Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?
-
Go Back   Chevy HHR Network > General Discussion > Maintenance and Upkeep > Replacing front turn signal bulb?
-

Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #1

Member #: 4311
Check out my gallery 
Replacing front turn signal bulb?

The owners manual shows that you remove three fasteners from the wheel well to access the lamp assembly. One is a screw and two are pop rivets. They are out and there is no way to reach the lamp asembly as the wheel well plastic is quite stiff and inflexable.

Do you need to remove the tire and the entire wheel well molding to get at the lamp assembly?

Such a simple job and such big PITA.
Old Lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Member #: 1557
Check out my gallery 
Yes it is a PITA for such a simple job. But that's what you have to do. The wheel well liner will pull back, you can either turn the wheel fully to the inside (front) or take it off.

Black chrome lower billet, black chrome custom grill, K&N, LED tails, stock fogs on aftermarket wiring kit, 48" RECON "Big Rig" running board lights, 18" Cobalt Polished alloys, turbo tech sway bar. all exterior lights swapped to LED's, 35w 5K DDM HIDs. Upgraded to SS front rotors.
solman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #3

Check out my gallery 
I found at least six more fasteners that hold the wheel well liner in place once I removed the front tire. Easy to get at the socket once the liner was removed, but a PITA to spend about two hours climbing under the car locating things that hold the wheel well liner in place, and putting it back together. It took 20 seconds to replace the bulb.

I had to fix it today as cold weather is coming back to Florida.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #4

Member #: 46840
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lar View Post
I found at least six more fasteners that hold the wheel well liner in place once I removed the front tire. Easy to get at the socket once the liner was removed, but a PITA to spend about two hours climbing under the car locating things that hold the wheel well liner in place, and putting it back together. It took 20 seconds to replace the bulb.

I had to fix it today as cold weather is coming back to Florida.
Boy you sure like doing extra work. I know you have been a member for a long time and thought you would know the best method by reading everything. On page 5-41 of your owners manual they have a pic of the 3 fasteners you need to remove and the steps required. I've done it and it isn't that bad even for a old senior like me in my late 60's.
wmsburghhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #5

Check out my gallery 
That was where I started, but those three fastners didnot allow the wheel liner to move. My wheel liner extends to under the front bumper and held in place by three more fasteners, one screw and two push pins. There was one more screw that held the back of the wheel well liner in place.

The wheel liner in my '06 is rather inflexable ie stiff. There were two more push pins in the top edge and once removed, the wheel liner could be pulled away to access the light assembly.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #6

Member #: 14820
Check out my gallery 
It seems to me, it just couldn't have cost GM that much more, to provide a removable cutout in that liner, so we could access the back of that headlight assembly.
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Member #: 1280
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmsburghhr View Post
Boy you sure like doing extra work. I know you have been a member for a long time and thought you would know the best method by reading everything. On page 5-41 of your owners manual they have a pic of the 3 fasteners you need to remove and the steps required. I've done it and it isn't that bad even for a old senior like me in my late 60's.
I concur. It wasn't that tough for me either. (I'm younger but not enough to matter)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
db/sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #8

Member #: 19147
Check out my gallery 
Three pins and moving the wheel is all

This is the same maneuver needed to replace the headlight bulbs. I found that out the hard way when a body shop "did me a favor" and replaced my headlights with blue bulbs that each died separate deaths within 3 months. For that, moving the wheels toward the outside gave better access. Before that, I had managed to replace bad front side marker lights on my and girlfriend's HHR by just turning wheels inward, removing 3 fasteners, etc. I don't why it was so hard for that other person.

Other threads talk about the $10 puller....
2007 Black 2LT w/ factory: ebony heated leather seats, splash guards, running boards, step pad, spoiler, roof rails, sunroof, polished wheels, cargo organizer. Manual transmission. Mods: Red IPCW lights, black center caps, individual high-mount brake LEDs, TTR rear sway bar, TWM short shifter with Type R weighted shift knob, lower billet grille, Fiamm El Grande twin horns, MUTH heated signal mirrors, U-Haul hitch, Thule bicycle rack.
Doctuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Member #: 1280
Check out my gallery 
Puller for what? The fasteners? I don't recall using or needing any special tools.
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
db/sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #10

Member #: 8531
Check out my gallery 
Have to say I was able to change mine by removing the three fastners and reaching in and removing the bulb holder.
The inner liner does take some force to move but it can be done!

Mike R
All total, 10 minutes and a 7 MM nut drive, wide flat blade screw driver.

BTW 3157 Bulb.
MikeRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:37 PM

submit to reddit