General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Ran fuel tank empty, ran out of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Founding Member

Ran fuel tank empty, ran out of gas?

Has anyone done this in their HHR (yet)?
I havent run out of fuel in a car in a very long time.

I had read that a fuel injected system needs to be 'primed' with fuel to get the air bubbles out.

What ya'll got to say about it?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Banned

I have never ran a vehicle dry! I won't let it get under a 1/8 tank.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:27 PM

not in my hhr, but i did run out in my 2000 jetta once. i didn't do anything special to it, just put some gas in. it kinda' hesitated a little when i started driving again, but after that, it was fine.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
Has anyone done this in their HHR (yet)?
I havent run out of fuel in a car in a very long time.

I had read that a fuel injected system needs to be 'primed' with fuel to get the air bubbles out.

What ya'll got to say about it?
The HHR's fuel system has return lines to the canister (this clears any air), I'm sure it will prime just from the pump.
Once you add fuel to the tank, turn the key "on" with the window down and wait until you hear the fuel pump quit pumping.
Then crank the key and you should get fire within a few seconds.

Hope it helps,
Old 08-09-2006, 07:30 PM

On older cars you had to worry about what the pump would suck up into the lines, but on something new, I wouldn't worry about running it dry just yet.
The pump will do its job and will suck up fuel as soon as there is some. It might take a little bit of time to start, but it will come back.
You can make the fuel pump 'prime' by turning the key on but not starting it. You can hear the pump run for a second then stop. That is putting pressure on the lines so when the car turns over there is enough to make the injectors work.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:30 PM

Did some searching and found this online. I'll keep searching and see if I come up with anything else.

You can also cycle the ignition key to bring fuel to the motor. That is turn the key to the on position (not run), listen for a hum (electric fuel pump), when it ends turn to off. Wait 5 seconds, turn the key back to the run position, and repeat this five times. If this doesn't work, then you have a different problem
Old 08-09-2006, 09:03 PM

Back in the days (carbs, and no I'm not talking Atkins) we used to drive on "fumes" no problem. But with Fuel Injection that is no longer recommended.

Most F.I. vehicles have the fuel pump inside the gas tank and the fuel acts as a cooling agent for the pump. Running the vehicle on "fumes" will shorten the life of a F.I. fuel pump. Also all the junk sits at the bottom of the tank including water from condensation. The lowest I'll go is when the ID-10-T light comes on. That usually means you have 3 gallons left and time for a pit-stop. My :2cnets:

Ng
Old 08-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Deceased

i had a 2.3 turbo diesel and was going to Cincinatti for a convention and i got to a town and i was on empty and all of a sudden couldnt find diesel.

i finally found a station w kerosene and was pulling off the road and it ran out on the ramp. i had a gas can and got some kerosene and put 2.5 gallons in. there was a primer on the fuel filter line.

primed it, turned key on and it started great
only time i have ever run out of gas.

if i kept my 2.3 around 70 to 75 i could go 800 miles on an 18 gal tank and still had fuel to look for a gas station. it was right at 1500 miles to cincy and it took me 2 tanks of diesel. the drag was the convention was in Feb and i had to plug the truck in overnight and run it from my hotel room w a long extension cord

i miss that truck
Old 08-10-2006, 12:37 AM

Old cars with mechanical fuel pumps need priming. I have never had to prime a car with an electic fuel pump. I've got a 20+ year old daughter so I have some experience with cars running out of gas.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:38 AM

Just One Question, Sindy, What the heck you doing running out of gas. I know you`re not Boycotting or waiting for prices to go down...

Quick Reply: Ran fuel tank empty, ran out of gas?