2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Anyone heard about "Issues" with Stg 1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:15 PM

Anyone heard about "Issues" with Stg 1?

I can get a Stage 1 kit tomorrow if I want from a non-GM supplier, but my local GM Performance certified dealer says that the reason for the factory backorder is that they are having "issues" with the 1st release. They advised me to wait until the July 6th release. They also said that GM is being tight lipped about the "issues".

This dealer is known locally for their performance-oriented service dept and will do the install without hesitation at a fixed price (obviously they know what they are doing, otherwise they wouldn't put a cap on the labor).

Has anyone heard of this? Do you think that this dealer is being fed a line or are they feeding the line to me?

I don't care either way, but I just don't want to order the kit today and find that I should have waited until July 6th.

Any experiences or insight would be welcome.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Founding Member

I think someone is feeding BS to you. We have installed on 2008's and a 2009 with no issues on any of them.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 PM

I'm still issue-free on my '08. Plenty of others on here are as well.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:23 PM

There have been some very small issues like the instructions on the first release were wrong on the wiring for the HHR. Nothing more.

There also have some tech notes offered by GMPD to dealers like clearance on the AC compressor and other small teething problems that are not on all vehicles and are quite rare. There is some variance in these vehicles and sometimes things just need a little adjustment.

Mine had two small issues both were indirectly related to the accident I had last fall. They were related to my intercooler needed to be adjusted forward for clearance and not related to anything wrong with the kit.

Also here we did have a few intercooler tubes blow off that were lose but that has happened on stock SS too. We just recomend anyone taking their SS for the install to tell the dealer to check and tighten the tubes. The Pick up diesels also do this too per my tech.

So yes there were some small issues but none have held up the kits. The 3rd release is soon per a post elsewhere on this site. The only hold up for the 2nd release was they were getting it certified and cleared to sell for the 09 models too.

As of yet we have not seen any blown engines, transmissions or any other major problem due to this kit. In fact most of the issues we have seen here were install related issues not kit issues.

So if you want one get it and have it installed.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:33 PM

"No Fear" Giterdone!!"
Old 05-20-2009, 10:37 PM

The only issue I had was getting the kit. Took over a month b/o before getting in April. I was the first install for my dealer, and they charged me the book rate ,regardless of how long it took with no haggle, $125. I took the list of all the code remedies, A/C clearence and loose plumbing connections and they installed in 3hrs. 2 weeks so far with no problems.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:58 AM

No problems, 4-6 months after install
Old 05-21-2009, 11:36 AM

Thanks for all of the help.

This is how it went today. The dealer that was listed on the "GM Performance Parts" site was the one who said that the kit had "issues" and I should wait until July 6th and have them install it. The "service advisor" said this over the phone. This dealer is more >20mi from my house (which is something I also take into account re accessability).

I called all of the GM Performance Parts dealers in my area and all said that the kit was on backorder, but have not heard of any "issues" other than the backorder itself.

I then called Steve at Crate Engine and he actually has some in stock. I asked him about the backorder and he stated something to the effect that it's a "GM thing".

I then went to my local dealer in town (one that I bought cars from) who is <3mi from my house to see if they would install a St 1 kit if I provided the parts. They stated that as long as it is a genuine GM St 1 kit, they would have no problem installing it. They also stated that they have done them on HHRs already and quoted me that the install would be 2 hrs labor or less.

Although it's about $50 more than the GM Perf Parts dealer, I assumed the "bird in hand" cliche' and promptly ordered the kit from Crate Engine.

I'm not one to worry about bargaining for the cheapest price, but do not like to get ripped off either. I feel that a couple of extra bucks spent wisely is a good insurance policy. Again, thanks for the help and sharing your experiences.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:01 PM

Issue free here too. My only complaint is I haven't taken it on the track yet, but that's all my fault :)
Old 05-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Banned

No issues on mine since January

Quick Reply: Anyone heard about "Issues" with Stg 1?