"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:04 AM

So several weeks back my check engine light came on and the hard shifting started. When I checked codes came back P0013, P0014 and camshaft position sensor (forgot code#) So I replaced the camshaft position sensor and that didnt resolve. This was before I read this post so my dumb self took it to my local dealer, Landers McClarty in Huntsville, AL. When their "diagnosis" was that they'd have to open the engine cover and replace the actuator itself (as opposed to the sensor) at a tune of $715 I knew I was being raped. So upon further research, including this wonderful thread, I went to parts and bought both the intake and exhaust solenoids for $100 and replaced them myself within an hour's time. What do you know!...no more hard shifting!! So I technically saved $600 (really $500 because I paid the diagnostic fee--that's my fee for being dumb decision) but the hard evidence I have about that dealer is worth a lot more than that.

But although the hard shifting is resolved, the engine is running rough primarily at low-ends in low gears. No trouble code and it seems like a fuel-air mixure or ignition issue so my next step is to change the plugs. I suspect that by running it for a bit too long with bad actuator solenoid(s) it may have gunked up the plugs & stuff. Anybody experience this side too?
Old 09-17-2010, 10:31 AM

Whopper, thank you for a great write up. Let me suggest an enhancement to the procedure: First, disconnect the battery. Although I went through your procedure with no sparks flying or wrenches welded to my ring, it is a good safety habit to always reduce the electrical potential of the entire system to zero. As a side benefit, it will clear the error codes while the work is being done. Again, a thousand thanks for your outstanding work on this procedure.
Since the air box was off, I took the opportunity to put in a new air filter element too.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Santa Fe Jay
Whopper, thank you for a great write up. Let me suggest an enhancement to the procedure: First, disconnect the battery. Although I went through your procedure with no sparks flying or wrenches welded to my ring, it is a good safety habit to always reduce the electrical potential of the entire system to zero. As a side benefit, it will clear the error codes while the work is being done. Again, a thousand thanks for your outstanding work on this procedure.
Since the air box was off, I took the opportunity to put in a new air filter element too.
Good tip on disconnecting the battery - it may help those that have triggered the CEL, and the CEL does not go out on it's own once the solenoids are replaced.

And re air filter - I replaced mine at the same time too.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Santa Fe Jay
Whopper, thank you for a great write up. Let me suggest an enhancement to the procedure: First, disconnect the battery.
Originally Posted by whopper
Good tip on disconnecting the battery - it may help those that have triggered the CEL, and the CEL does not go out on it's own once the solenoids are replaced.
Added this as the first thing to do.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:56 PM

Thumbs up Thanks for the write up

I was having the TC and Check engine issue and got the exhaust cam codes on the reader. I found your posting and once I was able to track down the part, (had to get it from a GM dealer) I followed your instructions and replaced the part with no problem at all. Its been a week and no issue. It only cost me $55 for the part.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:49 AM

Trouble lights...

I've had similar trouble light issues, and did a lot of research, finally being directed to this DIY.
To recap my problems, T/C light, hard shifting, check engine light. I even bought an ElmScan compact tool to read the codes. Cleared codes, cleaned MAF sensor and still ended up with the trouble lights.
So I have just now replaced both exh/int cam sensors. not a large investment and with this DIY, a very simple process.
My concern is the codes I was ending up with weren't the specific codes I've seen indicated here.
My codes have been: P0171 (lean fuel mixture), and P0300 (Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected). P0171 being the persistent code.
My dealer at one point told me I had uneven fuel flow indicating a bad injector. $440.00 to fix. I had not noticed any affect on performance except fuel mileage was somewhat diminished.
So to get to my point, I've got this great tool but I really don't have a clue as to how to take the information it can give me and do some diagnostics for my problems. Is there a reference I can use to compare the various readings I can get from my ScanTool for my HHR.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:01 PM

Thumbs up reading codesand fixing

you might want to try www.CanOBD2.com cost $9.99 gives all the info to fix and parts needed and the time to fix. I got this info from the scanner I bought, good luck.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 PM

Troubles continue..........

Originally Posted by jay loukakis
you might want to try www.CanOBD2.com cost $9.99 gives all the info to fix and parts needed and the time to fix. I got this info from the scanner I bought, good luck.
I actually followed your advise, cost went up to $14.99 but it still seemed like a worthwhile investment.
I'm STILL having code P0171, can't kick it. Hard shifting and all. I've been trying the Techron additive, did the Lucas product about a month ago, bottom line I still have a lean mixture detected. I'm thinking replacing the injectors is the solution. Anyone out there have a part number so I can do some web searching?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:53 AM
Platinum Member

Easier to do a search for the part number - ie: http://www.racepages.com/parts/fuel_injector/hhr.html look for the AC DELCO ones

Port Orchard!!!! My brother-in-law down your way found a dead bear in the woods not far from you. He wasn't able to get the OBD-II codes from the bear tho' - left the code reader at home!! :)
Old 01-11-2011, 08:06 AM

Bear?

Hadn't heard about the bear.
Still getting the P0171 code and the hard shift symptoms. While searching for injector part number (I did find what I needed, good price, too) I was lead to a thread on this forum on TSB's by ChevyMngr.
My problem isn't new, TSB for this issue is 2 years old, cleaning or replacing the injectors won't solve the problem as the ECM also needs to be updated.
I have an appt. with my selling dealer with the hope that GM will assist on this. I'm way past warranty so I don't expect the world but any help at this point would be a plus.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14