Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

rock guard panels

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 05:46 AM

rock guard panels

I searched for an answer and found out that I am not alone with this problem. The rock guard panels, on both sides, in front of the rear wheel wells, is now so bad (sandblasted. that I need to do something to make them look respectable. I have seen one post where someone added chrome ones, but searched online for over an hour yesterday, and found every chrome HHR aftermarket site on the web. I think I can buy a chrome cover for just about everthing, EXCEPT these rock guards. I found another post where a composite cover was added.... and did the PM thing which works sometimes, or not... so I thought I would post a couple of questions. First, how do the rock guards come off? I suspect you use a heat gun to heat them so the tape/glue on the back loosens a bit and pry them off? What do you use to put them back on after you refinish them? The post showed a "composite 3M" material..... anybody have an idea where you can buy that? Any help/suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:04 AM
Technical Moderator

I am guessing you have a 2006? The hard plastic body color ones are stuck on with 3M, tape available from GM. Later years use a clear film available from GM. I can't find the film right now, but I know it is available from personal experience.

You could get an alternative from any window tinting shop.

EXTERIOR TRIM - REAR DOOR for 2006 Chevrolet HHR | GMPartsOutlet.net

Listed as discontinued.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:12 AM

Hi Don..... thanks for the reply and answer...... Actually I own a dark red (cranberry) 2007 Chevy HHR...... I understand the 3M tape to hold them on and that should not be that hard to find online etc... but, have you ever removed these panels and if so, did you simply use a heat gun and are there any pitfalls to watch for when you do this? My thoughts are that you just heat them and then use something like a spackling tool to pry a bit if need be.... again... thanks for the help.... I just would like to hear from someone who has been there and done that....
Old 12-20-2016, 08:46 AM
Technical Moderator

Thin fishing line, dental floss just like any other applique. I have never done it myself, but I have removed stick on mirrors, emblems and such. Not sure if a heat gun would help with the hard plastic model, but is the tool for the film type.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:54 AM
Technical Moderator

This is what they sell now. FILM. Bulk Fabric/Protective Covering. A46 DOOR HARDWARE/REAR PART 1; for 2008 Chevrolet HHR. #25791044

A few years ago they had pre cut pieces, I had CarMax get one a few years ago.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:27 AM

This is why I like my Running boards. I don't need them to get in or out.
26,000 miles and no pitting or damage of any kind to the rear area.

A lot depends on the environment you drive in and I do not have a lot of gravel roads etc.
Snow sanding can also be a big problem as they now use small pea gravel with the sand here.
That also creates an issue for the front of the car... hood, front fenders/bumper, etc.

On my 1rst HHR with factory boards I added factory front and rear guards as well. No rear damage at all.
I guess it also depends on how you feel about the Looks of both of these items.

I wonder if the 2006 protectors could satisfactorily be painted to match the car and then add at least front guards?

SF

Last edited by Silverfox; 12-20-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:45 AM

thanks

Well, I punched in the number for the part and every supply company listed it as obsolete; so much for that. I totally forgot about the fish line trick and of course, used for windshield installation as well.... I do know that I have heard of panels being removed with heat first and then I will try the fish line. Apparently, I have nothing to lose... As for the car, it was one of those West Metro deals back when, and we found it by accident.... and took a chance. The deal was that it would be a lease return, and when it came in, it would be detailed in St. Cloud and then delivered to the dealer.... we would be notified, and had 24 hours to buy it... we drove up and bought it immediately; it was a great deal. I found out that it was originally from a dealer in Omaha and then leased to a company in California.... that's why there were no running boards I assume.... I might just pull them off, and paint them now but I don't really want to spend any money on the car... it is still a very nice car but has 140,000 on it now and is our second car now.... I do wonder if the HHR will be a collector car some day though... might be nice to keep around.... thanks again....
Old 12-20-2016, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Why remove the guards , mask and paint!
Old 12-20-2016, 12:10 PM

considered that

Yeah.... I considered that... but these have a layer of clear coat that is really ugly looking, and I want to remove that.. and then the panels are severely pitted like they have been sandblasted as well.... which essentially is what has happened.... so I will pull them and do it right perhaps with a little cosmetic bondo.... I had to paint some mirrors for my sports car a few years ago, and got a rattle can made up at a small town car parts place for a few bucks that matched perfectly.... I suppose I could get a rattle can made up of this color too... but it might just go back black, with no apologies what it looks like. The one I saw on Craigs List was chrome covered... I could not find them so I suspect the guy bought some JC Whitney chrome material and covered his with that... so it didn't look gaudy, or unique and out of place, the guy also spent money on chroming the side pillars, bumpers, and door handles as well as the chrome tipped exhaust... you can buy all those parts aftermarket yet, but not these panels.... strange... My only other project for this car this winter, is to pull out the carpeting and replace that.... but that too, is impossible to find so it will be the generic "auto bond" from Menards.... I have used that in several of the street rods I have built over the years, with pretty good results.... sure beats throwing in your billfold!
Have a good one.....
Old 12-20-2016, 12:21 PM
Administrator

These guys had perfect colour match in a rattle can for my 2007 IBM code 37

2007 Chevrolet Hhr Colors of Touch Up Paint

Quick Reply: rock guard panels