Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Electric Power Steering EZ fix no recall (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/electric-power-steering-ez-fix-no-recall-29172/)

FLORIDA 04-16-2010 02:49 PM

Electric Power Steering EZ fix no recall

Like many others soon after the Electric Power Steering recall on other GM like cars, Cobalt, but not HHR, I then experienced the Electric Power Steering problem. It would reset after it cooled down, but it tripped every day. I was able to fix it myself by replacing the Electric Power Steering motor under the dash on the column. It is mounted with 2 bolts. I was told the dealer would not issue a recall and it would cost about $400. I replaced it myself with the new replacement for only $125.

Snoopy 04-16-2010 02:54 PM

I believe you're the first person to complain of that problem. Others have had intermediate shaft and other such problems.

ChevyMgr 04-16-2010 02:55 PM

Keep your receipts. If it does get recalled you will get a refund. What part # did you install?

BlackknighT 04-16-2010 05:30 PM

ChevyMgr-
Just got my wifes 05 Cobalts "Notice of Pending Notification" for the recall. Shes got about 65,000 and no issues with the pwrstr motor. I think you had mentioned before to wait a while after the offical recall is out. Does this still hold true?

ChevyMgr 04-16-2010 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT (Post 458606)
ChevyMgr-
Just got my wifes 05 Cobalts "Notice of Pending Notification" for the recall. Shes got about 65,000 and no issues with the pwrstr motor. I think you had mentioned before to wait a while after the offical recall is out. Does this still hold true?

05's are recalled now so take it in to get the new motor. Just had an 06 HHR pull in 5 minutes ago with the power steering going off every 5 minutes. Hmmm no recall though.

GRUMPEE 04-16-2010 08:06 PM

My dealer finally did right with my father after last weeks fiasco. Had the Cobalt done this morning. All this talk of PS cutting out on the HHR is worrying me a little. I'm doing my semiannual pilgrimage to Las Vegas this weekend. Full load in the year one HHR - Parents, Sister and weeks work of Luggage. Here's hoping it's trouble free road trip like it has been the past dozen or so:thumb:

urbexHHR 04-16-2010 08:09 PM

Well, if it does go out on me, at least it's not like the car will accelerate to my death. I can drive without power steering, in fact I've pushed my truck and had to steer it many times!!! :lol: Be like the old days when power steering was only an option, or not even available! :nuts:

J W Davis 04-17-2010 10:11 PM

Grumpee.........Have a nice trip and good luck.:lol:

Don06 04-17-2010 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by FLORIDA (Post 458577)
Like many others soon after the Electric Power Steering recall on other GM like cars, Cobalt, but not HHR, I then experienced the Electric Power Steering problem. It would reset after it cooled down, but it tripped every day. I was able to fix it myself by replacing the Electric Power Steering motor under the dash on the column. It is mounted with 2 bolts. I was told the dealer would not issue a recall and it would cost about $400. I replaced it myself with the new replacement for only $125.

I would be contacting NHTSA. Chevy will need to explain why HHRs, that use the same steering as the Cobalt, are not included in the recall.

FLORIDA 04-21-2010 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Don06 (Post 458879)
I would be contacting NHTSA. Chevy will need to explain why HHRs, that use the same steering as the Cobalt, are not included in the recall.

Thanks - I contacted NHTSA. I will post the reply when I hear back.