General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Did I see you on 285 outside of Denver?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:57 AM

Did I see you on 285 outside of Denver?

Was coming back from Golden heading towards Denver on 285. About 1/4 to 4 I saw an Victory Red HHR with the portholes (is that what they call those things on the hood?) heading in the opposite direction. I'm taking a wild guess that it may be someone here but the only member that I know lives in the Denver area is Deb and "Smoke" is not that color

Suffering for a week in a Ford Focus SE that feels like it is going to explode going 80 At least the wife got a brand new Mitsubishi Outlander for her gov rental so we can have a nice ride after she gets out of work...and yes....the Outlander is a REALLY nice ride

CO is beautiful....the view of Pikes Peak from Peterson AFB is breathtaking and the wildlife out here is stunning...of course you may be wondering why I am at a keyboard instead of taking it all in...my computer room at work decided to lose power yesterday so I'm remotely trying to rebuild databases on a crap connection

She gets out at 1 today so hopefully I'll be done here and we'll be going to Garden of The Gods and the Air Force Academy

Goose
Old 06-18-2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Goose
CO is beautiful....the view of Pikes Peak from Peterson AFB is breathtaking
Many moons ago when I was stationed in Montana, I took a trip to Colorado Springs. Very beautiful there. Saw the Garden of the Gods and everything. I even drove to the top of Pikes Peak, now that was an interesting trip. The whole time thinking of the "fools" that race up it......
Old 06-18-2007, 01:45 PM

I'll maybe drive up it tomorrow or Wed...hope the Focus is up for it!

Goose
Old 06-18-2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Goose
I'll maybe drive up it tomorrow or Wed...hope the Focus is up for it!

Goose
Take a jacket, it cold up top........
Old 06-18-2007, 04:30 PM

I was just in the area on Friday - took Hwy24 out of Colorado Springs to Hwy 9 and up and over Hoosier Pass - jackets were NOT needed:

Old 06-18-2007, 05:49 PM

Goose, we just made a trip to Denver last month and it was the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen. If you are looking for a great mountain experience I would suggest Mount Evans. You can literally drive all the way to the top (14,260 feet) on a paved road. In fact, it is the highest paved road in the world. And it is a short half hour drive from Denver on I-70 to exit 240 and follow the signs. At Echo Lake you have to pay a small entrance fee to go the rest of the way, and it was worth every penny. We weren't able to travel all the way to the summit because of heavy snowfall, but we got to Summit Lake, which is 13,001 feet. The view simply can not be described. Have a great time wherever you decide to go. I would say you can't go wrong anywhere in the Rockies. Here is a pic on our way up close to the top.
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2007, 06:29 PM

Wow, Colorado is amazing, even in the summer! I definitely will be there two years from now for my son's graduation but I considered taking a trip up there next summer so we can see all the sites. I will get up to Pike's Peak some day!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:53 PM

You're right...it wasn't Smoke and I.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your time in Colorado. There's lots to see and do. Hope we're able to get together if you have the time. If not...enjoy our beautiful state.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:51 PM

Wow, gorgeous yellow SSR a few posts back... M&M yellow - delicious!

We also have been to Garden of the Gods and regretfully, were there during the months that the Pikes Peak highway was closed off. I remember the way my Dad drove it though, and scared the family half to death...hubby would have done SO MUCH better. Some day....
Old 06-18-2007, 10:28 PM

wow! Thanks for sharing the pics! You know a few years back I spent a couple of weeks at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage...I still think that is one of the most beautiful places on Earth I have ever been (Alaska that is). Denali was jaw dropping. I will say that what I have seen so far is running a very close second.

We did the AF Academy today and also the Garden of the Gods. Both beautiful! As luck would have it Deb I'm not sure if we are going to have enough time to hook...I've been dragged into performing some duty while here so I'm working on the base until 1:30 for the next 2 days... After that me and the missus are on a go go schedule...tomorrow right after we get out of work we are heading back to Golden to take the Coors Factory tour and then we are heading into the Rockies game..we are going to be cutting it real close getting there before the game starts...Wednesday after work it is up Pikes Peak in the Outlander and then we need to drop it off at the airport as her duty is done. Thursday heading up to Cheyenne and probably spending the night there...hope to hit some hot springs and maybe some wine vineyards on the way....Friday off to Rocky Mountain National Park and maybe do Mt Evans and fit some horseback riding in......honestly there is just too much damn stuff to do out here!

This will be my 2nd jaunt out to Golden..we walked around town and also went to Lookout Mountain and visited Buffalo Bill's gravesite on Sunday. Also took a walk along Clear Creek..the water feed for Coors!

We go for a walk on base here before the sun goes down and it is so relaxing with the birds etc.....and the quiet...saw a little white owl sitting on a fence looking at us...to us eastern type folk that is a pretty neat site

Goose

Quick Reply: Did I see you on 285 outside of Denver?