Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

High Profile Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 04:19 PM

High Profile Tires

Has any one switched to a high profile tire and does any one know how large you can go with them?

I have found that one of the only things I dislike about my HHR is the Low profile tires. The ride is not as cusioned as my Saturn Vue with the High profiles. Don't get me wrong, I love the look, but is there something in between.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:43 PM

in case you care...

doing this while keeping the same wheel size will dramatically throw off the speedometer reading and at the same time effect the overall gearing of the engine causing slower acceleration.

that is though, if you care about those things.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:51 PM

I know about the speedometer change, but I was wondering about a slight modification. I believe Mike at SoCal did something of this nature. I know people are getting larger low profile. There is always a give and take when changing tire sizes.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Holmes Hot Ride
I know people are getting larger low profile. There is always a give and take when changing tire sizes.
That's plus sizing, it doesn't change the outside diameter of the tire. With plus sizing you just loose sidewall so you're not really changing anything. If you go larger in addition to your speedometer/odometer being off and the loss in acceleration I think it will screw up your ABS and traction control if I'm not mistaken. Also remember if you go larger you are going to loose clearance in your wheel wells making your tires more likely to rub your fenders. Going to a larger diameter tire is generally avoided.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:21 PM

Capt,How can I add more space between the inside of the tire and the outside to get more of an air cusion? Is there an alternative that you know of? Thanks!
Old 07-24-2006, 06:45 PM
Banned

The only people I know that have went to a larger tire are some Jeep and Truck owners. They had to change a gear in their transmission and raise the truck. I saw an old Grand National the other day that had 24" rims on it. They raised the car to fit them so maybe the only way is to raise the vehicle? I'm sure you're not talking about going that extreme though.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:56 PM

Thanks! Yes, I am just talking about an inch to two inches at the most. In the old days we used to just add spacers to the springs and lock them in. I forgot how, but that might be an option.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:22 PM

In the old days we used to just add spacers to the springs and lock them in. I forgot how, but that might be an option.
This isn't really helpful to what you're trying to do now, just a comment I couldn't resist making, but I remember putting those in between the springs in my '56 chevy when I was in high school. My dad thought I was crazy. It made for a much stiffer ride, but it was cool. Where I was it was cool to put them in only the front springs, or some guys put them only in the back, to create what they called a "rake" I think. It was blocks of metal which were curved at the top and bottom for the spring coils to rest in and it took a lot of prying apart of the coils and pounding of the blocks to get them in, and the ride was bouncy but, hey it was cool!
Old 07-24-2006, 07:46 PM

I know about the speedometer change, but I was wondering about a slight modification. I believe Mike at SoCal did something of this nature. I know people are getting larger low profile. There is always a give and take when changing tire sizes.
Hi Holmes, I went from a 215/55R16 to a 225/50R17, changing my overall diameter from 25.3 to 25.9. My speedo is now 5mph low at 60mph and 7.5mph lower at 90mph. It also lowered my cruising rpms considerably (and you know I like to drive a little fast if possible). Having owned several 4WD vehicles prior, I can deal with the speedo issue, no sweat.

My car has the Gold-Lines, and required getting the fenders rolled to provide clearance for these extra large meats. (BTW: it's actually called "Plus One" sizing CH, as you are increasing the outer tire diameter.)

Of course my scenario is only adding 1/2-inch more to the tire OD. For what you want to accomplish, I would recommend looking into a set of 15" wheels (you might have to buy blanks in the proper offset and have them drilled to the HHR's pattern). This will allow you to go to a 60 series tire and get that cushiony sidewall you are wanting.

FWIW, the stock 16-inch Affinity tires I had offered the smoothest ride (smoother than my wife's new '06 Accord!), and with a nice 16 wheel you could get a great ride and still have an accurate speedo readout.

Hope it helps,
Old 07-24-2006, 07:57 PM

If you can find them, pick up a set of 15" rims that will accept Baby Moons. Slap on a set of trim rings and wide white walls and you're back to your youth with a set of 60 series tires.

Quick Reply: High Profile Tires