2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Crazy Steve Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:37 AM

Crazy Steve Intercooler

Guys and Gals,

It is mod time again. I have bought the Depo lights and a CO2 fogger, I for some reason cannot find the link for the Crazy Steve IC. I wanted to keep with HAHN bolt-ons, but I could buy 2 CS IC's for the price of one of HAHN's... No brainer there.

Anything else I should add up front since I gotta remove the bumper?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
Guys and Gals,

It is mod time again. I have bought the Depo lights and a CO2 fogger, I for some reason cannot find the link for the Crazy Steve IC. I wanted to keep with HAHN bolt-ons, but I could buy 2 CS IC's for the price of one of HAHN's... No brainer there.

Anything else I should add up front since I gotta remove the bumper?
http://www.genuinesaab.com
Old 07-06-2011, 10:45 AM

Just be sure you know that you will have to modify the CSI, some more then others.

I had to bend the tabs to make it fit correctly, but to me thats not a big problem.

But even with that its worth the money you save for a little bit of modifying.

I've been running my since i had the stock K04 on.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:23 AM

What are the HP gains from just the intercooler with a GMS1?
Old 07-06-2011, 12:42 PM

Its more of a consistent power thing, not a power booster, it just enables more surface area for cooling ability. This is mostly benificiall at the track, think hot runs. if you let the car cool down in between runs it will run somewhat consistent, with the stock IC. If you run back-to-back you will notice a somewhat severe drop in HP due to less dense and hotter air passing through the motor. A bigger IC deletes some of this, especially once you start moving more air accross it, although there is much debate about our stock IC's being just fine within the 28-30lb limits of our turbo's, cuz it's not how much pressure your pushing, if the impeller can't turn any faster.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:28 PM

Gotcha, thanks!
Old 07-06-2011, 07:22 PM

Did some... alot more digging around.

CSI- BIG, big, did I say big, I meant overkill. Almost half the unit rest behind the bumper. A little turned off by having to mod a new part(military SOP comes to mind)..... old SAAB part mounted to HHR, works... sell it. Talliferro had parts for the SS before anyone else... BSR PPC comes to mind. European hand me down so to speak

Modern Performance, Werks, ZZP, and HAHN all appear to have similar dimensions, HP ratings, and priced accordingly except HAHN who is at the pricey side. Also noted Werks has what appears to be two cores with a bead weld down the middle. I assume it is to keep the IC from a catastrophic rupture. They are also the only company showing a pressure limit (45lbs).

None of the companies show a CFM for cooling ability, or "soak" rate for dissapation. all have claims within 5-10 HP from cold start.

Anyone have experience with MP or Werks? From the look of the build and price point I may have a go with Werks. Oh and MP makes a race version that makes CSI look small!
Old 07-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

I have one (CSI). I didn't modify any thing, and it made a large difference. When I order up 27lbs from Vince, I will not wonder if the plastic is going to hold it. The part behind the bumper still cools even though it's not directly in the air flow,aluminum moves hot or cold at 45,312 btu/hr/sqft.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:47 PM

Thanks Fan.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
Also noted Werks has what appears to be two cores with a bead weld down the middle. I assume it is to keep the IC from a catastrophic rupture. They are also the only company showing a pressure limit (45lbs).

None of the companies show a CFM for cooling ability, or "soak" rate for dissapation. all have claims within 5-10 HP from cold start.

Anyone have experience with MP or Werks? From the look of the build and price point I may have a go with Werks. Oh and MP makes a race version that makes CSI look small!
i have the Werks Street IC...... it's not 2 cores welded together. they only did ONE like that for testing (the were out of stock so they put 2 smaller cores together). it's one single core. i've noticed IAT2's roughly 5* above ambient after some highway pulls so it works really well. they have 2 different ICs, i'd highly recommend the Street. the Race IC is absolutely massive and should only be used with full out builds with giant turbos.

Quick Reply: Crazy Steve Intercooler