Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Electric Power Steering EZ fix no recall (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/electric-power-steering-ez-fix-no-recall-29172/)

FLORIDA 04-16-2010 02:49 PM

Electric Power Steering EZ fix no recall

Like many others soon after the Electric Power Steering recall on other GM like cars, Cobalt, but not HHR, I then experienced the Electric Power Steering problem. It would reset after it cooled down, but it tripped every day. I was able to fix it myself by replacing the Electric Power Steering motor under the dash on the column. It is mounted with 2 bolts. I was told the dealer would not issue a recall and it would cost about $400. I replaced it myself with the new replacement for only $125.

Snoopy 04-16-2010 02:54 PM

I believe you're the first person to complain of that problem. Others have had intermediate shaft and other such problems.

ChevyMgr 04-16-2010 02:55 PM

Keep your receipts. If it does get recalled you will get a refund. What part # did you install?

BlackknighT 04-16-2010 05:30 PM

ChevyMgr-
Just got my wifes 05 Cobalts "Notice of Pending Notification" for the recall. Shes got about 65,000 and no issues with the pwrstr motor. I think you had mentioned before to wait a while after the offical recall is out. Does this still hold true?

ChevyMgr 04-16-2010 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT (Post 458606)
ChevyMgr-
Just got my wifes 05 Cobalts "Notice of Pending Notification" for the recall. Shes got about 65,000 and no issues with the pwrstr motor. I think you had mentioned before to wait a while after the offical recall is out. Does this still hold true?

05's are recalled now so take it in to get the new motor. Just had an 06 HHR pull in 5 minutes ago with the power steering going off every 5 minutes. Hmmm no recall though.

GRUMPEE 04-16-2010 08:06 PM

My dealer finally did right with my father after last weeks fiasco. Had the Cobalt done this morning. All this talk of PS cutting out on the HHR is worrying me a little. I'm doing my semiannual pilgrimage to Las Vegas this weekend. Full load in the year one HHR - Parents, Sister and weeks work of Luggage. Here's hoping it's trouble free road trip like it has been the past dozen or so:thumb:

urbexHHR 04-16-2010 08:09 PM

Well, if it does go out on me, at least it's not like the car will accelerate to my death. I can drive without power steering, in fact I've pushed my truck and had to steer it many times!!! :lol: Be like the old days when power steering was only an option, or not even available! :nuts:

J W Davis 04-17-2010 10:11 PM

Grumpee.........Have a nice trip and good luck.:lol:

Don06 04-17-2010 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by FLORIDA (Post 458577)
Like many others soon after the Electric Power Steering recall on other GM like cars, Cobalt, but not HHR, I then experienced the Electric Power Steering problem. It would reset after it cooled down, but it tripped every day. I was able to fix it myself by replacing the Electric Power Steering motor under the dash on the column. It is mounted with 2 bolts. I was told the dealer would not issue a recall and it would cost about $400. I replaced it myself with the new replacement for only $125.

I would be contacting NHTSA. Chevy will need to explain why HHRs, that use the same steering as the Cobalt, are not included in the recall.

FLORIDA 04-21-2010 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Don06 (Post 458879)
I would be contacting NHTSA. Chevy will need to explain why HHRs, that use the same steering as the Cobalt, are not included in the recall.

Thanks - I contacted NHTSA. I will post the reply when I hear back.

AlpacaSteve 04-27-2010 09:27 AM

I was also experiencing the Power Steering failure and the dealer was no help. I was afraid I would need to replace the motor also. However, I was also having the warped rotor issue (again) and found that after I replaced the rotors and the front end shimmy was cured I have not had the power steering failure again. There is some thought that the shimmy causes the power steering to overwork and therefore rapidly overheat.

Can't guarantee this is the ONLY issue, but thought I would throw it out as an intermediate, anecdotal experience. Those rotors need to be replaced anyway! :thumbsdow

solman98 04-27-2010 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr (Post 458579)
What part # did you install?

