Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2006: Steering Column Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:25 PM

I just took mine in for thr same problem. They ordered a new column and should install it next week. I hope they do a good job of getting everything back in the correct place and working.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:36 PM

Got mine back and still have the same problem. Have had it back twice and they cant fix or won't spend the time to fix it. made a complante with GM customer service and also the BBB. The dealership told me to try another dealership. They had other on there lot that also made the same noise, so they said it normal, even though it didn't do it when new. They have replaced part of the shaft from the TSP, but not the hole thing. I'm going to try another dealership with help from GM customer service if they will. Hope it goes away!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2007, 03:53 PM

Been There Done That

Originally Posted by coolsurf
I just took mine in for thr same problem. They ordered a new column and should install it next week. I hope they do a good job of getting everything back in the correct place and working.
The dealer has done the Intermitent Shaft twice and just put in the 2nd column last week seems it will never go away. Plus I have alignment issues.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:43 PM

Hhrhouston, Sorry To Heat That. I Contacted The Gm Customer Service Rep That Handling My Complant And Gave Them The Tsp Number And Fax A Copy Of The Alldata Nfo To Them. He Should Get Back To Me On Friday. It Doesn't Say Much About Gm Whan The Customer Has To Do The Resurch On The Tsb. Will Let You Know How It Turns Out.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by coolsurf
Hhrhouston, Sorry To Heat That. I Contacted The Gm Customer Service Rep That Handling My Complant And Gave Them The Tsp Number And Fax A Copy Of The Alldata Nfo To Them. He Should Get Back To Me On Friday. It Doesn't Say Much About Gm Whan The Customer Has To Do The Resurch On The Tsb. Will Let You Know How It Turns Out.
I agree that it doesn't say much....but you do understand you are NOT talking to GM. You are talking to a representative who is sub-contracted (out side company) by GM for that position. They know little about vehicles and are generally PR people....unfortunately.

Actually the "sick" thing about this, is the need to supply your dealer with the info. They should, and do, have it via their dealer network system. To bad the're to lazy to use it.

Oh, as a favor...could you remove the caps on every word. That makes it very difficult to read.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Banned

I just wanted to let you know that I made a complaint with GM about the poor service at my dealer and GM customer service rep. kept in contact with me but in the long run it did no good. I finally went to a Lemon Law attorney and was informed that the steering column problem is a very common problem nation wide with the HHR. To sum it up, I received a settlement check from GM on my car and now it is my problem but GM has no idea how to fix this problem. I had my car at 2 different dealerships and still could not get the problem fixed. Good luck with yours.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:11 PM

I have a 2006 that had the same problem and the dealer had to change the steering column. Its like a new HHR after that but it seems like it might be doing it again? Never buy a 1st yr vehicle!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:19 PM

I'm taking mine in this week to another dealership and hope that they will take the time to look at it. The GM customer service rep. is going to contact the dealership and let them know the problems I'm having ( don't know if that good or bad). I've talked to the service writer and told him the problem and he also agrees that the car should not rattle or clunk, and it might be in the rack or steering column. What a big pain!!!!!!! What we have to go through to keep the car in good running condiction. So much for factory warrenty!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:53 PM

After a lot of visits to the dealership it steering column clunk/rattle is gone. They replaced both the intermediate shaft and the steerig column. They're still fine tuning the turn signal cancelling problem, but just need a new turn signal assy. GM offered me an extra 48 month and 78k extended warranty and pay will pay one month of my car loan. Now my warranty will be good for 102k and 4 more years. The warranty has $0 deductable.
I hope that I now won't any more problems!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:40 AM

Steering Wheel rattle

Just got my 2006 HHR back from dealership today. Had a rattle sound by column and the intermediate shaft was replaced under warranty. Made absolutely no difference. Have to go back. Also had my rotors turned again making the second time at 20,000 miles. Has anyone got the steering issue fixed and is it worth having the column replaced with all the issues a lot of you seem to have afterwards.

Quick Reply: 2006: Steering Column Rattle