Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

What is this part?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 PM

What is this part?

When I was checking the battery in my 09 HHR, I found this broken plastic [IMG][/IMG]tube laying in the well.(See pic) Does anyone know what it is, where it goes and where can I get a new one? I would appreciate any help.

P.R

Old 06-28-2011, 05:55 PM

It looks like a battery vent tube , But i believe HHRs all have sealed batteries.
Unless you got yours used and someone replaced the original with a vented one. ?

Old 06-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

As Batman says.....Also.....

If you still have a vented battery, the tube looks like it still can be re installed. The cracked end goes through an opening in the floor of the wheel well. The end with the rib fits into a connection on the battery. You SHOULD/MUST have a vented battery. The out gases from the battery are DANGEROUS.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:52 PM

Yep, that is the vent tube for the battery. OSHA requires it, because the battery is mounted inside the vehicle with the occupants. I just put a new battery in my 2007 yesterday, and re-attached the vent tube to the new battery. Its true the batteries that are maintenance free, vent very little, but they still will vent small quantities of gasses, so you should replace that cracked vent tube, and attach to the battery vent, just to be on the safe side.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:16 PM

As I posted in the battery thread... I have an 09 and mine was also broken. It looks like too short a piece and was put on the 90 degree elbow that goes into the battery wrong. Go to the dealer under warranty-see my quote below...

Got my vent line changed under warranty. While checking my spares pressure I noticed the battery vent tube connector to the battery was broken off. It looks like the battery tube was also cracked when it was put on the connector on the factory line. The new one was longer and pre-curved to fit the space. Must have been a redesign.

The elbow is easy to take out of the battery cover even if its broken-just fish any broken piece out with a paper clip bent into a straight piece with a small hook at the end-stick it in and pull.

Your piece looks just like mine. The dealer most likely has to order you one so check with them first before you was your time with an appointment. Also when you go to the dealer when the part come in-have EVERYTHING out of the well-even the tire. Its a 2 minute job then.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:05 PM

This vent tube is far too stiff at even cool temperatures and very stiff under cold conditions typical when a battery needs attention. I does not take much to dislodge it.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:22 PM

maintenance free batteries.

I asked one of the Exide Engr. in the auto battery mfg., about the maintenance free batteries, his comment was they put 5 years of water in the batteries, i Arizona good luck with high temps. when a battery reaches 80% recharge 2.36 VPC [ volts per cell ] it starts to gas breaking down the H2O, with the older batteries you had vent caps to vent the gas, and to add water.