General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Frozen windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:49 PM

Frozen windows

Be for I start I wanna tell ya all I live in Up State NY on a mountain on the border of Vermont and Mass. The temp differance between my house and Albany is about 10 degrees colder at my house. Has any one else had this problem. The other day I went out to my HHR and it had snowed alil bit like 1/2 inch well later on after i got back home i had to go back out. Well I had to roll window down and WHOOPS couldnt it was FROZEN now it was 14 degrees here at that time and heat had been on for about 20 minutes and still wouldnt come down. I tried all windows all same issue. i think it was 30 minutes with heat on high they finally opened. That was just odd nothing to make me up set or hate the car just found it funny. Wanted to know if any one else had this problem b4. B4 any of you say put it in a garage I usually have it in there but right now all the x-mas decoration boxes are all over in there so i ant put it in right now lol.......
Old 12-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Banned

Mine froze shut a couple times last winter but I don't think it took quite as long to thaw out as yours.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:01 PM

See I knew i wouldnt be the only one lol yeah it was a long time but i was also highway driving 55-65 mph general speed so maybe that had to do with the time.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:02 PM

Two suggestions, one to help you now and one to help you down the road.

1: Use some alcohol on the edges of the window up by the weatherstrip. The best kind of alcohol can be found in lock de-icer, but in a pinch rubbing alcohol would work. The point is to displace the frozen water that's holding the window in place.

2: Once you have the window actually open, get some spray silicone lubricant and spray down the rubber weatherstrip. A thin layer of silicone won't freeze and will keep the window from freezing to the rubber again.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:04 PM

Winter...isnt it the best lol
Living in Michigan...I can relate
Old 12-06-2006, 02:07 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by NateZillaHHR
Winter...isnt it the best lol
Sure is!! Loving the 80 degree temps!
Old 12-06-2006, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the tips. It rarely gets that cold in Seattle, but twice in the past past couple of weeks I had my windows freeze shut. Didn't realize it until I got to work and couldn't open them to swipe my cardkey to get into the garage.

John
Old 12-06-2006, 02:13 PM

Thanks Desert yeah never thought of that cause she is usually in my garage and this is the 1st winter i have had her and for u people in the 80's 4 the winter i hate u all lol just kidding i envy u all
Nate I bet u get it bad there 2 good luck
Old 12-06-2006, 03:48 PM

I've had the same problem with just about any vehicle I have owned. The only time it is really bothersome is when you try to put the window down after a one cheek sneak. Always test the window first!
Old 12-06-2006, 04:08 PM

I have found that window visors (Ventshade, weathertech, etc.)reduce the problem of window freezing. In extreme cold it won't prevent window freezing but in most cases it helps a lot. The water that freezes the window to the window frame tends to freeze the visor to the window frame instead. The visor shields most of the window glass-to-channel joint from direct water exposure. Melted snow that runs off the roof drips off the edge of the visor instead of going into the glass channel.

Steve

Quick Reply: Frozen windows