Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 04:26 PM

Spare tire

I rotated my tires yesterday & used the spare and noticed it's a 15" spare. I was wondering if anyone else has the same size. It just doesn't make sense to me to have a 15" spare for a 17" wheel. I even dug up the spare from my Camaro & it's the same size as the stock wheels that came on it. I sure wouldn't want to drive even 1 mile with that thing and the car leaning the way it does with it on.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Premium Member

This is from the owners manual. They are only used for emergencies until you can put the full size tire back on. At speeds up to 50mph and 3000 miles, although you shouldn't drive on the small spare any farther then needed.

John
Old 12-24-2006, 07:25 PM

does that really make sense.... since ppl have reported problems finding the tires that match the stock ones?
Old 12-24-2006, 07:34 PM

The modern spare is designed to get you to a safe repair shop. Smaller set-up reduces weight, saves space, and generally discourages you from driving around on it for any real length of time.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:17 PM

As it is I don't use the one for the Camaro. I gutted all that out so if I get a flat i'll have to have it towed or bring anouther to the car as the lugnuts for the wheels that are on it won't fit the spare. As for the HHR after seeing the spare on the car i'll have it towed before I move it w/ that spare.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:34 PM

You've got to be kidding....

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
The modern spare is designed to get you to a safe repair shop. Smaller set-up reduces weight, saves space, and generally discourages you from driving around on it for any real length of time.

B/B, I have to admit, I never thought I'd bet turning to my automobile manufacturer for my personal behaviour modification. Who woulda thunk.

These barely more than useless spare tires leave me longing for the good old days when your spare was the same size as the rest of your tires. I have yet to hear an accepteable explanation as to the customer benefits of the newer/modern ridiculously small spare tire.

How many interstates have a speed limit of 50mph? I’ve driven across the the country a couple of times and haven’t found one. What that means is that you’re forced to drive at a dangerously lower speed than the posted speed limit. How is risking my and my loved ones lives a reasonalbe benefit over a little space and/or weight?

Help me understand.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:42 PM

In recent days, I`ve read reports of people stranded, leaving their family to get help, may have the same type mentality.
"I`m not gonna use that little/ugly tire, I`d sooner walk first, Honey I`ll be back with a real tire..."
If you don`t think you can drive at a lower than posted speed, long enough and far enough to get mech. help., just give up driving...
Old 12-26-2006, 06:53 PM

Thanks for your thoughtful consideration BB. I don't know why I didn't think of that.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:29 PM

Just trying to help...
Old 12-26-2006, 08:35 PM

Remember also that speed limits are just posted top legal speed. There is a law mandating a minimum of 45 MPH on the federal interstate hiways. Some states still post it under the main sign though it's not required.

Quick Reply: Spare tire