Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?
-
Go Back   Chevy HHR Network > General Discussion > Problems/Service/Repairs > front-end clunk/rattle
-

Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #1

Member #: 30038
Check out my gallery 
Exclamation front-end clunk/rattle

I just e-mailed the serv. dept. from the dealer where I purchased my HHR. I told them everything that all of you recommended for resolving this issue. They had replaced the front wheel bearing, & the lower steering shaft. Now I told them to let me know if they plan to do something else because it Has to be something more than the 'dash rattle'. I have had different people riding with me, & they said it sounded like it was Under the car more than inside the dash. I explained to them I was chatting on here & Many have had the same problems. I suggested that they may want to look at the sway bar bushings & the sway bar end links. (which seemed to be the majority of feed-back solutions.) I told them it should still be covered because the serv. dept. didn't quite fix the problem of the clunk/rattle they say is the dash, because it should still be part of the original work order to fix the issue. (I also had a grinding-type thump sound which they said was the wheel bearing that was replaced, resolving That sound.) They claimed to have tightened-up all the mechanics underneath which Should have Stopped any 'ratteling' type sound left over. We will see what They have to say when/if they e-mail me back a responce. I want to also Thank All of you who offered their suggestions & experiences. That was Gratefully Appreciated! I'm Glad to have you all here when I need to ask a question.
thegodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #2

Check out my gallery 
Angry

Just recieved a response to the e-mail I sent to the dealer where I got my HHR. The General Manager told me that they fixed 'SOME' of the issues, & that the "intermittant noise" "appeared" to be coming from the dash. Didn't even say, "Well, bring it in & we will check it out." Even though by what some of you posted would be an easy 'look' or even a 'fix' to what most of you had said was the problem when you had the same 'clunk/rattle' sound. I sent him a reply giving him MY Opinion of what I think of what he thinks. Well, I guess I will have to check those things out myself, but when I do, IF IT IS WHAT I TOLD THEM, I DARN SURE WILL TAKE THE OLD PARTS IN TO SHOW THEM JUST WHO WAS RIGHT! All you guys that said the same thing,& was right, 'Must Be Wrong', According to this dealership. Maybe I Am wrong, It May be something else that is driving me looney, but it all sounds like what you have experienced Is the Very Same I am experiencing. At least you said that those were rather easy & inexpensive to fix.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:43 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Member #: 2558
Check out my gallery 
maybe try another dealer ..

..........2008 HHR Panel 2LT "Southern Edition"..........
sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:15 AM   #4

Check out my gallery 
But This is the one I bought the car at, I figure they Owe me the 'service' on the vehicle They sold me. If they are to fix it for nothing, I won't give up on trying to have the issue resolved until they Really P!$$ me off.
That will be plan "B" though, That way I Will have it taken care of.
P.S. I Bought my HHR at a Ford Dealer, Think That makes a difference? (Probably!)
Old 03-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #5

Member #: 14738
Check out my gallery 
Not to upset anyone that may work for/at a Chevy dealer, but from my experiences, you have a 50/50 shot of having a better experience at a Chevy dealer. That said, it may be worth your while to talk to the GM and the Services Manager together about this. And mention that since they're a Ford shop, maybe they should work with a local Chevy dealer to rectify this.
Mods: GMPP Intake, EBC Slotted and Dimpled rotors, EBC greenstuff pads, premium floor mats w/HHR logo, rubber mats w/ HHR logo, IPCW LED tail lights, LED license plate lights, HHR door sills, stubby antenna
briand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #6

Check out my gallery 
Smile

That is a Good Idea. But I called the Local Chevy Dealer & asked them what the problem is that causes the noise/s in the HHR's, The Service Manager told me he knows Nothing about such a thing & could Not find Any comments or complaints Ever being reported. I was on the phone for about 5 minutes while he 'looked' up information while he denied Any Knowledge of such a concern. I Told him to just forget it, He Obviously just pushes the pencil & collects the payments, & Does No Work on vehicles Himself, because I Know There Are Reports Made of This type of concern. He wasn't too happy, but then again, Neither was I! I said I thought They Should at Least Know about the Brand vehicles they sell! So, even If I had gotten my HHR at That Chevy Dealership, I would Still be in the Same predicament as I am now. (Please Don't Get Me Wrong, I Am Not Saying All Dealerships have unknowledgeable Workers, but I Have the Luck to Find ALL the ones that DO.) So to get back to your suggestion, That Sounds Good, BUT I Need to Find A Chevy Dealer that Has someone that Can talk Shop with This Ford Dealer, or Maybe educate Each Other on How to Fix/Repair Vehicles, In General. I Do Appreciate Your Suggestion, & Thank You for Offering Your Opinion.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #7

Member #: 623
Check out my gallery 
I have a 2006 1LT with the same clunk sound when going over even small bumps in the left front driver area.

Had new struts and shocks installed ($800) and while it needed them (50K miles) the noise is still there.

We also have a 2010 1LT and so far no issues with that one (10K miles). At least I know there is nothing mechanically wrong, but the noise is irritating.
tucsondivots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:54 AM   #8

Check out my gallery 
Smile

I Have tried Everything to fix it, Yes it Is irratating & Annoying, but If it is nothing mechanical, just maniacial, then I Will Learn to Ride with that 'little gremlin' riding with me banging his tune on the front end.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #9

Member #: 14738
Check out my gallery 
Just want to make sure that you have also had the end links replaced. A popular replacement part on these forums are the Moog #K750012 end links with zerk(grease) fittings.

Howto starts on page 2 at post #13
http://chevyhhr.net/forums/showthrea...t=30205&page=2

Also, after some interesting reading, it may be that the swaybar bushings need to be replaced. Not a terribly difficult job but not easy and not for the timid.
Mods: GMPP Intake, EBC Slotted and Dimpled rotors, EBC greenstuff pads, premium floor mats w/HHR logo, rubber mats w/ HHR logo, IPCW LED tail lights, LED license plate lights, HHR door sills, stubby antenna
briand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #10

Check out my gallery 
I'm Not Very mechanically inclined to attempt tearing apart & trying to put parts back together, So I had My mechanic give it a 'once-over' & he said that those looked to be ok, & didn't Seem to be the problem. I Am going to have Another look at those, just to make sure Nothing was overlooked.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:08 AM

submit to reddit