General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Installed Corvette C6 SEATS, LOVE THEM

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:48 AM

Installed Corvette C6 SEATS, LOVE THEM

Okay, I just finished, except for the Power and ground connections, the installation of C6 Corvette Leather Seats. It was a fairly easy install, after I worked out the simplest means. I had set myself a set of "Do's and Don'ts' ,, can't be helped it's my Engineer's Brain.

Her' the Basics, I'll go into detail, step by step in several posts.

My Do's or Goals were

To have comfortable leather seats with bolsters and easy egress.

Leaving my original HHR seats intact - less the seat attached Seat Belt

Minimal Modifications to the Corvette C6 Seats

Keep the install, simple, clean, safe, and Exception look

Don'ts

A reasonably simple install with No Welding

No unsafe or untidy workmanship

Don't add unnecessary parts or increase vehicle weight.

What I gained are two very comfortable seats that the cost of install was significantly less $$ then new Leather Covers on my existing HHR seats. I already had these C6 seats. I was going to install them in my C5 Corvette, but I wasn't willing to give up the passenger side electric seats nor the air lumbar and bolsters.

I did loose the Arm rests, and those Nets on the Seats Backs. I don't utilize either.

If you wish to retain the passenger "Sitting in the Seat" sensor for the passenger side air bag, On/Off feature then You'd need to get the Gel bag from a Junk Yard. This sensor provides a DC Voltage level that drops as a passenger sits in the seat. The more weight the lower the Voltage. It's one of those ridiculous features. I might work on a Mod that would eliminate the Gel bag and sensor and keep the passenger side air bag active at all times. The Gel Bag is an east instal too.

One could install C5 or C6 Corvette Seats. The C6 have a greatly improved seat tracks and much better leather. If one uses the C5 seats then you'd need to install new seat track plastic bushings kit. Inexpensive and easy to replace. There is a utube video that goes into great detail as how to accomplish this task. This video also gives one a good visual of the C5 seats.

In the simplest terms, I removed the C6 seat front mounts, turned them 180 degrees and moved them back approx 1 1/2 inch - then bolted them into place. This did require drilled off the heads of 2 rivets per mount. But they are soft steel and takes only a few minutes. I also removed the short flat rear mounts, not needed

The C5 and C5 seats only require +12 and ground, same as the HHR

I did fab a bracket to use the existing Knife type front mounts used on HHR's. I removed them from a pair of junk seats. To much labor for the mounting these on the drivers electric seats, so I dropped this idea. I much prefer the Bolted front an rear install.

I bolted these seats in place, both front and rear.

Here are a few photos. I'll go though the install process with photos of each step and a few precautions
Attached Thumbnails Installed Corvette C6  SEATS, LOVE THEM-hhr-dt-front-1.jpg  
Attached Images    
Old 04-18-2016, 12:09 PM

Looks like they were made for it.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:36 PM
Technical Moderator

"If you wish to retain the passenger "Sitting in the Seat" sensor for the passenger side air bag, On/Off feature then You'd need to get the Gel bag from a Junk Yard. This sensor provides a DC Voltage level that drops as a passenger sits in the seat. The more weight the lower the Voltage. It's one of those ridiculous features. I might work on a Mod that would eliminate the Gel bag and sensor and keep the passenger side air bag active at all times. The Gel Bag is an east instal too."

It is illegal and unsafe to alter the SRS (airbag system). If a child or small person is sitting in the front seat they can be killed by a deployment. If anyone is injured or killed by the airbag, guess who can be held liable. The switch was added by law, because the car manufacturers would have been liable, now you would be.

Do you remember the fluff up about dead children, and the legal hassles involved with installing a manual off switch for the passenger airbag? Only a few dozen people died.

No discussion of "how to disable" safety features is allowed on this forum, so please don't go any further here. If you do it please keep it to yourself.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Nice install, X2 on the airbags
Old 04-18-2016, 04:09 PM

I guess I wasn't clear on the Seat Get bag.

I don't think there are any LAW's that state Auto manufacturers must install passenger side Air bag on/off selection that controls the passenger side airbag.

For example neither on my C5 Corvettes have this option installed. My Dad's Cadillac Northstar didn't have this option either. Yet they all have airbags. In fact I've never seen any other car with this option.

I sure as Heck not suggesting to "Defeat or Disable or disconnect the passenger side air bag. Nor Mod the SRS system......