I'd like to know this also, just in case.....:lol:

My mother just got the notice for her 06 Cobalt, and also one for the fuel injectors (cracking issue). I told her to take it in as soon as she can, she's 78 and loosing PS could mess with her bad.

vtfb68 04-27-2010 10:31 AM

Mine went out @ 29,000 miles. It just becomes harder to steer, like the tires are low on air. no real safety issues. At first it would reset and stay good for a few days then rapidly became a every time you drive thing.
Victor

T 20 04-27-2010 03:59 PM

Could someome out there please tell me just what makes the PS work? Is it an electric motor over hydraulics?
Mo

ChevyMgr 04-27-2010 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by T 20 (Post 461125)
Could someome out there please tell me just what makes the PS work? Is it an electric motor over hydraulics?
Mo

Electric motor mounted to the steering column.

FLORIDA 05-03-2010 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by AlpacaSteve (Post 461040)
I was also experiencing the Power Steering failure and the dealer was no help. I was afraid I would need to replace the motor also. However, I was also having the warped rotor issue (again) and found that after I replaced the rotors and the front end shimmy was cured I have not had the power steering failure again. There is some thought that the shimmy causes the power steering to overwork and therefore rapidly overheat.

Can't guarantee this is the ONLY issue, but thought I would throw it out as an intermediate, anecdotal experience. Those rotors need to be replaced anyway! :thumbsdow

Mine would fail before I left the parking lot. Not time nor speed for any shimmy.

normbal 05-24-2010 09:17 AM

My son's training for his driving test - doing LOTS of parallel parking out in front of the house - the PS has gone off twice. I did the reset thing (pulled fuse and circuit breaker described elsewhere here) once, called the dealer and had it looked at Friday (5-21-2010).

OVERHEATING DOES THIS>

I got an email from the dealer with the following bulletins referenced:
Document ID: 2322970

#07-02-32-007B: Diagnostic Tips for Power Steering Inoperative/Steering Wheel Hard to Turn, Power Steering Message Displayed on DIC, DTCs C0176, C0475, C0476, C0550, U2105, U2107 Set - (Aug 6, 2009)

Power Steering Warning Message on DIC with DTCs C0176 and C0476
This condition is often the result of excessive lock-to-lock turns of the steering wheel, causing the thermal protection in the power steering control module (PSCM) to take the steering motor temporarily off line. This is a normal operating characteristic of the system.

No repairs necessary. Drove around over the weekend, no problems. Hope this helps someone out. But the $125 motor replacement seems easy enough if necessary. Stuff breaks.

mightymouse 05-24-2010 01:55 PM

just had mine replaced under warranty. my service esc message code was in place. my dealer replaced the power steering motor and a sensor. problem fixed. car has 27k. hhr ss.

Don06 05-31-2010 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by normbal (Post 467603)
My son's training for his driving test - doing LOTS of parallel parking out in front of the house - the PS has gone off twice. I did the reset thing (pulled fuse and circuit breaker described elsewhere here) once, called the dealer and had it looked at Friday (5-21-2010).

OVERHEATING DOES THIS>

I got an email from the dealer with the following bulletins referenced:
Document ID: 2322970

#07-02-32-007B: Diagnostic Tips for Power Steering Inoperative/Steering Wheel Hard to Turn, Power Steering Message Displayed on DIC, DTCs C0176, C0475, C0476, C0550, U2105, U2107 Set - (Aug 6, 2009)

Power Steering Warning Message on DIC with DTCs C0176 and C0476
This condition is often the result of excessive lock-to-lock turns of the steering wheel, causing the thermal protection in the power steering control module (PSCM) to take the steering motor temporarily off line. This is a normal operating characteristic of the system.

No repairs necessary. Drove around over the weekend, no problems. Hope this helps someone out. But the $125 motor replacement seems easy enough if necessary. Stuff breaks.

