2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Any body used this yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 10:49 AM

Any body used this yet?

Has anybody used this on their car? It sounds like a decent price for an extra 30WHP
I think this may be one of my next high performance mods.

Lowers air temperatures by up to 60 degrees!
We saw an increase of 31 horsepower on a 270 wheel horsepower Neon SRT-4 on the dyno with this kit!
You're NOT running nitrous into the motor, only onto the intercooler!
Straightforward installation!
If you have a turbocharged car, an easy way to increase your cars performance is to lower the incoming air temperature to the motor.
The purpose of your car's intercooler is to reduce the incoming air temperatures. However, when you're driving aggresively, or if it is hot outside, the incoming air temperature will begin to rise.
That's where the Nitrous Express N-Tercooler System can help. This kit takes compressed Nitrous and sprays it directly onto the intercooler. Because the nitrous is typically 0-30 degrees Fahrenheit, it can build up cakes of ice on the intercooler, which substantially lowers the incoming air temps.
This kit uses the newest design of bottle valve called the Lightning 45. This valve quickly and easily opens, allowing fast opening of the bottle.
The N-Tercooler System now uses a remote mount electronic control solenoid (unlike the older version that mounted the solenoid onto the spray bar which was visible from the outside of the car). This new version looks much cleaner.
This kit is very simple. It has a bottle, a line that runs under the car to the solenoid in the front, a simple on/off switch to arm the system, and a push button to spray the nitrous onto the intercooler. This kit is offered with a 10 lb or a 15 lb bottle. The only advantage to using the 15 lb bottle is more storage. Choose which bottle size you want in the pull down menu before purchasing
https://www.modernperformance.com/pr...m/hhrss_engine
Old 06-08-2015, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Looks like a straight forward install !
As for the extra ponies, it's trial and error.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:48 PM

Maybe I missed something. When using Nitrous which is an oxidizer, it helps in the burning process, you have to add more fuel or else your going to have a lean burn condition and do damage to the engine (a.k.a melt pistons).
Also spark timing has to be adjusted for Nitrous.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:07 PM

ummm... yup .... says it all right in the post
..."You're NOT running nitrous into the motor, only onto the intercooler! "...
..."If you have a turbocharged car, an easy way to increase your cars performance is to lower the incoming air temperature to the motor.
The purpose of your car's intercooler is to reduce the incoming air temperatures. However, when you're driving aggresively, or if it is hot outside, the incoming air temperature will begin to rise.
That's where the Nitrous Express N-Tercooler System can help.This kit takes compressed Nitrous and sprays it directly onto(not into) the intercooler. Because the nitrous is typically 0-30 degrees Fahrenheit, it can build up cakes of ice on the intercooler, which substantially lowers the incoming air temps.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:43 PM
RF2

Why not use liquid co2. Its a lot cheeper. You can get it at any welding supply.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by RF2
Why not use liquid co2. Its a lot cheeper. You can get it at any welding supply.
is co2 just as cold as the nitrous? and could you set it up the same way?
you got my attention, can you fill up the nitrous bottle with co2?
I know nitrous is about $90 bucks to fill a 10lb bottle, what the cost for co2?
Old 06-08-2015, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Per my RPD meter, my intake temps are generally no more than 5 degrees higher than the ambient outside temp.
Not seeing that this system would make that much difference on the HHR SS as far as cooling it enough for a HP gain. If dropping the temperature makes that much difference, then I ought to have about 30 more hp in the dead of winter. Don't think so.(again per my RPD torque/hp readings.)

Now if the intake temps were way up there, then maybe this system would help. The GM intercooler design seems to work pretty good on it's own. This system may work for other turbo cars with intake cooling issues. Just don't think it would do much for daily driver SS.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Per my RPD meter, my intake temps are generally no more than 5 degrees higher than the ambient outside temp.
Not seeing that this system would make that much difference on the HHR SS as far as cooling it enough for a HP gain. If dropping the temperature makes that much difference, then I ought to have about 30 more hp in the dead of winter. Don't think so.(again per my RPD torque/hp readings.)

Now if the intake temps were way up there, then maybe this system would help. The GM intercooler design seems to work pretty good on it's own. This system may work for other turbo cars with intake cooling issues. Just don't think it would do much for daily driver SS.

That is why I'm asking for peoples opinion, What you say and what they claim is very suspect/.
I was hoping that some one has done this before? Now I have seen at the dragstrip were they have added ice cubes somehow to cool down the intercooler why? does it really make a difference? I see your point Firemangeorge too!
Old 06-08-2015, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

Years ago.....in the "muscle car" era I quarter miled a 427 Chevy. One of the tricks we used then was ice application to the fuel lines....even migrated to the use of dry ice because it lasted longer and was colder (wrapped the fuel lines in ice wrapped in rags....primitive but somewhat effective). Had some positive effect but I can't tell you how much....I just do not remember.

Now I understand you are speaking of "cooling" the air flow, but again if IIRC, it had some effect to the fuel as well.

But let me offer for discussion.......George mentions he recognizes a 5 degree difference between the ambient and the intake air. What if the ambient is 95, and you are able to chill the air to 65. Isn't that only a 3 hp gain???? My way of thinking, if you use the equipment providers web information.....a 30 hp gain would necessitate an intake air temp drop of 300 degrees (1 hp for every 10 degrees). Do I have that correct???

You may wish to read this. Pay particular attention to the last couple of paragraphs, which essentially sums up the equation.

http://www.buildingspeed.org/blog/20...nd-horsepower/
Old 06-09-2015, 08:05 AM

I agree with some of the questions above, but have another thought with regard to the comparison of having 30hp in the dead of winter.

I know mine DOES feel better in winter, especially on the low end, but I don't know if it's 30hp worth...

This kit is not designed for continuous usage. Your engine parameters are going to be based around the ambient air temps while you're driving around. With this kit, I CAN see getting a substantial "butt-dyno" increase in power short term (one or two acceleration runs), but if you continued to use it, wouldn't the "learn-down" counter-act it?

Quick Reply: Any body used this yet?