SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

ss manual rear flywheel cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:02 PM

ss manual rear flywheel cover?

I am almost done replacing a clutch that AAMCO transmissions messed up an install on for the previous owner. There were 3 bad mounts caused by loose bolts in the upper transmission mount. The shift cable bracket had loose bolts. Now I see that there should be a cover plate to the rear side of the engine, where the right axle comes out. I didn't notice it before, but the new transmission that was installed by the dimwits at AAMCO never had one on it. I can't seem to find a picture of one or see where I can get one. Any ideas? Or maybe I should order it from the dealer. The diagrams I have looked at don't show one as part of the assembly.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:24 AM

Something for from all the diagrams I have not seen a rear flywheel dust cover. Could it be that there is not one from the factory? I will check my with my dealer, but I looked at sites that sell OEM parts and none is listed and no diagram shows one. There are threaded holes where one could be bolted. I have a picture of it on my page. Somehow I can't paste it here, if anyone has info. https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...1849129126.jpg.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:15 AM
Technical Moderator

See the link in my Sig about posting pictures.

You missed the step involving the insert picture icon.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:44 AM
Administrator

I don't believe those threaded holes are for a dust cover or retainer plate, it appears to be for a bracket or support
Old 07-28-2015, 09:40 AM

I called my dealer and they do not have a rear flywheel dust cover listed. All of their diagrams do not show one. So apparently, this did come from the factory like this. In my area this is a problem, because of dirt/gravle roads. One stone gets up in there and it could really mess things up. I guess the folks at GM did not think that odds in favor of something from the road flying up and hitting it were great enough to put one there. I will be fabricating some sheet metal for it.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Being a 5 speed SS owner I'm a little confused by this thread. Exactly what do you think is missing ? You used the term "dust cover". The bell housing is a full enclosure so there would be no cover like on some vehicles.

The only thing exposed is the transmission casing and the axles. It would take a big rock or debris to do any damage. If you think the drive axles are at risk, just think of the millions of rear wheel drive vehicles with the drive shaft exposed.

As far as those extra holes. These 5 speeds were used in other vehicles as well. Those extra mount holes could be for another application or they may be used just during the manufacture/assembly process.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:29 PM

The opening in question is at the back side of the engine, where the right axle enters the transaxle. There is a spot where a.section the flywheel can be seen. I agree that parts such as axles are subject to pings from rocks and such, but flywheels are made with much less strength. Plus, the fact that what ever would travel in there has more of a chance to stay in and cause more damage. I talked with a Chevy tech and he confirmed that there is not a cover from the factory. I've never seen a modern car that did not enclose the entire flywheel, even if it just is plastic.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Guess you mean this opening in your picture.
Name:  flywheel.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  34.0 KB

Mine doesn't have any cover there either. Looks like your picture.

I took some pics of mine but can't get my phone to connect with my computer.
(using an old computer. My regular computer died. Ethernet card went bad. )
What I see in my pics doesn't actually look like the flywheel but I could be wrong.
I might try another camera and see if my old computer will recognize it.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the pic edit and for pasting the pic up there. Keep in mind that the axles as of yet are not in my car. I plan on making some kind of cover for it. By the way, to anyone spending their hard earned cash on a clutch replacement or trans install from AAMCO, be aware that this job involved replacing components that were damaged by a very shotty job. There were loose bolts, that damaged all of the mounts and caused one drive axle to fail. Granted that was just one tech at one AAMCO shop in Maryland, however if quality control is up to snuff a second set of eyes to check over things before it leaves the shop would have been part of their policy. This is why I take nothing to the shop.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:46 AM

I had to order another part for this clutch job. It was the right side axle carrier bearing. I should get it today. The note for this is that I had to go to a parts dealer that deals with Saab, as a lot of the driveline is Saab components. The Chevy dealer wanted $104 for the bearing, I got it for $38. And it is the OE part. The part is due today, so I should finally be back on the road.

Quick Reply: ss manual rear flywheel cover?