I would expect anything having to do with steering to last at least 100K. If they build an electrically actuated unit, they should put limit switches on each end so it doesn't stall against the stops. Poor design. Don't they buy this from Toyota?

mightymouse 06-02-2010 03:13 PM

crap!!! mine went out yesterday,after they so called replaced it. well the first time,my power steering was fine,now it's gone. mine never came back. once i got to work,the car sat for 4 hours. so cooling down didn't work for me. car went back to the dealer yesterday.

jimg76 06-08-2010 09:26 PM

What years are affected by this steering issue?

tobaccoman 06-09-2010 11:06 AM

I have a feeling most of us will be affected at some point....

poeg 06-09-2010 12:10 PM

Thought I might as well add to things here. We had our electric steering motor replaced 18 months ago while chasing down another "clunk" which ended up being a stabilizer bar. Like a lot of others with a 2006, we've had ours back to the shop 6 times since purchasing it new in 2006. The wife drives it mostly so its been babied 60% highway for 50K kilometres and is still screwing up as we've another "clunk" to deal with. On the other hand our youngest daughter has put her Cavalier through hell which included nearly rolling in a snow filled ditch and hanging it up on a huge ridge of ice the RM grater left right in front of her when it lifted its blade.

We both luv our HHR but the thing is made of glass. Were we to do it all over again, that $28K would have been better spent elsewhere.

ChevyMgr 06-09-2010 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by poeg (Post 471088)
Were we to do it all over again, that $28K would have been better spent elsewhere.

I hope that is Canadian money. :eek:

FLORIDA 06-14-2010 05:52 AM

Replacement EPS motor is on eBay.

poeg 06-14-2010 01:04 PM

Yes it was!

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr (Post 471104)
I hope that is Canadian money. :eek:

We were among the first to get one in Saskatchewan. When it comes to cars, few get screwed as do Canadians. Where a GM wiper stalk costs Americans $30 that same one hits us at twice that price or in some cases even more. everything else to us is on the order of 33% more at the very least with none of the perks like "free shipping" on orders over $ seen in America.

JEHAB1 12-11-2011 05:04 PM

Steering

my 07 just started doing the same thing every now and then i hear the chime and see the power steering showing on the display guess i will hit ebay and try to source one

s003900 12-13-2011 07:05 AM

I was just at the dealer last night with my 06 HHR 115,000 miles. Told him my power steering keeps going in and out and fuses have been broken. I asked what the costs for the electric motor would be. He was 99.99% sure that it's more likely the power steering control module is at fault and the whole steering column needs replaced(which would include the power steering control module and motor $500). Or the other 1% possibly of it being a faulty wire or connection. He said just replacing the motor would not resolve it.

Thoughts? I'm going to take a look at the wire in the column and make sure the connections are good. Is the power steering control module right next to the motor?

allenvw 04-21-2012 12:14 AM

I ordered the EPS motor for my 2007 HHR

I ordered it from ebay for 110.00 with shipping. I should get it on the 24/25 of Apr. 2012
It looks like it would be easy to replace., I hope. my car has 93,000 on it. This is the first time I had problems with it. I like it very much. I bought in 2007 used with 23,000 on it for 12,500

Here is the link where I ordered the part:smile:.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-CH...r#ht_666wt_932

They say it fits 2006 to 2011 HHR. It's 86.99 plus 22.99 shipping.:smile::twothumbs:

The motor is located on the left lower side of the steering collum. It has 2 bolts and a plug. I will disconect the battery before doing the work.

There are only 2 left at the time of this post.

sleeper 04-21-2012 12:29 AM

allenvw Welcome-

Look in the "How To" section here, there is at least one good write up w/pics on doing this..

07azhhr 04-21-2012 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by allenvw (Post 637660)
I ordered it from ebay for 110.00 with shipping. I should get it on the 24/25 of Apr. 2012
It looks like it would be easy to replace., I hope. my car has 93,000 on it. This is the first time I had problems with it. I like it very much. I bought in 2007 used with 23,000 on it for 12,500

Here is the link where I ordered the part:smile:.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-CH...r#ht_666wt_932

They say it fits 2006 to 2011 HHR. It's 86.99 plus 22.99 shipping.:smile::twothumbs:

The motor is located on the left lower side of the steering collum. It has 2 bolts and a plug. I will disconect the battery before doing the work.

There are only 2 left at the time of this post.

Dealerships only charge $104 + tax and stock them. In other words you could have got it the same day for the same price.

