Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Front door speakers & turn signal chime out

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:40 AM

Unhappy Front door speakers & turn signal chime out

Does anyone know where I should start? My front door speakers and my turn signal chime is out. It is a 2006, way out of warranty, and I am not sure where to start investigating. I have checked the fade; I set it to front and nothing.
Thanks all in advance!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:05 AM

If I had to guess, I'd say your head unit went out.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:02 PM

I really hope not . Why would Chevy incorporate so many things into the front speakers? (the seat belt chime, OnStar and the turn signal chime)
The strange thing is that the radio turns on and I hear static/white noise and then the front spekers go out, the rear speakers and the sub work fine. It seems as if there is a short someplace because I have never had a problem with the stereo. This was one of the best sounding stock systems I have ever had in a car.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:48 PM

your front channel is defective.....
Old 02-10-2010, 07:01 PM

So does that mean a new head unit?
Would you happen to know if the head unit is the same for all years? I see them on Ebay and do not know if that is the best place to find one at a fair price.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:28 PM

Check your fuses. I had a one time issue with my '06 speaker, chimes etc and it was due to a loose fuse. Pulled it out pushed back in and all worked. Check the owners manual for various fuses.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:32 PM

Different head units for different systems....they interchange all years, to a point...since you have the high end ( thats funny) stock unit I'd go after a newer year model that has the "extra's" you might want...6 disc changer,,,USB port...Bluetooth etc etc...but you have to stay with the premim Pioneer head unit because of Onstar and stuff....Ebay, Craigslist all ok....will have to visit dealer afterwards to have unit "married" to your car, they are coded and will not work without a reflash......otherwise might be a good time to consider aftermarket................
And what LARS said.....
Old 02-10-2010, 07:38 PM

yea could be a fuse.......also could be in ur harness.....my cobalt had a harness replaced cause of this issue.....the pins fell out
Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 PM

Thanks everyone. I tried the Onstar fuse #56, with no luck. I guess it will have to wait until the weekend to take the unit out. The radio works so does the Onstar (inactive) but it shows the phone on the mirror. Anyone have a guess on what other fuses to try? The radio does work so I do not believe it could be the radio fuse. I hope it is not the pins in the harness, which seems like it would be harder to replace than the head unit! Is it possible that there is an inline fuse somewhere? There have been no modifications to the stereo system. The only thing is that I leave my Ipod connected most of the time and it is plugged into the aux power outlet. Hope it did not surge somehow.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:09 PM

Greetings Orange1, I have had similar issues with my HHR. Thus far the radio module has been replaced Three times, the Body Control Module has been replaced, Computer system has been upgraded, and now both front speaker have been replaced. Normally, when I lost the turn signal chime I also lost the radio and all the speakers. The BCM replacement seemed to take care of that. However, the last issue I had was loosing both front speakers. But I still had the turn signal chime, radio, and rear speakers. I knew I was dealing a new issue because the turn signal chime comes through the tweeter above the dash on the drivers side. Went to my service dealer and was told both front speakers were bad (both at once??? - how impossible and unlikely is that). If you have not taken it to your dealer – that would be first and have them look at the BCM and computer program. Then and most important - contact GM Customer Assistance at 1-800-222-1020 and let them know what is going on with your car. Who knows they may fix the issue as a goodwill gesture. Good luck

Quick Reply: Front door speakers & turn signal chime out