Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Radio dead stick?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:46 AM

Unhappy Radio dead stick?

I know this has been posted countless time and I've spent hours digging around trying to figure out the best approach to rectify the issue, but as I can't seem to find a single thread with my situation or one similar I decided to start a new one. Also, all the threads I found were fairly old...

I have an '06 2LT with the premium Pioneer system - 6 disc, XM, sub. No Onstar (and therefore no B/T).

Yesterday morning while driving to work the front speakers (both the
doors and the A-Pillar tweeters) went out. The rear door speakers and subwoofer continued to function.

As a result of this I also lost my turn signal click and chime indicators, since they are actually issued from the speakers in the front.

After work I did some research here and did the following:
1) checked all fuses / relays - everything is intact and fully seated in their respective sockets.
2) with the car off and the key out of the ingition, I pulled the radio from the dash and unplugged all 3 attachment points from the back (antenna, speaker harness and power/accessories harness) and re-seated them

After #2, I buttoned the dash back up and proceeded to start the vehicle. Wonderfully, all speakers now worked, I had my blinker and my chimes back. I was a happy camper - fixed at no cost to me!!! Or so I thought...

I then went to the store. On my way, after about 10 minutes, the front speakers went out again.

I arrived at the store, went inside and did what I needed to do there and came back out to my car about 20 minutes later.

While in the parking lot I pulled the radio again (this time with the car running so I could have the A/C on). I had the radio turned off. I pulled it out, unplugged everything but the antenna and plugged it back in. As soon as I seated the speaker harness (right hand plug looking down from the top) the radio went through some "warm up" exercises - I heard it cycle through the cd changer. After this the illumination kicked in and the clock display lit up.

I bolted the radio back in and reconnected all the plugs on the bezel (hazard, dimmer, rear wiper, etc) and turned the radio on. Sound from the rear only (and sub).

Getting aggravated at this point, I once again pulled it out and unplugged it (but this time I was impatient and didn't turn it off) I just disconnected the harnesses.

Its now that the issue got worse. When I reconnected the harnesses, I had NOTHING on the radio - no "warm up" exercises, no illumination, no display, nothing. Its like its getting now power at all. I turned off the car, waited, restarted the car (hoping it would "reboot" things) and still had a dead radio.

I checked all the fuses once again and everything is still intact. After getting home I once again removed the radio and double checked (without unplugging) the harnesses at the back of the radio. Just wiggled the wiring a bit to see if maybe it wasn't making a clean connection.

This morning before leaving for work I disconnected the (+) battery terminal for approximately 5 minutes, hoping this would serve to "reboot" the car. This was unsuccessful as the radio is still a dead stick (pardon the cliche).

What would you suggest I do as next steps?

Should I take it to a dealership and have them check it out? I called a couple and they are all saying its going to take time @$70+ / hour to even diagnose the issue. Should I take it in and tell them what I want done up front? How can I even tell if that is what it needs?

I was quoted a price of almost $600 to replace with an OEM unit. At that rate I'll go aftermarket on the HU and get one with DVD and B/T. Just need to make sure I get something with integrated XM, since I subscribe.

I saw a nice Pioneer unit on Crutchfield's site for $450. Its the Pioneer AVH-P3300BT.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P330...ite_Radio_(XM)

If I do go aftermarket, what do I need to do to be able to retain blinker and chime sounds? Also, will it integrate with the steering wheel controls and would the button that is currently "mute" for my factory unit then be able to initiate the BT on this unit? Perhaps these are questions for the guys over at Crutchfield if / when I do buy it.

I'm not looking right now for all sorts of feedback on aftermarket HUs, but rather options to recover my stock unit. I'm perfectly happy with it and really just want it back in action.

The best part is I have the changer fully loaded and now have no way other than some serious patience with a screwdriver or 2 (or a BFH) to recover them.

Any advice? Its only been a day, but this is going to get old really fast as I have a commute of 1 hr each way for work and its REALLY long with no tunes...
Old 10-14-2011, 11:42 AM

It is possible that the dealer needs to re-enter the codes in the BCD to tell your radio that it is indeed in the car and that it should work.

My local dealer said it would cost me $70.00 for them to do that for me.

