Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Clay Bar Your HHR

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SindyDix
I am in need of this clay bar... where do I get it?
An auto parts store in the cleaning products section.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:38 AM

I am in need of this clay bar... where do I get it?
I'll take my car back to the dealer to do the detailing. I'll do what I can reach for now until I can get it to the dealer this weekend.
You can get it at any auto store. I wouldn't have the dealer do it.....it will cost you an arm and a leg!! It isn't that hard to do but make sure that you go back and give it a good wax job afterwards!!
Old 04-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Founding Member

A co-worker mentioned having the dealer do an acid bath. Whatcha think on that method?
I personally am unable to do wax/polishing type stuff due to medical issues. I'll do what I can though.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:01 PM

A co-worker mentioned having the dealer do an acid bath. Whatcha think on that method?
I personally am unable to do wax/polishing type stuff due to medical issues. I'll do what I can though.

Never heard of the acid bath.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Banned

I have never heard of a vehicle acid bath but it doesn't sound too good. I know sometimes when I send parts out for plating they require an acid bath. If it's the same type of acid bath it would strip the paint right off your HHR. In the type of acid bath I know of they soak the parts in hydrochloric acid if I remember correctly.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by NY HHR
Never heard of the acid bath.
An acid bath is fine if you want to not only get rid of the rail dust...but all the paint down to the bare metal as well.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by ultramicrofiber
Place a plastic drop cloth underneath the area you are working on.
ha ha I wish I knew this years ago. I had to throw out so many of them.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:48 PM

Acid bath is loose term used for one method of removing rail dust from the car. It is a very common practice and it should be covered by the dealer as part of the prep if you have rail dust on your paint. The advantage of the acid bath over clay bar is that it removes the rail dust off of EVERYTHING, not just the paint. It will take it off of the mirrors, the chrome, the windows, etc.

The acid solution is designed for use on painted surfaces without damaging the paint. If you do not get the rail dust removed (if you have it), you will get tiny rust specs in your white paint that will be more damaging to the paint than the acid bath solution.

Both methods have their pros and cons (clay bar vs acid bath). If your dealer will do either one for free, it is all good.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:52 PM
Banned

Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Founding Member

I called the dealer and was old to make an appointment for service (RE:Rail dust). Waited for a return call as suggest to make this appointment. It dident come by the end of my work day. I couldent wait. On my way home from work I bought the clay bar stuff. It's allot easier than I thought it would be to do. With my limitations, I am able to do this task with some difficulty though. I just have to make the attempt to rid my car of these horrible specks of yuck!
Thanks for the advice guys!

Quick Reply: Clay Bar Your HHR