Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

*Service Airbag* light keeps coming on

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:45 PM

GRRRRRRRRRR the light came on again... commanding GM for a buy-back of this HHR ~_~
Old 06-07-2009, 08:12 PM

well, after many weeks of phone calls, contacting the NHTSA (national highway traffic safety administration), the BBB AutoLine, a few attourneys and filling out piles of paperwork and doing some legal warranty research, I have it set into motion for GM to buy back my HHR because of the air bag nonconformity on the basis of safety. I found out that when the "Service Air Bag" light is on, NONE of the air bags will deploy. Kind of like when the ABS brake light comes on, ABS doesnt work, except you still have brakes, well in this instance, I won't "kind of" have air bags at all. So the way I see it is that this is a major defect that doesnt seem to be able to be resolved. To top it all off, "ONStar" has not performed as advertized in that not once has it notified me of a critical problem with my vehicle, either in the vehicle, or by email notification.

GM's representatives have pushed and pushed me to exchange the vehicle (trade it in) on another GM vehicle less the depreciation. I looked far and wide, high and low to find the actual vehicles :worth: but nobody NADA, KELLY or my insurance company can find what the actual vehicle is worth. Closest i got was sizing up an 07 and an 08 with like options, same mileage and tried to estimate the worth through a ratio based formula which led me to come up with roughly 14-16K dollars. I still owe 19K since October of 08 purchase price of 21580.

I highly doubt that a "trade in" is hardly fair in this circumstance as I would have to make another loan to compensate the depreciation, and wind up making a higher car payment for the (*as stated in magnuson moss*) equal or like quality vehicle that ive already paid almost 3K into. I think they want me to trade it in so they can turn around and sell it to some other poor joe so they dont have to damn the vehicle by stamping a "LEMON" on the title. I also don't feel like it is good business to sell someone another persons problem. Bad business!

I've been reviewing my service records and it seems like this happened a few weeks after I had the battery warranty replaced because it wouldn't keep a charge. Two weeks later nothing but problems ever since.

FYI Service records in short:

10-07-09 @ 4 miles, purchased new 09 HHR LS AA5 option
10-20-08 @ 500 miles, I changed oil/filter
11-25-08 @ 2900 miles, Dealer changed oil/filter, vehicle inspection
01-16-09 @ 4700 miles, battery replaced, part# 89022163
01-30-09 @ 5200 miles, "Service Air Bag" inspection, I had Dealer rotate tires, had dealership inspect clunking noise when driving up driveway curbs- possibly ice, noise did not return since
02-07-09 @ 5500 miles, I changed oil/filter, switched to synthetic oil
02-12-09 @ 5600 miles, "service air bag" repaired inflatable restraint suppression module, part# 25994653
02-27-09 @ 6400 miles, "service air bag" passenger seat cusion cover replacement, part# 25972191
03-04-09 @ 6500 miles, "service air bag", I determined to be effects of a 12V accessory causing issue, informed dealership, was told not to use 12V accessories in 12V accessory outlet in dashboard-- quit using OEM equiped accessory outlet
04-27-09 @ 8300 miles "service air bag" while someone sitting in seat, dealer found improperly terminated wire in harness, N6624 replace/repair connector, C2860 Console assembly repair/replace, C2160 Instrument compartment box repair/replace
05-19-09 @ 9372 miles "service air bag" NPF vehicle operating to factory specifications, did find code for passenger presence system, received the vehicle with 9402 miles, drove it home and parked it with 9448 miles which it has sat ever since.

NOW SERIOUSLY... at this point, would any of you feel confident and secure in the safety of this vehicle? Would you drive your family around knowing that there are persistent problems with the air bag systems? Would ANY of you buy this vehicle if you were handed these service records right before you signed the papers? HELL NO... and since pretty much all of the economy class vehicles by GM are built on basicly the same platform (parts/chassis/ etc) I cannot honestly say that I am 100% confident in the safety of these vehicles. Which tends to sway me to OPT for a complete buy-back.

