Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Reduced pwr, engine disabled, service traction/esc. yowza.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 12:10 PM

Reduced pwr, engine disabled, service traction/esc. yowza.

I have a 2009 LS with approx 715,000 kilometers.

It's been a great vehicle, without a doubt. With the amount of km's I have put her through, she's starting to put up a bunch of problems now.

Ever since it got cold (-15C or so), the abs light and traction control light have come on, and randomly i'll also get the warnings in the DIC for "SERVICE ESC" "SERVICE TRACTION" "TRACTION/ESC OFF" (i can't remember the exact wording, but it's close lol ) It's rather random, some trips, these lights will all be off, some trips they'll all be on. If they come on while braking, the car has a bit of a lurch. Feels like getting kicked in the back end.

This has been happening for about a month. I havent had time to get it into the dealer and don't drive it very often anymore. Using an '03 Savana van for courier work nowadays.

Fast forward to this past weekend. Took the HHR on a trip, and ENG PWR REDUCED light came on, CEL illuminated, and the hhr was completely gutless. We stopped at the next city and turned it off for about 10 minutes (googled the issue and couldn't find anything really relevant), grabbed some fast food, cleaned the windows, and then got back in the HHR and fired it up. No lights, no warnings, nothing. It was like everything was A-OK.

Drove for another hour and a half or so, and ENG PWR REDUCED came back on and the car was gutless. We were about half hour from home, so we kept driving it. Just as we were about 5 minutes from home, the engine died and the dash said "ENGINE DISABLED". we pulled over, turned the key off, waited 10 minutes. Turned it back on, ENG PWR REDUCED was the message on the dash, and we slowly limped it home.

Today I finally got some time to read the codes using a cheap code reader bought some time ago.
Codes are:
P2122
P2138
u0101
u0073

The first two would be related to the sensors in the gas pedal assembly right? I replaced the gas pedal assembly last spring though, which makes me think this may be more of a wiring problem? Any ideas?

The last two codes make me think it's the computer or wiring to the computer? Or the transmission control module?

Has anyone else seen these codes pop up in your hhr, and have any idea what the cause could be? shorted out wiring or loose connection somewhere? I'm thinking i'll be needing to tow it to the local chevy dealer.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, it could been a loose ground wire, a dying cell in the car battery (that's my guess, so have it checked at you Laval parts palace)
Here's a directory for grounds

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...cations-56504/
Old 01-07-2017, 01:08 PM
Technical Moderator

This is my guess:

And then: Have the ignition recalls been done?

Connections to the ECM and Throtte Body?

Wires laying on hot surfaces?

Wires chafed, especially where the harness goes around the EVAP purge valve bracket.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. The ignition recall has already been done. Just realized there's a passenger airbag recall, so it'll have to go in for that too. It's too cold to be outside taking it apart today, but i'll check whatever wiring i see for loose connections and any chafing.

Now that i'm thinking about it, the radio died in the fall, but after a couple of weeks it was working again. I had checked the fuse for the radio in the passenger side footwell, and it was fine. I must have a short or chafed wires somewhere. The car is starting fine, with a CEL on and whatever messages it feels like popping up at random (abs light/ traction light/ eng power reduced/ service esc/ service traction/ esc off).

My savana van is at the shop today getting a bunch of work done on it, so the HHR will have to wait until next payday. I'll check the bundles of wiring and make sure the fuses are seated well, other than that, i think it'll be off to the shop in a week. damn elecrical gremlins!
Old 01-07-2017, 07:21 PM
Administrator

With a CEL on it'll start. How old is the battery?
Old 01-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Technical Moderator

Check the TCM connector. U0101 means "lost communication with TCM" U0073 mean "lost communication with a CANbus module"; in other words, the same thing: wiring to the TCM is compromised, maybe the connector on the transmission.

You have not mentioned coolant, so I'm assuming you have checked it.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:16 PM

Coolant level is fine.

I checked for any loose wires, couldn't see anything, but its -10C out and starting to snow... i dont have a garage to park in to really look at anything further.

Also checked the terminals at the battery as well and they aren't corroded and the connections are good. The battery was replaced in ... 2013 i believe? (replaced it about the same time i had to replace the power steering motor)

Started it up and just the CEL is on now and the ABS light. Might take it for a spin tomorrow night if the roads aren't too bad. We have a snowfall warning in place for tonight. oh joy. lol Without being able to really look at anything on it in the weather outside, i'll most likely take it to our chevy dealer for a diagnosis.

Thank you guys for your input. I truly appreciate it. When i find out what was causing the problems, or find out anything new, i'll definitely post.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Take it to your local parts palace for a free battery and charging system check .
Do you have a Parts Source out there?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:54 PM

Unfortunately no, not out west here. I'll check with Lordco on saturday and see if they can test the battery. Not sure if they offer that, but it'd be a start. I'm sure the stealership... i mean, dealership, would charge me an hour labour to do the same thing! LOL
Old 01-09-2017, 09:49 PM
Technical Moderator

Most big box parts stores will do it. Even Wal-Mart.

Quick Reply: Reduced pwr, engine disabled, service traction/esc. yowza.