Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

5-speed manual maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 03:35 PM

I've noticed that mine is a "little cranky" to go into 1st. Usually nothing that pulling it out and putting it back won't fix (that's what she said)

Had a SC2 that wouldn't go into 1st if the car was stopped. Turned out that it needed new cables as the ball on the end of the cable was pretty much hollowed out. If you happen to be in that area of your Vue (hhr's too) might want to check and see if that is the case. Speaking of...is the HHR cable shift or rod shift?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by SmootHHR
.is the HHR cable shift or rod shift?
Cable
Old 02-18-2010, 07:51 PM

The Vue has cables too...

Interestingly, in the Vue owners manual it even says that if you have trouble shifting into 1st to let out the clutch and redepress it and then it should go in.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:17 AM

Do you find that the tranny gets more temperamental in the winter months? Seems the colder it gets outside the harder it is to get it into 1st from a cold start.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by TiggersHHR
Do you find that the tranny gets more temperamental in the winter months? Seems the colder it gets outside the harder it is to get it into 1st from a cold start.
yes, tranny fluid's not warmed up yet.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by TiggersHHR
On the Vue it seems to be worse in the winter (especially getting into reverse) but in the summer months the only problem is occasionally getting into 1st gear from a dead stop.

I've gotten into the habit of shifting into 2nd and then into 1st if I have trouble while I'm waiting at a red light and it rarely gives me a hard time.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:55 PM

My shifter is good on my '08' LT1, it's the shift knob that was crap. The pretty looking chrome plastic broke off on two knobs, before I replaced it myself with a solid one piece knob.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by jonny4eyes
My shifter is good on my '08' LT1, it's the shift knob that was crap. The pretty looking chrome plastic broke off on two knobs, before I replaced it myself with a solid one piece knob.
Where did you get a replacement? Is it the fake plastic chrome look too? I think it's cool but I don't like how it's 1/2 fake plastic chrome and 1/2 charcoal plastic. Is your new one the whole ball?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:47 PM

Good posts from everyone....bought my 07 Lt2 with 5 speed with around 94,000 K on it (sorry Canada eh....around 60,000 Miles south of the border). Discussion with my usual mechanics ended up with a "what the heck ..never a bad idea to change those types of fluids consensus....so we did. Seemed to shift a little smoother, but nothing significant. I wasn't really having a problem just wanted some peace of mind. Cost to me...$12 bucks worth of fluid from my Chevy dealer ( only one warranty approved ) and about $55 dollars for the shop time. Pretty cheap peace of mind Knowing she can handle being driven uh enthusiastically. :) I also change the crappy stock shift knob.....that was very interesting. The after market folks take for granted that the shaft will be threaded....Chevy had a different idea as you have probably discovered. Good news is that it tapped nicely and the gloss black smooth all around shift knob now provides a very nice feel while looking way better then that two piece ugly thing with the chrome chipping off that came from the factory. A bit more effort then expected but well worth it.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:47 AM

While we speak of Tranny's, has anyone compared the Getrag in the Caliber's to ours, I know the SRT4 Caliber's have a 6-speed and I believe there front drive? Just a thought I've been having, I don't like the gearing we get, or rather, I don't like buzzin the R's when I'm on a trip which is where mine gets the most miles

Quick Reply: 5-speed manual maintenance