Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Service traction, service "esc" error.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 02:34 PM

Service traction, service "esc" error.

I have a 2010 HHR LS. I have been getting intermittent problems with my braking system and throttle system. Sometimes when I am driving along and hit slight bumps, you can feel the power cut slightly. Also when I hit small bumps sometimes, you can feel the abs system start pulsating. Usually it is fairly minor. Sometimes though, it gets really bad, like every time i hit the brakes the abs starts pulsating. When it gets like that it will flash "service esc", "service traction", and turn off the esc system. When it turns off the esc system, the symptoms completely go away. I think it is one of the wheel speed sensors, or the connectors for it that is the culprit. I want to replace the connectors first and rewire the system before I try anything else, but the harness is over a hundred dollars. Does anyone know if I can just buy the connectors themselves and wire it up myself?

I will replace the hubs as a last resort. Does anyone know what the testing procedure is for determining whether the speed sensor is bad? I have read a couple different methods, such as hooking up a DMM and getting a resistance reading of the sensor. Another method is to hook up the DMM set to AC voltage, and spin the wheel. You should get an ac voltage reading if the sensor is working properly. I am just curious what the actual GM recommended procedure, and tolerances are for testing them. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Old 09-02-2015, 03:15 PM
Technical Moderator

It is most likely a bad hub. Not a connector. A new connector will probably cost as mu h as a hub.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:52 PM

I have found connectors for around $12, I am just not 100% sure if they are the right one. It could be the hub though, I'd hate to replace the hub, only to have the wiring be bad and still have to replace it too. Which is why Id rather spend the money on the connectors first. That and it is a much easier job to replace a few connectors than the hub.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:23 PM
Technical Moderator

How do you think the connectors came to be damaged? Do you know which one to replace? Have you had the ABS system scanned? Are your hubs making noise (front & rear), are your tires wearing oddly, are your brakes in good order (front & rear)? There are diagnostic procedures.

The connectors don't wear out! Unless you are fiddling with them 30 times every day.

If you are going to do it anyway, why ask for advice then argue about the advice. Do you have some evidence that you have not shared? Like "I ran over something that could have snagged a wire".
Old 09-02-2015, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
How do you think the connectors came to be damaged? Do you know which one to replace? Have you had the ABS system scanned? Are your hubs making noise (front & rear), are your tires wearing oddly, are your brakes in good order (front & rear)? There are diagnostic procedures.

The connectors don't wear out! Unless you are fiddling with them 30 times every day.

If you are going to do it anyway, why ask for advice then argue about the advice. Do you have some evidence that you have not shared? Like "I ran over something that could have snagged a wire".
I drive down a gravel road everyday that flings rocks up underneath. Sometimes I drive faster than I should too. I believe My hubs are fine, no sound coming from the wheels, and they have no play. I get that a connector isn't going to wear out, but they do corrode and can get damaged.

I'm not ignoring advice, but you didn't really answer what I asked, if I can purchase just the connector. If so, can I get a part number? I also asked the correct testing procedure and tolerances for the wheel speed sensor.

Like I said, I would rather spend 50 or 60 bucks buying 4 connectors, and rewiring the whole system, than have to replace a wheel hub on the off chance that it might be bad.

I did have the ABS system checked out, they couldn't find anything.

From what I have read on this forum regarding this issue them finding nothing doesn't mean a whole lot though. I have read of people replacing wheel hubs only to have the issue crop up again. I also read of someone replacing the connector and it fixed it... So I will start with the cheapest, easiest possible fix first.

The main reason I am leaning towards a wiring issue is because of the intermittent nature of the issue. It tends to only do it when going over bumps and such.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:28 PM
Technical Moderator

Go to a parts store like NAPA or a GM dealer for parts numbers.

The ONE instance I recall of a bad connector was somebody actually broke a wire.

The last pair of hubs I bought cost $90. But one of them has a bad sensor that causes intermittent Service TRACTION, ESC off,and ABS warnings.

Okay, it's not a bad hub. Have you inspected the wires? Have you inspected the OTHER end of the wires? Has anybody unplugged any wires?
Old 09-02-2015, 11:39 PM

In most cases the symptom you describe is cause by a speed sensor that is not reading low speeds.

If one sensor stops reading at 10 mph but the rest of them are still reading speed the abs will be applied because the system thinks that a wheel has stopped turning.

The best way to find which sensor is at fault is reading the speed sensor with a scan tool. The one that go's to 0 first will be your bad sensor.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky
In most cases the symptom you describe is cause by a speed sensor that is not reading low speeds.

If one sensor stops reading at 10 mph but the rest of them are still reading speed the abs will be applied because the system thinks that a wheel has stopped turning.

The best way to find which sensor is at fault is reading the speed sensor with a scan tool. The one that go's to 0 first will be your bad sensor.
Thanks. Any idea of a decent scan tool, at a decent price, that can monitor the Wheel Speed Sensors? I was looking into ScanXL with the GM Enhanced Diagnostics addon. Does anyone have any experience with that software?

Last edited by snyper1982; 09-03-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:01 PM

The only aftermarket scan tool I have used that would read wheel speed sensors was a snap on scan tool. I'm sure there are others but mostly the high end tool will read them.

Unfortunately the high end scan tools come at a high end price.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:50 PM

Service Traction

I have replaced my hub about 3 months ago, now I am getting the service traction, ABS and esc messages. Its intermittent right now, but last week when it rained the message came back up and was having a hard time accelerating from a stop. Once the streets dried up there was no problem. Any suggestions on what I can check next before I head to a mechanic.

Quick Reply: Service traction, service "esc" error.