The passenger side gel bag and sensor DO NOT control the SRS air bag system. They only provide the SRS a signal that is "Interpreted" by yet another Controller mounted under the seat, which is routed to the SRS system. None which have the typical SRS connector locking mechanisms on the electrical connectors.

Take a look at the gel bag placed on the floor of my HHR. The pressure sensor is that small black plastic cube on the end of the gel bag's polymer pressure tube, by the grey connector . And note how it is installed under the seat cushions with only a Jute Pad to protect it from the seat wire springs... The additional controller that connects to the SRS system is the black square module with the white label...

And,, the gel bag is mounted UNDER the seat cushion, photo - Who dreamed this up did not consider the ramification with No Fail Safe design. I tested the pressure that is require to "Trigger" passenger air bag as being "ON", IE lamp on the Dash. My HHR has about a Second hysteresis, Or Delay built it.

That is to state once the gel bag provides enough pressure to the semiconductor sensor, the is approx a four second delay before the dash lamp illuminates.

These types of LOW $$$ cost semiconductor pressure sensors are know to be notoriously unreliable. They are the same Si semiconductor device as the pesky little Tire pressure sensors the ones Tires Retailers insist on replacing with new tires - . I've got one tire sensor in my C5 that is and has acted up for over a year, sometimes it works properly and sometimes it tells me that I have low air pressure. I'm thinking about programming them out.

Now I'm wondering if a Lady friend of mine that weighs 95 pounds will trigger the gel bag sensor when she's sitting on the seat, with her hard Buns seat Cushion. I might have to test this....

Me, I want the Passenger side airbag to Always be activated. If I where is an Auto accident by myself, the passenger side air bag might Stop or Slow flying Junk coming through the windshield or window.

Plus the Library of Congress which oversees the Copyright Office recently ruled that it is LEGAL for Vehicle Owners to "HACK", modify, their vehicle computers. Auto makes were not happy as they stated the "Software Programs" were their intellectual property. NOPE.... Owners have been Hacking computer code in Auto computers for decades, and that does include engines, body control modules and transmission modules, all small microcontroler based systems.

Owners have been modifying, brakes, engines, transmissions, bodies, suspension, on and on..... all Legal and some very Dangerous.

Installing a connector plug into here the gel bag connect was plugged is actually Safer.]]]
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2016, 04:23 PM
Technical Moderator

Sorry, but my statement and request stands.

Not wanting an argument, stating facts.

FYI, the side airbags are not controlled by the seat switch. Personal experience. The side curtain bags can deploy when the frontal bags do not.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:27 PM
Technical Moderator

Please site a source.
"Plus the Library of Congress which oversees the Copyright Office recently ruled that it is LEGAL for Vehicle Owners to "HACK", modify, their vehicle computers. Auto makes were not happy as they stated the "Software Programs" were their intellectual property. NOPE.... Owners have been Hacking computer code in Auto computers for decades, and that does include engines, body control modules and transmission modules, all small microcontroler based systems. "

Last I heard was the opposite. GM claims the computers are theirs under DMCA.

That was April 2015, turns out the update in November 2015 is what you are referring to:
http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2015/11/09...-tvs/id=62834/

I stand corrected.

Last edited by donbrew; 04-18-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Don.....

I'm not getting into this argument, But I had read this a long time ago......

Library of Congress issues new copyright rules legalizing car and TV hacking

Google will give you many references.

EDIT.... oops you already found a reference.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:11 PM

First Up, removing the Corvette rear mounting brackets that are riveted onto the seat rail

The steel is easy to drill and isn't tempered. I used a 1/4 inch pilot drill and then a 3/8 inch drill bit to Pop off the rivet heads, Goes quickly

I also placed a 3x1 inch flat steel plate under the bracket while I was drilled to protect the Leather

On occasion the rivets need a little Wack to pop them out.

And I found that a Pen Magnetic was a good way to remove the metal chips from the rail or any that ended up in other places...

Either hole in the seat tgrack can be used to bolt the seat in place. Pretty much depends on ones needs for Leg Room..
Attached Images    
Old 04-18-2016, 08:12 PM
Technical Moderator

Exactly the one I posted in my edit at 7:07 PM. I guess we were typing at the same time.

Quick Reply: Installed Corvette C6 SEATS, LOVE THEM