I didn't buy a brand new vehicle for the first time just to keep taking it back in for service when I have bought dozens of used vehicles that had 'wear and tear' repairs like ball joints, cv axles, brakes and fluid changes. In all my driving history, I have never taken a vehicle in for "repairs" as much as I have with this "BRAND NEW" HHR
Old 06-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Banned

I think you're a whiner and you'll be lucky to recoup any money you've spent when they reject your buyback.

The little light was probably never causing any interference. Loose wire connector up in the dashboard caused the original problem, and I'd be willing to bet that the new passenger cushion weight sensor is defective or there's another intermittent connection. Those sensors malfunction a lot more than you probably realize on many different cars. The reason why those weight sensors are necessary is because too many kids (50 or so) were killed when their clueless parents put their car seats up front. So ALL of the auto manufacturers were sued and they had to come up with a litigation-proof system to "safe" the passenger airbag when some numbnuts puts a kid or small person up there.

I would have absolutely no problem driving your car with ANY member of my family with me. Even with the passenger airbag disarmed, it's still one of the safest cars on the road.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:57 PM

My service airbags displayed when I would go over a hump in the road that is a small bridge over a creek. everytime I went over that my service airbags displayed I did this about 4 times. Now I loose my power steering and service airbags never displayed again I just loose my power steering now. My friend says its a relay I think its a electrical problem.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:31 AM

Hey crafty i'm a little more mature to say what i think about your post.
*edit*
You know what, I'm not even going to justify your post with a complete response. Go forum flame hawk somewhere else.

Jakester... get it fixed ASAP, that one critical time that you need your power steering and its not there could mean a HUGE world of difference in an outcome. Plus it is one of the things that the magnuson moss act/lemon laws states is a CRITICAL issue that has almost no tolerance for failure at all, the same with safety features failing.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:27 PM

well for anyones info--- I WON..!!!!!!!!!!

GM repurchased the vehicle outright! They came at me with some rediculous offers at first, like oil changes and tire rotations, then they came at me with trying to pay the next 2 car payments, then after a while all was silent, then they came at me with a straight trade in with a like or similar vehicle in terms of MSRP regaurdless of how much i currently owed, i greatly pondered this offer and decided to opt to "think" about it over the weekend, come monday (2 days before arbitration with the BBB) they called and i kindly informed them that i was going to keep with my original plan of action which was to opt for GM to repurchase the vehicle through arbitration. the very next day they called me and said that they would repurchase the vehicle...10 days later i delivered it to the dealer that i bought it from and it is no longer. GM informed me that they will be dismantleing the vehicle for parts. Ill be checking in on this through tracking the vin #.

but in the end a good planted disposition and argument with what you beleive and a good strong backbone won the battle :)
Old 08-23-2009, 08:52 PM

Well good for you! Shame though that the car has to be destroyed....
Old 08-23-2009, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by MindDrive
Jakester... get it fixed ASAP, that one critical time that you need your power steering and its not there could mean a HUGE world of difference in an outcome.
I agree with getting the power steering fixed 1000 Percent.

Could somebody besides MindDrive confirm that when the Passenger Air bag is non-operative all the airbags are non-operative? If this is so, then this is just bad engineering.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:17 PM

your local dealership's head mechanic should be able to verify this for you or GM's 800 number, even onstar told me that the "service air bag" light means that the entire airbag system is disabled to protect against accidental discharge
Old 08-24-2009, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Well good for you! Shame though that the car has to be destroyed....
well not destroyed in the literal sence, it will be dismantled and the parts will find their way to good homes on other HHR's that need repairs :) The dealership that i took it back to, the apraising mechanic that looked at it couldnt beleive there was almost 11k miles on it (yes i took real good care of it) and thought i had only taken it for a test drive till he seen the odometer himself

i do miss driving it around and maybe when the dust settles i might buy another one as it was a great service vehicle as passenger vehicle.

word of advice for smokers... dont leave one of those cup holder ash cans in the cubby hole for 2 months straight without opening the windows!! when i first opened the door i almost gagged from the stale cigarette smell!! even after cleaning the interior, you could still smell that stale smoke which completely destroyed that "new car smell"

Quick Reply: *Service Airbag* light keeps coming on