Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Floor jack placement

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:48 AM

Floor jack placement

Since i'll probably never use the factory jack even for a flat tire,, i was wondering about safe/correct places to get a floor jack under a HHR . I know over the years cars have been a lil less of a true old fashion "frame" mentality and unless you get a spot that that'll support it, you run the risk of screwing up the underneath of a vehicle.
And since this is my first non truck in a few years i figure it's gonna be a lil different just rollin a floor jack under and hitting something capable of being supported without tweeking something.Plus the HHr/SS has less space to get a floor jack under too.

Partly asking this cuz i plan to rotate the tires myself and do a good cleaning/waxing etc on the wheels prior to wintertime driving in my neck of the woods.(and if i feel i need to get the SS up in the air a lil to do a oil change) i know most of us here have done them w/ no problem with the car on the ground, but between my tired ol spinal fused back and my ummm, size (6'1" -275'ish) that might not work in my case(might be checking on ramps that'll work also,if i don't go a jack/stand route for a oil change)

So the question is: are there decent places to jack up a HHR other than maybe the front/rear suspension spots?
I'm one of those that rather ask here than find out myself on my own instead.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:23 AM

If you look closely just behind the front, and just in front of the rear wheel wells, there are small arrows on the bottom of the body that indicate jack points.

These arrows are what I use to locate my jack.

Cajun
Old 07-06-2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cajun
If you look closely just behind the front, and just in front of the rear wheel wells, there are small arrows on the bottom of the body that indicate jack points.

Cajun
Yup!
Old 07-06-2008, 12:33 PM

I had to use our jack and spare earlier this year. We had parked the HHR at LAX while we were gone on our trip to Egypt. Came back 18 days later to find a flat tire. It was either jack it up and put on the spare or wait a half hour for AAA to show up. After 24 hours on a plane, I was ready to go home! So out came the jack.

As mentioned, the arrows make it real easy.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cajun

Cajun
Hmmm, gonna have to check that out Thanks!
When i first saw I had this reply , i thought it said something along the lines of putting the jack saddle where the spot would be to use the factory jack, and as i found out many cars ago, usually the area used for the lil hook or whatever on a factory jack will not support a floor type jack there.Let's say after the first time, i learned the hard way(good thing the spot was easy to pull back out LOL )
Old 07-06-2008, 06:37 PM

Floor Jack adapter go to http://www.mrtool.com/browse.cfm/4,1359.html
Old 07-06-2008, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by an08HHR
Cool thanks!
Gonna check into it.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:07 PM

I've always jacked mine up under the radiator support and under the rear axle. No problems. Now if you are wanting to lift one side at a time that would be a different story.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by 08blackHHRSS
Since i'll probably never use the factory jack even for a flat tire,, i was wondering about safe/correct places to get a floor jack under a HHR . I know over the years cars have been a lil less of a true old fashion "frame" mentality and unless you get a spot that that'll support it, you run the risk of screwing up the underneath of a vehicle.
And since this is my first non truck in a few years i figure it's gonna be a lil different just rollin a floor jack under and hitting something capable of being supported without tweeking something.Plus the HHr/SS has less space to get a floor jack under too.

Partly asking this cuz i plan to rotate the tires myself and do a good cleaning/waxing etc on the wheels prior to wintertime driving in my neck of the woods.(and if i feel i need to get the SS up in the air a lil to do a oil change) i know most of us here have done them w/ no problem with the car on the ground, but between my tired ol spinal fused back and my ummm, size (6'1" -275'ish) that might not work in my case(might be checking on ramps that'll work also,if i don't go a jack/stand route for a oil change)

So the question is: are there decent places to jack up a HHR other than maybe the front/rear suspension spots?
I'm one of those that rather ask here than find out myself on my own instead.
As stated there our Arrows on the side of the Car, atleast on the non SS models. Also be aware if u plan on rotated tires, you have be able to reset the tire pressure system. I haven't figure it out yet.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by VictorySpark08
As stated there our Arrows on the side of the Car, atleast on the non SS models. Also be aware if u plan on rotated tires, you have be able to reset the tire pressure system. I haven't figure it out yet.
This reset proceedure is on page 5-65 of my 2008 owners manual....

Cajun

Quick Reply: Floor jack placement