General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Where can I find a listing of the original installed equipment? Onstar or Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 10:26 AM

Where can I find a listing of the original installed equipment? Onstar or Bluetooth?

I just bought a 09 2LT with 76,000 miles to replace the 08 LS with 78,000 miles that was totaled last week when I hit a deer.

The car was listed as having bluetooth but when I attempted to pair with my phone I didn't get any responses. After reading several threads here I realized this car may not have Onstar. It has the manual mirror and not the auto dimming one with the Onstar buttons. It was originally put in service as a rental. I wanted to check the codes to be sure but there isn't any label in the glove box. Is there someplace I can get a listing of the equipment on this car like would have been on the original window sticker or someplace I can get all the codes that would have been on the glove box label? Since it was a rental it may have been equipped differently than a "normal" 2LT and that would be nice to know.

Where is the Onstar module actually located? Is it in that mirror? If so then maybe all I would need to do is switch out the mirror and then I would be able to have bluetooth. That would be on the assumption that all the correct connections are present on my car. It has the leather wrapped steering wheel with the buttons on the right.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 05-29-2016, 10:48 AM
Technical Moderator

Go to any local GM service department with your VIN, they will be able to give you an "as built" listing. I think the Parts department can even order a new label for the glove box.

The OnStar module is behind the rear quarter panel trim, I don't remember which side ( RR ). OnStar is unusual in rentals, as is bluetooth.

Do you have the "shark fin" on the rear of the roof?

For an Owner Manual follow the link in my sig.

Last edited by donbrew; 05-30-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:50 AM
Administrator

There was a VIN decoder available
Old 05-29-2016, 11:03 AM
Technical Moderator

Unfortunately the VIN decoder won't tell you the options installed.

Maybe, if you join the GM owners site you can get it. From the 2011 Owner Manual:
www.chevyownercenter.com

But, here is one:
https://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/
Old 05-29-2016, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Go to any local GM service department with your VIN, they will be able to give you an "as built" listing. I think the Parts department can even order a new label for the glove box.

The OnStar module is behind the rear quarter panel trim, I don't remember which side. OnStar is unusual in rentals, as is bluetooth.

Do you have the "shark fin" on the rear of the roof?

For an Owner Manual follow the link in my sig.

Thanks for all the info! I will check with the dealer on Tuesday for a list since I have to talk to them anyway. Surprisingly it had the owner's manual and I have already read a lot of it.

I had a GMC Acadia rental for the past week and it did have bluetooth. It showed on my phone but I didn't get it to pair. My car doesn't have the shark fin though. Didn't think to check that. That means that most likely the module isn't present so I am out of luck for the OEM bluetooth. Oh well it wouldn't have been a deal breaker if I had known when I bought it. I had a very hard time finding one that with the mileage and the price I was willing to pay.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:00 PM
Technical Moderator

The pairing procedure in the OM is a little different than what I've used. Look under "Instrument Panel" that's where they put in the 2011 book, some years it's in "entertainment system".
Old 05-29-2016, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The pairing procedure in the OM is a little different than what I've used. Look under "Instrument Panel" that's where they put in the 2011 book, some years it's in "entertainment system".

Thankfully I don't have that Acadia anymore that I wasn't able to pair with. If my new car doesn't have onstar then I will just continue using the little bluetooth speaker I had for the old car. I will talk to the dealer about getting that options list and also see if I can get a replacement sticker for the glove compartment.

I set up an account at the GM owner center just now. For some reason it didn't have anything listed under vehicle history when I put in the VIN even though the carfax showed it was serviced several times at a chevy dealer.

Thanks for the info. You guys are great and this forum has a ton of info!
Old 05-29-2016, 01:41 PM
Technical Moderator

Just because you get the oil changed physically at a GM location does not mean that GM has anything to do with the work. Some of them lease the oil bay to some guy off the street.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:33 PM

If you dont have bluetooth, this one is smaller than your pinky, plugs right in to the aux, and is $20
I've used it for 3 years without a hitch.

Amazon.com: GOgroove SMARTmini AUX Bluetooth Receiver Car Kit with Hands-Free Calling and Wireless Music Streaming - Works with Apple , Samsung , HTC and More: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: GOgroove SMARTmini AUX Bluetooth Receiver Car Kit with Hands-Free Calling and Wireless Music Streaming - Works with Apple , Samsung , HTC and More: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 05-31-2016, 11:58 PM

I talked to the salesman this morning and told him that the car didn't have bluetooth as advertised. He wasn't aware that some rentals delete Onstar and bluetooth is associated with Onstar. He got the vehicle build sheet for me and sure enough the Onstar was deleted. I would have liked the OEM bluetooth and do miss the autodimming mirror but oh well I'm loving the car!

Quick Reply: Where can I find a listing of the original installed equipment? Onstar or Bluetooth?