small screen in the rear view mirror. They also sell them aftermarket. I don't know the size of the RPD but there's probably one to fit, lots on ebay. I bought a cheap camera that mounts in place of one of the plate bulbs and will put it on when the weather warms up. My aftermarket deck has a screen. I'll post it up if its decent quality.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by prod
Backup camera was an option late in production but used a small screen in the rear view mirror. They also sell them aftermarket. I don't know the size of the RPD but there's probably one to fit, lots on ebay. I bought a cheap camera that mounts in place of one of the plate bulbs and will put it on when the weather warms up. My aftermarket deck has a screen. I'll post it up if its decent quality.
Hi Prod
Were almost neighbours. I'm in Montreal but I do like Toronto. My GM dealer told me they never did a back up camera for the hhr.
I hope your right and he's wrong cause if they have one I will get it and I'll let the dealer do the install. Thanks
Old 03-29-2014, 08:15 PM

This link talks about many areas of the HHR including adding aftermarket Rear view cameras
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bFWwyOb...rolet-hhr.html
Old 03-29-2014, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

No artist here.
This RPD screen doesn't measure out very big. I would think the biggest screen you might get in there would be 4" wide x 3" high after enlarging the original hole.

Attachment 16026

Last edited by firemangeorge; 05-30-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:04 PM

Note: This is what prod was talking about. The image below is from the 2010 HHR brochure.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Back up camera