I was having problems with my drivers side speakers, both front and rear, not working all the time. I removed them and put in after market speakers in the front doors and moved the working passenger side front speaker to the drivers side rear.

I tried many things to make it work before replacing and switching speakers around. I now have the speakers that had stopped working on my test bench hooked to a Clarion stereo I had temporarily lashed up in the HHR and they have not failed since I hooked it all up.

If you go with an aftermarket stereo there is a thing you can put in your dash to make the chimes and turn signal noises.

Here is the URL for the PAC device.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/46512456...ack-it-PAC-it_
Old 10-14-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
Here is the URL for the PAC device.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/46512456...ack-it-PAC-it_
I installed the one that Grizzly suggests. For me works fine with my aftermarket stereo and I still having the chimes.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:14 AM

@JTKrupa, I have read your post about your situation with your radio and speakers. I can understand how frustrating this can be to find out exactly what is going on so you can get this taken care of .

When you contacted the dealerships, did you let them know what you have already done to the car's audio system? This might help them in trying to help you find out what is going on.

I know that there are many members of the forum that are very knowledgeable with this type of thing. I am sure that they will offer avenues for you to try.

I hope that you can get this taken care of soon so you will be able to enjoy listening to your tune once again.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 10-16-2011, 12:29 PM

First the thing that bugs me is that if these radios are supposed to be tied to the car by VIN number, how does this happen? Its as if the stock radio lost its memory of the car's VIN. If this happens, at no real fault of the owner's, we have to pay up to $100 to recover it? Its one thing if something mechanical goes from use, but a radio? Go ahead, call me hypocritical, but its just my opinion.

Anyway...

when I contacted the dealerships I laid out to them (two on the phone and one via email and then phone) the exact timeline in which events transpired.

the dealership I emailed and then talked to on the phone kept trying to tell me it was the speakers. I kept telling him it doesn't matter if the speakers are bad or not, I don't have a functioning head unit...finally had to get ignorant on the phone with him - he just didn't get it.

The other 2 said the most likely is to replace the radio, and all quoted me in excess of $400 to replace the radio.

Here is my dilemma - I could take it to the dealer and tell them to reprogram it, but I would need some guarantee that it would actually work before I can justify paying the fee to have this done. If there is no way to concretely say this will work (to at least restore the rear speakers so I have some sort of music) then I just can't go that route and will have to suffer the silence until I can afford to go aftermarket.

Is there any way possible to bring this unit back to life (some sort of reset) without going through the dealership??

Should I contact the local stereo shop and see if they have any way to troubleshoot it, or is this something only a dealer can do thanks to the way GM has this setup?

Last edited by JTKrupa; 10-16-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: adding some additional comments without another reply
Old 10-16-2011, 02:34 PM

Most of this is already in my own thread about my own stereo problems.

The thing for me was I thought the stock radio had ceased playing on the left side. It turned out to be defective speakers.

I bought a replacement HHR stereo on eBay and brought it to the dealer who said he would flash the codes at no charge since we had only bought the car two months beforehand. When we bought it everything was working fine. We only got a 60 day warrantee with the purchase of the used vehicle.

The replacement stereo would not take any of the codes they tried to put into it, it remained ‘Locked’ the dealer said I must have gotten a defective radio or the cars BCD was incompatible with the radio for some other reason. The person I emailed at GM said all of these radios, no matter if they were put in the HHR or the Cobalt or any of the other vehicles they come stock in are compatible with all BCD’s and my dealer obviously was not informed.

So I put in a Clarion aftermarket stereo and it worked fine for a few months. I bought a second used HHR stereo on eBay and was going to put it in my buggy, the dealer was going to flash the codes in that but, it was going to cost me $70 this time, that’s when the drivers side speakers stopped working all the time again. And my wife was unhappy about having lost all the chimes and blinker noise functions.

With this new event I dug out the original radio put it in dash and temporarily hooked up some Infinity three way speakers from the big box of speakers out in the garage.

The original stereo played fine with the replacement speakers and I did not have to have the codes reset for it to go, just put it back in the car.

So some rings to fill the space in the front doors were built to mount the Infinity speakers, and the passengers side front speaker moved to the drivers side rear door.

