General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 01:10 PM

Mods

Of course I'm going to change it I've never left any car I've owned stock.

I just picked up my HHR Half Panel, I had been looking for a Panel for the last 5 years on and off. After seeing some of them I fully understand the owners wanting to keep them.

Remember I am new to the HHR - I passed on a low mileage (60,000) SS Half Panel, just a beautiful car, but the asking price was 15K, which from not knowing I thought was high. After reading I realize that it was closely priced to what it is worth, but still more then I wanted to spend.

Well I found my 2009 Half Panel for half that price and though it is a 2.2L gutless wonder I really like the car. I'm recovering from to many speeding tickets in my other cars, so the speed isn't a factor with my HHR. I needed a good driving - good looking daily driver that got better gas mileage then my others.

OK - to the point. I wouldn't call these mods but I will be changing all the filters and fluids pretty soon. Really the only issue I had with the car is the nose had quite a bite of road rash that had been poorly painted over. I ordered a new painted bumper cover and new badges, headlights (CA sun kills the clear lens) just because parts for this car seem very inexpensive to me.

First mod - I know everyone jumps on their motors as the first thing they what to improve, but I also have done the suspension first. I've already ordered new slotted front rotors and pads and KYB struts and shocks (these were needed).

Second mod - I would like disc brakes on the back. I know that the SS come with Brembos as an option? Can you buy them outright? Or did the SS come stock with GM disc brakes on the back that will fit my HHR? Basically, can you buy GM disc's to match the front that are already on the car?

Curious about the rear SWAY BAR that most seem to be putting on the car. I haven't driven the car on curvy roads yet and don't know if it really needs it. Though the HHR is kinda heavy for a small car, so it might.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated
Old 07-26-2016, 01:33 PM

Welcome!

Suspension is always a great thing to replace, especially if you're getting around the 75k mark. The HHR is known for having leaky struts when they get around that mileage. You will notice a ride difference replacing bad struts and shocks!

If you want to do disc brakes on the back, you actually have to go through a conversion process, which includes finding an SS rear axle to install on your non SS HHR. The search bar at the top is a great way to find stuff on the site - This link should help you with gaining info on doing this - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brak...acement-54159/

Yes - Brembos (in the front only) were an option for the SS. You could put them on your non SS HHR, but you will need something larger than a 16" wheel to clear the caliper.

Rear sway bar is suppose to be a great little upgrade - it helps reduce body roll. I just ordered mine from Turbo Tech Racing so I can't speak from experience, but anyone with one will swear by how great they are.

If you're ready to buy a rear sway bar, TTR is currently doing 20% off their rear sway bars using the promo "HHRTTRSS20" . You can order one here - Turbo Tech Racing Rear Sway Bar 1" (25.4MM) Cobalt/HHR 05-11 Saturn Redline

Good luck, and welcome!
Old 07-26-2016, 02:15 PM
Administrator

I'd highly recommend the TTR rear sway bar and upgrading to SS non Brembo front discs!!
Old 07-26-2016, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the discount. I just order the sway bar!

Do the SS front disc brakes bolt up to the LS model? I believe that the rims on my LS are SS rims, is that correct? So they should clear, is that correct. Sorry for all the questions.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Fwiw. Those rims on your car don't appear to be HHR SS rims. They look like they may be from a Cobalt ?
Anyhow. SS rims are 18 inch size. If yours are 18's, then you shouldn't have any clearance issues going with larger brakes.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:01 PM
Administrator

A great how to!!

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brak...ard-hhr-42938/
Old 07-26-2016, 10:16 PM

Thanks for all the info - the rims are 17" - good brake info as well. I'm learning very quickly about the HHR. The KYB struts and shocks arrived today and this seems to be the only mechanical issue with the car, but in my mind normal to change them out with the mileage on the car.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:56 PM

I did the Rear disc swap on my LT. You will need the following parts from one of the following cars:

Possible donor cars:
HHR SS 2.0T
Cobalt SS 2.4l N/A
Cobalt Sport 2.4L N/A
Cobalt SS 2.0 S/C
Cobalt SS 2.0T

Parts required:
Rear swing axle assembly
Rear disc brake assembly(Calipers, rotors, etc)
Handbrake cables
Brake fluid reservoir with distribution valve(not required, but highly recommended)

The swap itself is very straight forward, it's finding the parts that can be difficult.

If there was only one mod I could do to my suspension, it would be a rear sway bar. I haven't tried the TTR piece, but I do have the one from Powell Race Shop, and I can say it is a night and day difference. If you want something that corners, but still rides well, I would recommend YYZ springs, and the Hardcore rear sway bar, both from Powell Race shop.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Airfoto
Thanks for the heads up on the discount. I just order the sway bar!

Do the SS front disc brakes bolt up to the LS model? I believe that the rims on my LS are SS rims, is that correct? So they should clear, is that correct. Sorry for all the questions.
The rims you have are the optional HHR rim/wheel they offered on the 2007-2008 LT/LS models. I bought a set off of another member on this site, but when I was looking for them I was labeling them as SS/TC wheels. Another member informed that they were in fact the optional HHR wheel, they were only offered for 2007-2008, and they were quite the expensive upgrade from factory. When I bought them, the outside of the wheel had a factory stamp that said "2007 HHR". Take good care of them! I have them on my LT during the summer months.

The SS rim/wheel are 18s and the spokes are wider.

They may clear the brembo caliper, but you might need to put a wheel spacer - the zzp brembo kit comes with them - Ecotec Parts 12.25 inch Front Brake Kit with Brembo Calipers
Old 07-27-2016, 10:29 AM

Again, I thank you all for the info, good stuff.

I'm thinking the disc in the rear are out for now. I'm not in a position to be doing any serious maintenance, having a knee replacement mod to my frame next month. The price of abuse.

One of the rims has a little curb rash that I have looked to replace and have only found one on the internet - $350.00 exchange. I'll keep looking. Interesting about the 06 - 07 having them as an option. The car was built in Oct of 2008 so it's possible they did come with the car, which was a one owner before I got it. Who ever owned it took excellent care of car, the interior looks new, I couldn't believe it when I saw it because of all the others I had looked at over the years, only the ones people were keeping looked better. I couldn't pay for the car fast enough made my day.

Has anyone made a front brake air vent conversion out of where the fog lights go? It seems that it would be an easy thing to do. I've already been figuring out how to do it, though I don't think these brakes get as hot as the ones on my Z06, which I have done the brake vent mod to, it needed it badly.

Quick Reply: Mods