Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Amp and 10 inch sub install

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:22 PM

Amp and 10 inch sub install

Some time ago, I installed an aftermarket head unit (Pioneer DEH-P80MP), 4 Rockford Fosgate 6 3/4 speakers, and a 10 inch Aura sub in an enclosure with an old Carver amp). I originally had the premium sound system and used a Metro adapter that allowed me to use the factory amp, but I got a lot of alternator noise plus the factory subwoofer was degrading the overall sound of the system. Next, I purchased a different Metro adapter that allowed me to use the head units amp. (I had to install a separate speaker that I wedged under the steering colum for the OnStar, plus a relay for the turnsignal click.) It is much better, but still not quite up to my high standards. So I am going for an external amp for all of the speakers.

The small Carver sub amp fit nicely in the space next to the battery-but my Aura 5 channel amp is way too large. I came up with what I believe to be the perfect way to mount it without losing any of the storage space under the rear deck, plus allowing for plenty of cooling air. I removed the plastic panal behind the rear seat (just 2 philip screws) and attached a piece of 3/4 plywood that I stained and polyurathaned. Then, I just screwed the amp to it. Since the wood I used was a little longer than necessary, I have room to mount my fuse block and any future devices like crossovers.

Finally, I hated having the sub box taking up trunk space, and making it hard to lift the trunk panal to get at the hidden storage tray. So, I enlarged the 8 inch sub hole to accomodate a 10 inch speaker. Next, I screwd in a piece of wood to reduce the size of the space behind the speaker. I then stuck on Dynamat Extreme to every surface (I also did all 4 door panals) and then stuffed some fiberglass to further help tune up the sound. The result-bass is so strong that I had to put foam pads around my rear license plate because it was rattling. I need a different sub because it is not handling the power well (gain on the amp is set to zero). And I am considering getting really crazy and adding a socket so I can plug in an additional sub in an enclosure (my amp is stable with a 2 ohm load) for special occassions.

I have a small bag with my wax and cleaning supplies that I keep bungeed to the hold downs, and that helps hide the amplifier (along with the factory tinted windows).

I know everyone likes photos, so here they are.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Lee3333; 10-25-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:08 PM

Aww, c'mon you guys and gals. 47 views and no comments? Not that I am looking to impress anybody but I think I came up with a few really good ideas-an amp mount that allows for cooling, doesn't detract in trunk space, fairly out of view,and easy to adjust plus a solution to good bass, stealth look, and no loss of any trunk space at all.

Surely SOMEBODY must have something to say-either positive or negative. Plus, as an added bonus, you get to see my newly painted and flamed fire extinguisher and the way I store my flying Flash figure and paper towels.

I need my ego stroked
Old 10-27-2007, 04:17 PM

Job well done. You have alot more things going on in the back which is not my taste but its all about what you like is what counts. The only thing I see that could be straighten out is the wiring to the amp. You could untangle it than wire loom it nicely.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:18 PM

Isn't the Fire Extinguisher supposed to be up front with the driver
Old 10-27-2007, 04:38 PM

I like the paper towel holder.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by WhiplashHHR
Job well done. You have alot more things going on in the back which is not my taste but its all about what you like is what counts. The only thing I see that could be straighten out is the wiring to the amp. You could untangle it than wire loom it nicely.

I neglected to clean things up because I was lazy and anxious to take the picture of the amp. That said, I go for function rather than asthetics. I realize that paper towels hanging from the head rest is not exactly pretty, but it certainly is more convient than when I used to keep it under the rear deck. Same goes for the bag that holds all of my cleaning supplies. The plastic bag is something I have to remember to return to a store so I keep it out as a reminder until I finally return it.

When I had my race car, I had the fire extinguisher mounted on the roll cage within arms reach. Hopefully the HHR is less likely to burn-it is more for looks and to score points at car shows.

The wiring will be completed as soon as I finish the system. I have new speaker wires on order and have to run them from the old harness that plugged into the factory amp to my new amp. For now, I just did a quick job to see how it worked. Ultimately I want to bypass the radio amp and use all 5 channels of the Aura amp. I will post pictures of the job when it is complete and I think you will see the difference Keep in mind that I am a Virgo and tend to be very, very organized. You should see my workshop-I have a pegboard.across the entire back wall-about 14 feet wide by 5 feet high. Every tool has it's place-I can close my eyes and find anything I need. If anybody uses something and misplaces it, I get extremely upset when I reach for it and it isn't there.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:06 PM

I was just kidding about the paper towels but actually, that would be pretty handy.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:19 PM

It sucks when your hands are dirty and you cant find anything to wipe them off on. Plus, when I had them under the rear deck the roll kept getting squashed. For me, function=beauty