Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

headlight/electrical issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:32 PM

headlight/electrical issue?

I have a 2009 HHR LT1. Every now and then, I change the setting for the headlights to come on when I unlock the car. I did this a couple weeks ago and noticed the Driver's Side Headlight did not come on, but the Passener Side Headlight did. When I started the car, both Headlights came on as though nothing was wrong in the entire world. I changed the setting back and though nothing of it.

Tonight, I noticed it seemed awfully dark out on my way home and low and behold, NEITHER HEADLIGHT worked! I flashed the high beams and they worked fine. I got out of the car and did the standard percussive maintenance slap on the DRIVER SIDE and on it came.

I drove home with only that light working.

Upon arriving home, (thankfully without getting a ticket), just for kicks, I changed the setting back to having the headlights come on when I unlock the car. I got out and hit the remote and wouldn't you know the PASSENGER SIDE HEADLIGHT CAME ON, BUT NOT THE DRIVER SIDE--just like the first time. I got back in the vehicle, turned on the car and only the DRIVER SIDE WORKED. I have that sinking feeling that this is something of a major issue. Since it only has a tad over 42K, I know my "Warranty Forever" dealer (Thanks, Vandevere!) won't help unless I first give them cash just to peek and take a guess.

Anyone have a clue? Is it a common problem?
Old 12-09-2011, 07:22 PM

I has a bad bulb. when you slaped the fender it came on. just replace the bulb. good time to up grade !
Old 12-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Technical Moderator

Another case of "don't understand DRL/Automatic headlights" syndrome. When you turn the car on in the day light the high beams turn on at half power/no tail lights (DRLs). When darkness falls/windshield wipers on the headlights go to low beam/tail lights on.

In other words, you need a new headlamp, or 2. Don't get your panties up in a bunch.:d ancingbat::stirth epot:

Seems like sometimes people are actually trying to get mad at the evil corporations that are trying to get rid of all of their customers just for the sake of ongoing profits. Oops, a rant.