FWIW you do not need to disconnect the battery. The motor has a harness connector for the power and ground wires and can easily be disconnected without worry of touching anything. If the motor that you get is the one with the oil cone on the output shaft be sure not to damage it when installing it.

07azhhr 04-21-2012 04:17 AM

The pics in his listing show the oil slinger cone thingy so if yours does have it be very carefull. The quote below was comprised directly from BOTH TSB's that are out for these motor issues. The part I put in blue is the part numbers that will have this oil slinger cone. All the ones listed will work but GM highlights these two and mentions to be careful.

Just for another part number source here are the replacement motor part numbers listed in the HHR specific recall :

19257876 and 19257875

The recall says either or of the above for the new part number. Also this one is for the Canadian ION's (03 to 07) as well.

For the Cobalts, G5's, Pursuit (no mention of Malibus, thought I saw them mentioned somewhere before) they list 4 part number options for the new replacement part(s) :

20995579 and 19257136 both said to have the cone shaped oil slinger on them and to not damage this partthe other two numbers are the same as the two listed for the Canadian recalls listed above.

allenvw 04-23-2012 02:09 AM

TY Sleeper, I will check it out.

allenvw 04-23-2012 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by 07azhhr (Post 637686)
The pics in his listing show the oil slinger cone thingy so if yours does have it be very carefull. The quote below was comprised directly from BOTH TSB's that are out for these motor issues. The part I put in blue is the part numbers that will have this oil slinger cone. All the ones listed will work but GM highlights these two and mentions to be careful.

TY also, 07azhhr.

allenvw 04-24-2012 12:37 PM

LOL, What do I do with the oil slinger cone thingy if I get one and I'm ready to install the new motor?
Put it inside the gear?

TIA
ALLENVW:

07azhhr 04-25-2012 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by allenvw (Post 638583)
LOL, What do I do with the oil slinger cone thingy if I get one and I'm ready to install the new motor?
Put it inside the gear?

TIA
ALLENVW:

Leave it on the new one if it has it. Do not damage it. Install the new one with it.

If the new one does not have it then do not worry about it.

minnesotapaul 05-09-2012 08:40 PM

Just starting the power steering mess i have a 2006 hhr does anyone think i should try to just replace the motor like the guy on here did?? Just curious

minnesotapaul 05-09-2012 08:43 PM

mine only lasts about a minute then goes out i think im going to replace my motor also.. Is it a GM only part or are they available at the parts places?? Thanks

843de 05-09-2012 10:58 PM

Steering assist motor is GM PN#20763801 List price is $176.75 for your model year HHR minnesotapaul.

No 3rd party aftermarket manufacturers, but here are some vendors with the part at a much lower price than GM list. Just click the links.....

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm...-20763801.html

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm...-20763801.html

If you're blowing the steering fuse after two minutes you probably have a bad motor, but check under the dash for any frayed or abraded wiring before you order up the parts.

07azhhr 05-10-2012 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by minnesotapaul (Post 642513)
mine only lasts about a minute then goes out i think im going to replace my motor also.. Is it a GM only part or are they available at the parts places?? Thanks

The part number that 843 listed is not listed on the two recall campaign sheets that I have and might be the older part that was bad, not sure though but I am sure that it is not listed on the TSB's/campaigns.

The replacement parts are actually only just a tad over $100 at most dealerships. Call your dealers first before trying to find the best deal online. Also there are 4 different part numbers BUT all of them work for all model years. Just get which ever one of the 4 that your local dealer has in stock. My dealer had over 10 in stock of the one I got.

Just for another part number source here are the replacement motor part numbers listed in the HHR specific recall :

19257876 and 19257875

The recall says either or of the above for the new part number. Also this one is for the Canadian ION's (03 to 07) as well.

For the Cobalts, G5's, Pursuit (no mention of Malibus, thought I saw them mentioned somewhere before) they list 4 part number options for the new replacement part(s) :

20995579 and 19257136 both said to have the cone shaped oil slinger on them and to not damage this partthe other two numbers are the same as the two listed for the Canadian recalls listed above.