2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Dry Ice

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:18 AM

Dry Ice

so has anybody thought about putting Dry ice in the air box to help cool the air. I mean that box is there might take advantage of it. I was thinking about doing a couple runs with out it and the insert the dry ice and see how it change the 1/4 mile times. I know the inlet air temperature here in San Antonio, tx was like 110 on it when I was at the staging lite.

so if somebody has attempted it let me know. it will save me some time. I did a search but couldn't come up with it.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:46 AM

I am wondering if it would drop the oxygen content of the air in the box and defeat the purpose of cooling the air.

" Because it sublimates into large quantities of carbon dioxide gas, which could displace oxygen-containing air and pose a danger of asphyxiation, dry ice should only be exposed to open air in a well-ventilated environment."
Old 08-27-2009, 10:37 AM

If you want to cool the intake more they make CO2 sprayers for the intercooler. It will spray them and cool the intercooler then also rapid cool the air temp into the engine.

Design Engineering offer several kits. Check out part# DEI-080130 there is a picture of what it looks like. Edelbrock and several other companies are now offering similar kits.

Design also offers a water sprayer too. DEI-080140 Not sure they would like to see this one at the drag strip.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:59 PM

I'd rather try the CO2 system than dry ice... or even a nitrous setup to cool down the intercooler.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by asanti
I'd rather try the CO2 system than dry ice... or even a nitrous setup to cool down the intercooler.
good point forgot about the cryo system

thanks guys.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:13 AM

They make a methonal injection system for the intercooler, and I suppose you could inject into the air-box, BUT, and this is a BIG BUT...... Unless you are bypassing the "learn-down" from the CPU with a "tune" it won't matter how condensed or cold the air is going past the MAF, the CPU will retard the HP output. In colder temps, the Turbo will not give you all its capable of, only what is programed into the CPU as the upper HP limit...... ie- in colder temps you may only get 10-12 lbs of boost, instead of 14-15 lbs in warmer climate. This past winter I was really looking foward to that little extra pull from more condensed air, didn't happen!. Also be carefull, about trying to inject CO2 directly into the air-box, CO2 is not a burnable gas, it may cause your O2 sensors to trip CEL's and would rob the combustion chamber of the proper mix of fuel/air. Check with a couple of guys on the forum who have alreday hooked up a meth-injction system to their intercoolers. Also look at HANN for a Intercooler upgrade which will help with cooling your charged air.

If I had to come up with something inovative, I would consider buying one of these cheap dorm fridges from wallmart, then take the thing apart and find a way of getting the condensors mounted onto the front side of the intercooler, I would also consider a electric radiator fan mounted to the IC.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-28-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
They make a methonal injection system for the intercooler, and I suppose you could inject into the air-box, BUT, and this is a BIG BUT...... Unless you are bypassing the "learn-down" from the CPU with a "tune" it won't matter how condensed or cold the air is going past the MAF, the CPU will retard the HP output. In colder temps, the Turbo will not give you all its capable of, only what is programed into the CPU as the upper HP limit...... ie- in colder temps you may only get 10-12 lbs of boost, instead of 14-15 lbs in warmer climate. This past winter I was really looking foward to that little extra pull from more condensed air, didn't happen!. Also be carefull, about trying to inject CO2 directly into the air-box, CO2 is not a burnable gas, it may cause your O2 sensors to trip CEL's and would rob the combustion chamber of the proper mix of fuel/air. Check with a couple of guys on the forum who have alreday hooked up a meth-injction system to their intercoolers. Also look at HANN for a Intercooler upgrade which will help with cooling your charged air.

If I had to come up with something inovative, I would consider buying one of these cheap dorm fridges from wallmart, then take the thing apart and find a way of getting the condensors mounted onto the front side of the intercooler, I would also consider a electric radiator fan mounted to the IC.

Any thoughts?

IMHO it's cheaper and more realiable to get either a Nitrous or CO2 system to spray the intercooler + cool it + the intake air temps down. Keep in mind, 1) refigerator condensers may short if exposed to water + are not well-insulated 2) the rad fan will take up some of the airspace the intercooler would need to cool the intake air, so even though it's "pushing" air through the intercooler, it's defeating the purpose AND you're tooling around w/ extra weight over the front end of the car; not cool... just my .02.

Later
Allex
Old 08-28-2009, 05:21 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
If I had to come up with something inovative, I would consider buying one of these cheap dorm fridges from wallmart, then take the thing apart and find a way of getting the condensors mounted onto the front side of the intercooler
Don't forget your long extension cord.