Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Electric Power Steering EZ fix no recall (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/electric-power-steering-ez-fix-no-recall-29172/)

07azhhr 05-10-2012 02:59 AM

I just clicked on one of Mikes (843de) links and it says replacement part number is 19257875 so looks like you would get the correct one but it will be one of the 4 listed in my quote. Also again the price at the dealers has been found to be only $104-$120 out the door.

843de 05-10-2012 06:41 AM

Good catch 07, the part number did change, and my tired brain didn't spot it. Just hate it when my brain does a dumb, stupid brain anyway.:red:

minnesotapaul 05-10-2012 08:32 PM

Thanks for all the help i bought a new one at the local dealer it was 83.00 plus some tax. I had the job done in 25 minutes what a relief to have it over and was a piece of cake to do it.:twothumbs:

843de 05-10-2012 10:15 PM

Cool beans!:thumb:

Glad to hear you got things taken care of minnesotapaul.

msmaggie 08-03-2012 09:49 AM

My 06 HHR also lost its power steering. My husband had a serious accident because of this to the tune of $8000 worth of damage! Dealer keeps telling me no recall. Why not, Chevy? It's the same mechanism as the Cobalt. My accident has been reported to the Safety Board - hopefully, they'll respond. What does it take to get a safety issued heard? Very disappointed in the Chevy hierachy!

Snoopy 08-03-2012 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by msmaggie (Post 661207)
My 06 HHR also lost its power steering. My husband had a serious accident because of this to the tune of $8000 worth of damage! Dealer keeps telling me no recall. Why not, Chevy? It's the same mechanism as the Cobalt. My accident has been reported to the Safety Board - hopefully, they'll respond. What does it take to get a safety issued heard? Very disappointed in the Chevy hierachy!

Have only 2 words for you.....LAW YER.

sleeper 08-04-2012 01:27 AM

max69power 08-17-2012 02:30 AM

recall

please if you have or have had this issue the only way to force a recall is to file a complaint with the national highway safety traffic association.
i am posting the link it only takes 5 min to do it on line or you can call.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Phone
File a Complaint for Child Seats, Tires, Equipment, Vehicles
Monday-Friday (8 am to 8 pm ET)
(888) 327-4236 TTY: (800) 424-9153

Please take the time to save someones life.

The Kirby guy 08-22-2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by msmaggie (Post 661207)

haven't you ever seen fight club. lol

Amy23Army 09-08-2012 04:53 PM

Wore the wrong shirt today.....

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr (Post 458611)
05's are recalled now so take it in to get the new motor. Just had an 06 HHR pull in 5 minutes ago with the power steering going off every 5 minutes. Hmmm no recall though.

Glad I signed up for this forum a while back. Today my EPS just started cutting out at random. :cussingmad: Tried to see if it was at a certain speed, turn radius, or anything like that and it's not :pullinghair: --completely random. And I drive an 09:thumbsdow:

:clueless:recall:clueless:

carmando 09-12-2012 05:32 PM

any news yet of a recall on the power steering motor?

David S 09-17-2012 09:28 AM

I seen a mesage that had pictures of how to take out the power steering motor now I can't find it can someone help?

wmsburghhr 09-18-2012 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by David S (Post 669632)
I seen a mesage that had pictures of how to take out the power steering motor now I can't find it can someone help?

it is in the 'how to guide' section https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/power-steering-motor-replacement-w-pics-31289/

FallGuy2005 12-24-2013 06:03 PM

Power Steering, Intermittent

Thank you for answering my trouble shooting conundrum. My power steering periodically goes out; I called the local Dealer to price both the motor and the column. He had sold a few motors but never a column thus statistically it is the motor that is the problem. I Bought the motor today, will replace tomorrow.
:thumb:

Originally Posted by FLORIDA (Post 458577)
Like many others soon after the Electric Power Steering recall on other GM like cars, Cobalt, but not HHR, I then experienced the Electric Power Steering problem. It would reset after it cooled down, but it tripped every day. I was able to fix it myself by replacing the Electric Power Steering motor under the dash on the column. It is mounted with 2 bolts. I was told the dealer would not issue a recall and it would cost about $400. I replaced it myself with the new replacement for only $125.

motoretro 03-06-2014 08:24 PM

Are all years and models of HHR's affected? Were the replacement motors installed as a running change on the last couple years of HHR's? Are these replacement PS motors dated either on the box or part itself?
Thanks,
Motoretro

donbrew 03-06-2014 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by motoretro (Post 739066)
Are all years and models of HHR's affected? Were the replacement motors installed as a running change on the last couple years of HHR's? Are these replacement PS motors dated either on the box or part itself?
Thanks,
Motoretro

affected by what? They break.

happydaze 05-18-2014 12:37 PM

I have a 2006 HHR LT that the power steering light keeps coming on and I lose my power steering. If I shut the car off and restart it, its works fine for awhile. I spoke with the dealer he said no recall issued for the year. What are your recommendations. I don't have $700 the dealer quoted.

Ken

donbrew 05-18-2014 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by happydaze (Post 747905)
I have a 2006 HHR LT that the power steering light keeps coming on and I lose my power steering. If I shut the car off and restart it, its works fine for awhile. I spoke with the dealer he said no recall issued for the year. What are your recommendations. I don't have $700 the dealer quoted.

Ken

GM Recalls Older Model Vehicles to Fix Power Steering

Read this link, then take it to your dealer. NOT a recall, a Lifetime Warranty. Seems like a lot of dealers are playing a game of answering your question and not one word more.

But, the part only costs about $115 and takes 30 minutes to do.

I SEARCHed "power steering" and got this thread first suggestion. https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...CU1hvnVhUsfPGA

Gsus 05-19-2014 09:34 AM

Hi Guys,
I fixed it by replacing a front bad tire, it has a very small knob under the tire, so it was causing vibration that the computer detected, It was till I changed the front tires that it was solved by itself,
after like 6 months I had the same problem so I checked for any vibration again and it was the front brake pads needed a replacement and was causing small vibrations so I changed the brake pads and it solved the problem again, I havent had the problem since 2 years ago. :thumb::bow::twothumbs:

motoretro 01-25-2017 11:04 PM

Is GM still doing the recall on the PS motor....

Motoretro

whopper 01-25-2017 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by motoretro (Post 817947)
Is GM still doing the recall on the PS motor....

Motoretro

Yes - an extended warranty. Read the info in the previous posts.

motoretro 01-25-2017 11:29 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't sure, the thread is a bit old. I stumbled across a really clean, low mileage HHR 1/2 panel and the Carfax doesn't seem to indicate the PS motor was replaced.:thumb:
Motoretro

whopper 01-26-2017 01:15 AM

Any GM dealer can confirm for you if you supply the VIN.

oooo a panel!!! That would be fun. Let us know how it goes for you.

donbrew 01-26-2017 08:07 AM

If it isn't broken they will not fix it!

motoretro 01-26-2017 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by whopper (Post 817953)
Any GM dealer can confirm for you if you supply the VIN.

oooo a panel!!! That would be fun. Let us know how it goes for you.

Thanks, I'm negotiating now on the vehicle.
Motoretro