Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

warped rotors - AGAIN!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 03:11 PM

warped rotors - AGAIN!!!

I know this is an issue that has been covered in a number of threads, however, I have finally had it with this inferior car. I am kicking myself, for ever trusting General Motors again, and turning in my excellent Civic for this piece of garbage. In a year and a half, I have had the rotors machined three times. Two times covered by warranty, as service advisor referered to as GM good will, HA!!, and now I have to pay 200 bucks.
This weekend, while on a trip to celebrate my wedding anniversary, I was travelling 65 mph, on a pretty decent downhill grade, and applied my brakes to slow with traffic, when the horrible steering wheel shuttering began, and it felt as if the front of the care would fall off. My wife was terrified. Service advisor just called and said, I had to pay because there were no mechanical issues with the brakes, and that the issue lay with my driving habits. I was driving the speed limit, down hill and wanted to slow my vehicle to obey the basic speed law.
Wanted to see about trading it in, as it is now deemed unsafe by myself and family, and to pour salt in the wound, the car has lost 70% of it's value in a year and a half.
I will never buy another GM car and plan on eating the amt I am upside down and buying a Prius. Maybe I can make it up in fuel savings.
If doing research on this site, do not buy HHR. Inferior design and quality!!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:25 PM

I would call GM assistance. You mentioned there are many posts here regarding the brakes, all with the same symptoms. I would venture to say that you are not the only one that has visited that particular dealer having similar issues. Which dealer is it?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:27 PM

Sorry to hear that you are so displeased with your HHR. It looks like the brakes have been your main concern from day one based on all of your posts about bad brakes. I had my rotors turned once at 3k, and I would say it was caused by me putting on my new wheels. Now at 10k I am stopping fine and having no issues.

I am sure that driving style has something to do with it. A set of drilled and slotted rotors are only about $100 and are easily put on. If the rotors are your only issue, wouldn't it be worth it to drop a c-note rather than lose 70% of what you paid for your HHR?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:41 PM

I hate to say it but I'm kind of there with you. That's why I've been pretty quiet in this forum.

I've been fighting for a year now to get my front bumper correctly repainted by the dealer from when it was hit sitting on their lot. Rotors needed turning at 100 miles. Warped again now at 18,000. (I'm very easy on brakes!) Had three tires already replaced to fix vibration problems. Vibration is back again. Dealer couldn't properly align the car after it hit something in the road and it went to fighting with the service manager to get it sort of fixed. (It still pulled to the right.) The dome light has never worked with the back hatch open. The headliner rattles and has been fixed once already. Something is rattling under the dash and in the front end now. Windows get stuck when it has been below freezing at night (luckily I'm in SC).

I also looked up the trade in value and am very unhappy with the depreciation. Kind of a kick in the pants. I love the style and function of the car but it has some problems that should not be in a new car. I think I have finally won the battle with the bumper. Dealer is supposed to pull it off the car and completely repaint it. I'm going to try one more time to get the service problems all repaired at another dealer and see if they come back. If they do, I may try to sell it private owner and cut my losses.

GM has been very disappointing. Some of it is the dealer, but they are an extension of GM in my opinion. And this is coming from an avid GM supporter all my life. To top it off, my wife has an Equinox that has been in with problems for almost a month. It was shutting off while driving, would not start sometimes after shutting it off, and now the brake system has a problem. Oh, and it's leaking water on the front floor boards when it rains. The service department doesn't want to, or can't, fix all the problems and keeps giving it back to us. It's a joke.

We are to the point that we are talking about trading both of them in on something else and taking our losses. At least we won't be spending hours in a service department. I will not by another GM product again.

Sorry..... this post just made me have to vent.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:45 PM

mine seems like they are warped again too, but then again i do have about 25,000 miles so i guess its about time for a brake job and a upgrade.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:48 PM

GM has a long history of rotor problems mine came off within the first 36 hours for a $100.00 I can not put myself through the hassel of dealing with GM.You are only getting the same chinese rotor dealing with them if you added up all the time you wasted dealing with this 3 times it would come out to $10.00 an hour.

If that is your only problem with your HHR spend a $100 bucks and do it right and get on with life.I would not take a big trade in burn for a $100.00.I just got 108,000 miles on a set of rotors on my astro van and I some times tow 7,000 lbs useing only the van for braking.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:48 PM

The only part of my driving style that could affect the brakes, would be my decision to drive downhill at a safe rate of speed. I would love to buy aftermarket rotors and pads if I would be able to drive downhill without fear of warping. Please, by all means, point me in the right direction.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:55 PM

R-1 concepts: $97.20

http://store.r1concepts.com/Items/It...Brake%20Rotors
Old 03-10-2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by k5hart
I hate to say it but I'm kind of there with you. That's why I've been pretty quiet in this forum.

I've been fighting for a year now to get my front bumper correctly repainted by the dealer from when it was hit sitting on their lot. Rotors needed turning at 100 miles. Warped again now at 18,000. (I'm very easy on brakes!) Had three tires already replaced to fix vibration problems. Vibration is back again. Dealer couldn't properly align the car after it hit something in the road and it went to fighting with the service manager to get it sort of fixed. (It still pulled to the right.) The dome light has never worked with the back hatch open. The headliner rattles and has been fixed once already. Something is rattling under the dash and in the front end now. Windows get stuck when it has been below freezing at night (luckily I'm in SC).

I also looked up the trade in value and am very unhappy with the depreciation. Kind of a kick in the pants. I love the style and function of the car but it has some problems that should not be in a new car. I think I have finally won the battle with the bumper. Dealer is supposed to pull it off the car and completely repaint it. I'm going to try one more time to get the service problems all repaired at another dealer and see if they come back. If they do, I may try to sell it private owner and cut my losses.

GM has been very disappointing. Some of it is the dealer, but they are an extension of GM in my opinion. And this is coming from an avid GM supporter all my life. To top it off, my wife has an Equinox that has been in with problems for almost a month. It was shutting off while driving, would not start sometimes after shutting it off, and now the brake system has a problem. Oh, and it's leaking water on the front floor boards when it rains. The service department doesn't want to, or can't, fix all the problems and keeps giving it back to us. It's a joke.

We are to the point that we are talking about trading both of them in on something else and taking our losses. At least we won't be spending hours in a service department. I will not by another GM product again.

Sorry..... this post just made me have to vent.
Sorry to hear about your problems. I had tons that were just recently fixed. Thank goodness my dealer actually did something about them. I am pretty sure thought that one of your problems should be a simple fix: The dash/front end rattle is very likely the steering column. Any dealer that works on HHRs or Cobalts should be able to diagnose that!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by burbhhr
The only part of my driving style that could affect the brakes, would be my decision to drive downhill at a safe rate of speed. I would love to buy aftermarket rotors and pads if I would be able to drive downhill without fear of warping. Please, by all means, point me in the right direction.
one question that I haven't seen yet: Have you recently had your tires rotated, or any other service that would remove and re-install the wheels? It is possible that the rims are being overtorqued when reinstalled and that is why your rotors keep warping.

Quick Reply: warped rotors - AGAIN!!!