Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

SCCA soloII

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:09 AM

An Impala SS would be a handful. I ran an underpowered car (that I could be on the gas with more than most other people), so I wouldn't be able to really relate. I had a buddy that had an '02 Z06, and he tried to give me pointers, but it was almost like we were on a different course. for example, I was on the floor just after entry on most turns, while he always had to wait to keep his car from stepping out... He had about 3x the power, nearly double the tread width, and probably double the braking - but I could match his times...
Old 04-23-2012, 10:20 AM

when I lived in florida we had an impala club that would have pretty regular autocross events and we would "compete" against the miata guys.. one month we"d set the course, next month they'd set the course... they enjoyed watching the barges negotiate the tight curvy track...and were often surprised when we bested some of their times...

Autocross never failed to bring a smile to my face... but tires, brakes, transmissions, ect. adds up quick...

the Imp I had done sway bars, exhaust, springs, gumball tires, 3.73 gears and some cam and ignition work... it was handful but it was fun..
Old 04-23-2012, 12:27 PM

One guy in this area used to bring a White Roadmaster wagon out about 5 years ago or so. We called him Capt. Ahab. It was not modified - or, if it was, it was all motor. Lots of wallowing and tire squeals. Fun to watch, though!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
One guy in this area used to bring a White Roadmaster wagon out about 5 years ago or so. We called him Capt. Ahab. It was not modified - or, if it was, it was all motor. Lots of wallowing and tire squeals. Fun to watch, though!
Capt. Ahab! Awesome!

I've seen a few "beaters" out on track days. My favorite was this stripped down Geo Metro hatchback that looks like it had been rolled a few times. Ther wasn't an undented panel anywhere in sight. The guy drove it like he stole it, and he might have.

AutoX is so fun! I'm might just have to run my SS now!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 PM

Waking up an old thread--I'm planning on autox'ing this coming season w/ my 08 HHR SS. I had raced my 09 Cobalt SS Turbo several times and faired pretty well. I see a lot of talk on this thread about how hard it is on your car. I rarely got out of 2nd gear and mostly left it there unless there was a REALLY slow speed turn requiring 1st. And if you don't drive nuts, its not bad on the rest of your car. The adrenaline is the problem. You floor the go pedal on a tight turn and your tires turn to smoke. Use it as a driving lesson to drive effeciently (not to be confused w/ fuel effeciently!).
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 PM

You're right. It's not really hard on the car. Hard launches could be, but they aren't normally that helpful unless you are really at the top of the class, and searching for that last couple of tenths. Mostly, it's about tires. I ran once last year on the old OEM tires (that I didn't care about at that point), and had some fun smoking them a bit on launches and a couple of tight turns. I'm sort of lazily looking for another set of wheels, and then I might get back into it more. The techniques I learned in my old car need to be revised with a turbo. Also, no one seems to know where to put the car for a stock class. I tried DS (where Cobalt Turbos go) and got dusted by the Minis. Better tires would help, but I think the weight we have should put it in GS (my opinion only!). Anyway, have fun, and don't worry about the car...
Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
Also, no one seems to know where to put the car for a stock class...
I agree. I contacted the local chapter here for the SCCA through their forum and all they found was DSP! P for prepared. I would be bundled in w/ modded up Spec Miatas and cars not even close to my style. I looked in last year's SCCA rule book and did a keyword search. The only time HHR SS showed up was in DSP. Doesn't really concern me since I just go to have fun, but if I were heavily competing, I would be pissed.