What is really strange is the speakers from the doors are now lashed up on my bench to the Clarion stereo and have not failed to play when I turn it on. So, I built them a pair of cabinets out of scavenged oak pallet boards. I did give them a lavish dose of WD-40 on the speaker frogs and voice coil when the were still in the doors, so maybe that finally worked its way in to where it needed to be.

I would like to use one of the HHR radios in my garage but would have to buy a compatible BCD and have the code entered in that and keep power to it all the time. I wish there were a home user way to do that but I’m sure it’s a dealer proprietary thing.

Last edited by Grizzly old man; 10-16-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:05 PM

Ok, thanks Grizzly. I may be beating a dead horse or just be missing something but I'm kind of lost as to how the unit, regardless of being disconnected from the car, thinks its in the wrong vehicle?

Shouldn't it display "locked" or something of that nature? Mine is just blank, no display or illumination of any kind.

I'm going to play around a little bit with the unit (though I'm sure there isn't anything I can do) - I'll pull and reset all the fuses and relays in the car (not going to hurt anything). Who knows, maybe I'll stumble across a blown one I missed before...one can only hope.

Sounds like my best best is going to be aftermarket at this point as it doesn't seem like there is any guarantee the dealer is going to be able to recover anything through flashing. Its just a stab in the dark from what I can gather...

Any other suggestions?
Old 10-16-2011, 09:17 PM

I suppose I could send you the second radio I bought on eBay for you to try. I think it is just a single CD player but I don’t know for sure as I never did quite get around to putting it in my car.

I kept all the packaging material so all I’d have to do is mail it to you.

Let me know if you want to do this.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:57 PM

Thanks Grizzly - I appreciate it. I'll pass for right now as I wouldn't want to presume and I surely don't want any handouts (not that you are offering that)...

I'm just stuck - as I would like to just go aftermarket and be done with it but I literally have no $$ at this moment so it will have to wait.

Not that will have any bearing on anything but i just came back into the house from fooling around with it a little more (grasping at straws really) - and noticed that my from socket (cigarette lighter, whatever) is dead. I can plug my phone charger into the rear and it works, but when I plug into the front i get nothing.

I have literally pulled every single fuse from both the BCM fuse panel and the Engine Compartment fuse box and not one single fuse is defective. I pulled and reset each relay while I was at it as well...

so here is where I stand as far as options on the entire car and a go no-go if they work:

Hazards - Go (no click since no radio)
Fog lights - Go
Dimmer - Go
Pass A/B indicator - Go
Radio - NO GO
Temp controls - ALL GO (a/c, fan, selectors, temp, rear defog)
Rear Wiper - GO (wipe and wash)
Cig Lighter - NO GO
Windows - All GO
Rear Power outlet - GO
Autodim mirror - GO (compass too)
Roof - GO
Cruise S/W controls - GO
Radio S/W controls - Assume GO as they worked until the radio crapped
Horn - GO
Wipers - FULL GO (delay, speeds, washer)
Blinkers - GO - no click since no radio
Power Seat - Go
Heated Seats - Go
Remote Start - Go
Remote Doors - Go
All interior window / door controls work
Gate - Go

I know that most of this is pointless jabbering on my part but here's hoping the combo if the radio and cig lighter might tickle someone's memory...

Guess I'll deal with no radio until I get paid this week...then I'll start asking dealers in the area costs for specific services only. Lord knows there are enough Chevy / GM dealers in my area (I can think of at least 15 off the top of my head in a 30 mile radius)

Thanks again for all your help / suggestions. Hang on to your replacement OEM unit Griz - maybe you'll figure out how to make it all work in your shop like you want.

I'll keep posting as progress is made (fingers crossed).
Old 10-16-2011, 10:32 PM

Humm,… sure sounds like a blown fuse to me. Maybe the back side of the fuse block has a burned off wire or something equally dumb.

As far as the second replacement radio goes, its just a brick sitting here on the end of the kitchen cabinet would be no loss to me at all.

I still have the first one I bought that only says locked when you put power to it to mess with. And I do have the Clarion rocking away on the bench when I want it to.

I’ve managed to lose the tag with the VIN number on it for the first radio I bought but the second still has it attached with a zip tie.

Quick Reply: Radio dead stick?