Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Transmission fluid change is easy

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Technical Moderator

"When I had my mech. change the pan and gasket got home and it was leaking"

Those gaskets are really hardy, and made to be re used. I would blame your mechanic for over torquing the bolts. I did that my first time around.

"Anybody know if this is the same procedure on an auto tranny SS? I have been thinking about doing it. "

I don't know of any differences in the trans pan. In fact, isn't it the same trans? At least it's the same trans housing, maybe different innards?

I found that I had to add some teflon tape to the drain plug, it did leak even with washer.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:19 PM

I just did the wifes HHR and the directions I got with the filter say to torque the 12 screws to 120 in lbs. I've seen other post on the net say the same thing. I think, no, I know this is incorrect and I torqued mine to 55 in lbs. 120 in lbs may be ok for for a steel housing, but for an aluminum transmission housing you may end up pulling the threads out.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:56 PM

Transmission shops used to drill a small hole in the torque converter, drain the oil, thread the hole and put a set screw in it.

Boydie
Old 06-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by djnhhr
120 in lbs may be ok for for a steel housing, but for an aluminum transmission housing you may end up pulling the threads out.

The thing to worry about is that the gasket is very thick rubber, and if you over tighten the bolts the pan gets bent into the gasket, thus causing leaks.

Whatever the correct torque may be, the goal is to get a uniform seal.

They "could" have made 3 times as many bolt holes or put reinforcements around the sealing edge of the pan. But, thicker gasket material is cheaper.

My book says 12 N.m. or 106 lb. in.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:34 PM

Another Source of Information

Originally Posted by donbrew
My book says 12 N.m. or 106 lb. in.
My 2009 FSM has 89 Lb. In. torque for the transmission pan bolts.

FSM statements about the fluid:
7 Quarts for bottom pan removal
9.5 Quarts for complete overhaul
12.9 Quarts for dry
all are approximate quantities.

No distinction between “complete overhaul” and “dry”. My suspicions are complete overhaul is with a filled torque converter and dry is what the factory puts in when the vehicle is on the assembly line.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:47 AM

Has anyone changed transmission on a 2011 HHR LT. It has 50k on it and I plan on towing behind motorhome 4wheels down.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Administrator

2006 thru 2011 would be the same procedure, I am sure other towers will chime in with their ideas for your plans to tow your HHR , and welcome to the site!!
Old 12-11-2013, 01:47 PM

thanks Oldblue for the info. I just joined the forum and look forward to reading about the HHR
Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Administrator

you have nothing to fear but fear itself, and getting the reply " do you use the search window" this forum has saved me time and money and unneeded repairs, just read the how to's and learn from others, and if your stumped ask away I would hazzard a guess as to the centuries of these guys have worked on cars and trucks and HHR's.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:39 PM

just putting my 2 cents in.. cause ill be doing the pan drop n drain soon. not a full throttle drain.. however yes there is fluid left in converter and lines etc.. if this is a major concern take it in to a shop...

my logic (not saying its right, just back yard logic)

when i did mine in all my other cars. just a pan drop and added extra coolers (which i wouldnt recommend unless your a tower or hotter environment). Anyway side tract... The fluid that is left in there will be so diluted from the new it will mix right in, it has never bothered any of my other cars. Ive always switched over to synthetic.

now this is a trick i did on my toy and a few other cars for ppl.. there is an after market kit for canister filter (the oil filters canister sylte on other cars not these). You put this under hood, out of the way in a safe place. hook this universal kit into your lines for your tranny line cooler. Basically this allows you to have another "filter" for the tranny and one you can change when you change your oil...

ALSO this allows an older style DIY trick of doing your tranny fluid, but I wont get into that...

just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change is easy