2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Bolt on turbo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 03:51 PM

Bolt on turbo upgrade

A little birdie told me a true bolt on turbo upgrade is coming soon (finally something besides the overpriced K04+). They are shooting for 375-400whp on the Cobalt SS/TC & HHR SS with a tune, with a cost between $1k-1.4k (price hasn't been set yet). The prototype tester has had it on since Monday and so far so good. Logs, Dyno results, etc. coming soon. So if you were thinking of buying a K04+ or a turbo kit and wanted 375-400whp, my advice would be to wait. I was going to order a turbo kit at the end of this week but now I'm waiting, 400whp is exactly where I want to be at
Old 06-02-2010, 03:55 PM

i thought ZZP had accomplished this already
Old 06-02-2010, 04:48 PM

What type of turbo? Twin scroll still???
Old 06-02-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by mrsilent13
i thought ZZP had accomplished this already
The only true bolt on turbo out is a turbo compressor wheel upgrade known as the K04+ for your factory turbo. All those other vendors your talking about sell kits (turbos, adapters, lines, etc.) to make turbochargers work on our engines. I don't know about you but I prefer just unbolting and bolting on a turbo to piecing stuff together to make a turbo work.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:20 PM

I was trying to remember who it was that did that K04+ upgrade? (and yes, when I saw their asking price a few months back, it's definitely 'up there' )

Later
Allex
Old 06-02-2010, 05:47 PM

hahn put a super 20g on a cobalt(same motor) and it was a little over 400hp. so this would not be the first. the s20g is around the same price too,well what i heard anyways. however,if it's on a hhr ss already,then that's a new ball game!! now,does this new turbo work with our intake??? since no one has a simple cai that doesn't require tuning. external wg or internal?? price sounds nice for the power. keep us informed!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:19 PM

Tag
Old 06-02-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by mightymouse
hahn put a super 20g on a cobalt(same motor) and it was a little over 400hp. so this would not be the first. the s20g is around the same price too,well what i heard anyways. however,if it's on a hhr ss already,then that's a new ball game!! now,does this new turbo work with our intake??? since no one has a simple cai that doesn't require tuning. external wg or internal?? price sounds nice for the power. keep us informed!!!
I emailed Hahn last week about the S20g, is not available for purchase and they don't know when they will be

Well all of Dejon's DSM turbocharger kits work with the factory air box, didn't know if you knew that. I asked him myself when I was debating on going with the FP68HTA kit.

As far as this new bolt on turbo I'm told true bolt on to all pre-existing factory components.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:47 PM

Here's a few lines from the cobalt ss/tc guy currently with it on his car.

Originally Posted by nelson
I'll have this all up for you guys really soon I've been working with a new turbo company for the LNF on a similar set up to this. As soon as I'm done with all of the preliminary testing, I'll have a thread up with all of the information. As of now I've been on the dyno to receive base line numbers for the stock turbo with bolt-ons, I installed the turbo this past Saturday (5-30-10), and I'll be getting tuned for it this week (granted everything goes to plan) by Vince and dyno for results the end of this week or the following week (few variables in that). So far, so good on this turbo; I haven't had any problems at all
Stay tuned!

And his reply after I asked If he knew Mallard (the guy I was talking with about his new turbo upgrade):

Originally posted by nelson
I am the guy that is working with Mallard I just got a user name on solstice and it wouldn't let me post up yet because I needed to wait for approval. But once I found this thread I figured I'd jump in. I'm working on getting the total results for this turbo to him as well as the entire LNF community asap. I'll keep everyone posted, and as stated before, I'll make a thread with all of the findings. But if I were you, I'd wait for this gem!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:37 PM

good find hhrsouth...staying glued to this thread!!!

Quick Reply: Bolt on turbo upgrade