Started a few weeks ago, had a passenger in the front seat, the center console passenger airbag light went from ON to OFF and *Service Airbag* message came on the DIC. This was odd I thought as I was just explaining to the passenger how much I hated airbags and the thought of something exploding in my face as I'm being thrusted towards it. The message went off when I turned off the vehicle and restarted it. I then called the service manager where I bought the vehicle and said to bring it in to check it out.
First time I took it in, they checked for the code in the OBD and found that it did indeed give a fault signal, cleared it and repaired it in about 2-3 hours (something about the seat sensor that tells the computer that someone is sitting in the seat). Later that night, I was driving around with another passenger and the same thing happened, so I called the dealership and they told me to bring it in again. Again 2-3 hours and off I went.
A few days later, AGAIN it happened and this time when I called, the service manager explained that it might be something more elaborate, so when I took it in they set me up with a loaner vehicle, 2 days later picked up and they said that they replaced a different piece that deals with the passenger airbag system.
This morning while I was warming up my ride, with nobody sitting in the passenger seat, the *Service Airbag* was displayed again, the center console passenger airbag ON/OFF light flickered, and a few moments later, the Service Airbag display went away. Now the other previous times that it displayed, it would go away if I pressed the INFO button on the steering wheel and would not be displayed if the vehicle was shut off and turned back on.
This is starting to consern me for several reasons:
1) There is a false sence of security for the passenger.
2) There is a fault in the system that controls the airbags, and in my experiences, faults, shorts or anything "wrong" can cause bad things to happen. Is an airbag going to go haywire and blow up in my face while im driving??!!
3) Since the vehicle has all this ONSTAR safety crap, how come I have NOT been notified via ONSTAR, or an email alert or SOMETHING? What the hells the point of all this safety stuff being tied into ONSTAR if nobody at the other end of the system is detecting faulty airbag function?
4) How much more of my vehicle will eventually be replaced before this issue is fixed? The wire harnesses are going to look like someone did a hack and slash job, bolt heads are going to be scuffed so the resaleability of the vehicle is going to drop as soon as someone sees that stuff has been taken apart, harnesses cut into blah blah blah.
5) Has anyone else had this happen to their vehicle? I have an 09 LS half panel that I purchased back in 10/08.
6) Last but not least, http://www.nsc.org/partners/facts1.aspx
where it says: "The Risks of Air Bags" I have a real problem with this. It is ***DOCUMENTED*** that these things may, can, and HAVE caused harm/death. Anything in the vehicle between YOU and that @#$% airbag is a potential weapon of destruction for your well being!! MYTHBUSTERS did a show on this, and PROVED that if your hand is in the wrong place when one goes off, you will receive broken bones due to the force released upon impact. I wear glasses... does that mean that this air bag MIGHT save my life, but gouge out my eyes in the process? Next thing we know, its going to be manditory **in the name of safety** that anyone wearing glasses must get corrective eye surgery so that their vehicles air bag wont blow up in our face and gouge out our eyes.