General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HP Tuners Question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 10:26 PM

HP Tuners Question?

Fellow tinkerers, I have a question.

Really its a question for our fastest HHR on record, Dave (2005_HHR_Auto).
In the past you'd mentioned the key to the life of our transmissions is an oil cooler and cutting the shift times in half (via HP Tuners).

I'm looking into the TCM for changing the shift times. Are we only changing the X pattern here? It seems that my pressure references are all set to the X pattern. I'm going to see if I can load a screen shot that's legible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-I'm also interested in starting a "Learn and Share" thread similar to over on the HP forum. Only it'll be HHR specific help and advice. Seems there's been a mess of people looking for a good tune. It's not all that complicated once you get over the fear factor. Just by taking it nice and slow I'm converting both non-flex vehicles to run on e85. I know the SS is capable a full e85, not sure about the LT.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:44 AM

I don't have an aftermarket transmission oil cooler.

Search my posts on this forum for making an automatic live a long life.

E47 is the 'sweet-spot' for the LNF engine, E85 'tune' for racecar, because racecar, as very little to be gained over E47.
I would never run straight E85 on my LNF as it's not worth it.

The 'tunes' are easy now as the LNF is a 'mature' product & everyone has done
everything that can be done with our ECMs

At 1st because it was new 'torque-based' programming, everyone had to go thru a 'learning' curve.

Because we have a built in wide-band O2 sensor makes it so much easier to program.

There's a lot of 'stickies' over on the HPTuner forum that takes you step by step in 'tuning' our buggies.

LNF Guides
LNF TUNERS: Learn, share and make hp HERE!!
LNF GDI Torque and Load Information

UPDATE: Just added the link to the thread that has some of my 'tunes' that you can download to use or compare...
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...409#post401409

Last edited by 2005HHRauto; 06-21-2016 at 06:59 AM. Reason: added link to my 'tunes'
Old 06-20-2016, 09:22 AM

A learn and share thread would be a great idea. If drummerboy decides to get HPT he could fix a number of his issues as he's really chasing it right now which is what happens when that many changes are made at one time
Old 06-20-2016, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by DrLoch
A learn and share thread would be a great idea. If drummerboy decides to get HPT he could fix a number of his issues as he's really chasing it right now which is what happens when that many changes are made at one time
Very true Doc - plus once I add those 3 bar MAPs and relocated the MAF to lower charge pipe HPT will be clutch
Old 06-20-2016, 11:10 AM

Good, I agree. I'll work on what I have so far and grab some links from our friends at HP Forums. What I've noticed about the maturity of our ECM is there isn't much new info. All threads dedicated to the lnf have been dead for years. I've started a few threads over at HP, none led me to the results I was after.

Just out of curiosity, for those of us with HPT, what version are you guys running? I'm trying to wrap my head around the new layouts/scanner for 3.0

Seems no matter what PID (channel) I select I cannot properly read boost levels.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:26 PM

I just downloaded 3.2. Just came out.

drummerboy, bite the bullet and get on board with this. I know it's expensive, but look at what you have already invested. Your chasing ghosts right now.

just my 2 cents
Old 06-20-2016, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by DrLoch
I just downloaded 3.2. Just came out.

drummerboy, bite the bullet and get on board with this. I know it's expensive, but look at what you have already invested. Your chasing ghosts right now.

just my 2 cents
I'm in! Got a few other things to take care of first (like an engagement ring, and a house) but I do plan on getting HPT. I thought about it, and if I'm keeping this car to preserve as a show car, it makes sense to get it so I can always update it.

Yes - maybe one of the Mods could create a section on the site where we can post the various tunes the members know? Like for the 3 bar maps, Opel injectors, moving MAF to lower charge pipe, etc?
Old 06-21-2016, 07:55 AM
Technical Moderator

You mean like: HHR SS - Chevy HHR Network ?
Old 06-21-2016, 08:11 AM

Not necessarily Don. Since HPT can be used on any HHR (except 06 2.2), the SS crowd will be the ones mainly utilizing the thread though. I'm going to PM Mike and ask what we're allowed to post on the matter. I'd like to have a page for tunes but...things get dicey when you start explaining how to flash ECMs. Whether it's legal or not..so on and so forth. It would require a disclaimer for certain, Mike's a lawyer so he should have an idea of what we'd need.

I'll get something lined up, there's going to be enough of us playing to make it a useful reference for tuning our buggies. Where it goes and what we're allowed is what I've got to find out.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:03 AM

You can add a battery, or get rid of your battery in the trunk by using either of these 2 pictured batteries, & just mount it on the fuse box.
I like adding a battery when 'tuning' my buggy.
Yes the hood will close with ease, no clearance issues, easy hookup, velcro is wonderful.
You can see the home-depot 'T' that I added to an engine bolt that I use for charger clamps & ground wire hookups.
I have used both of these batteries in place of the stock batteries with no issues.
The $325 Shorai battery weighs just under 5lbs as shown on my wifes kitchen scale.
The $105 Odyssey battery weights just over 14lbs.

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 03-12-2017 at 12:35 AM.

Quick Reply: HP Tuners Question?