Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.0L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-0l-performance-tech-46/)
-   -   Engine Power reduced light? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-0l-performance-tech-46/engine-power-reduced-light-17969/)

rocco11189 09-01-2008 09:04 PM

Engine Power reduced light?

I just received this light on my hhr ss today and would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this problem and know what it might be? I haven't done any mods to my hhr ss and haven't been beating on the car at all if someone can help me out and share some information that would be great.

rommer 09-01-2008 09:20 PM

That's what happens when you use 87 octane fuel in the SS!!!!

:lol:

(Sorry, could not resist)

Kennys2009HHR 09-01-2008 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by rommer (Post 307954)

Hey, you never know you could be right :confused:

CarlsSS 09-01-2008 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by rocco11189 (Post 307941)
I just received this light on my hhr ss today and would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this problem and know what it might be? I haven't done any mods to my hhr ss and haven't been beating on the car at all if someone can help me out and share some information that would be great.

Yes, I actually had that happen a couple months ago. It came on after I had a Check Engine Light come on also. After a few sucessfull starts of the engine it went away and I took it into the dealer. I printed up this post and gave it to them, as I suspected this was the problem... and it was. The just needed to put the latest program in the ECM and it was good to go. Good luck! :thumb:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...light=Chevymgr

ivtech 09-01-2008 10:33 PM

I had the same CEL thn "Reduced Power". The dealer did the reprograma from the above link also.

robotworkshop 10-23-2008 10:24 AM

I just got this message on mine the last two mornings. The odd part is that even though it said the engine power was reduced the turbo seemed to be more responsive that it usually is.

I'm not too impressed by the OnStar diagnostics. I called them right after it started with the 'reduced power' to see if they could read any stored codes. They said it was clean. I thought that was really odd since I hadn't turned off the engine and the computer knew there was some sort of issue otherwise why would it post that message on the display???

Does anyone know what triggers that message and why the computer would say reduced power? If the computer determined there was an issue why wasn't it stored so that OnStar could at least see there was a code generated?

I'm going to keep an eye on it but if this continues the HHR will be going to the dealer for a checkup.

No mods have been done to this and it is bone stock. Been running 93 octane so the fuel should be ok.

Any thoughts?

ChevyMgr 10-23-2008 11:00 AM

BCM triggers the message when the ECM receives an input from a sensor warning that something is out of its predetermined parameter.

robotworkshop 10-23-2008 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr (Post 322061)
BCM triggers the message when the ECM receives an input from a sensor warning that something is out of its predetermined parameter.

That's fine but it would be really nice to know exactly WHICH sensor was causing the issue. It should have thrown a code and stored it. I guess I'll have to watch it and take it in if this persists.

ChevyMgr 10-23-2008 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by robotworkshop (Post 322082)
That's fine but it would be really nice to know exactly WHICH sensor was causing the issue. It should have thrown a code and stored it. I guess I'll have to watch it and take it in if this persists.

That can only be known by scanning the ECM for set codes. Hundreds of codes to choose from, so an internet guess would be futile.

robotworkshop 10-23-2008 01:37 PM

That is one of the things that bothers me a bit. Right after it happened I called OnStar and they didn't show any codes. Does that mean they can only read codes that are stored in the BCM and that only the scanning tool at the dealer can pull up stored codes on the ECM?

Although my HHR SS is great fun to drive I have felt that it hasn't been performing as well as it should. Once in a while if I catch it just right it pulls really strong but other times it just doesn't seem to be that much more peppy than a regular car. With this message it is leading me to believe that I have a bad sensor on it or some other issue that is limiting the performance.

According to the boost/vacuum gauge the vacuum is excellent and the boost is working but rarely peaks like I have read about and is often lackluster about kicking in when I expect it should.

I want to make sure that this gets corrected before even thinking about any kind of upgrade. I'd really like to get the GM one since it will be more than enough for me. This is my daily driver so I don't get into it much but the extra HP is nice and has saved me a couple times trying to merge into traffic getting onto the expressway.

ivtech 10-23-2008 05:52 PM

When mine came on OnStar told me it was an ignition problem and that it could stall and not be able to restart.

robotworkshop 10-29-2008 02:48 PM

Well, the engine power reduced message has shown up a few more times. Twice yesterday and once again this morning. In all cases the check engine light never comes on and there aren't any codes stored (at least according to OnStar and their remote diagnostic). Today the operator at OnStar suggested that it might be a bad crank sensor but I don't buy that answer. It seems to be getting a little worst which will hopefully make it easier to fix.

I'm just a bit bothered that it didn't store any codes. Why on earth wouldn't it keep at least one if it thought there was enough of a problem to 'reduce engine power'.

Any suggestions?

ChevyMgr 10-29-2008 03:28 PM

Suggestion: Take it to a dealer. If the engine went to reduced power, data was stored, it doesn't matter if the CEL came on or not.

robotworkshop 10-29-2008 09:00 PM

I have taken it in to the dealer once about this but they didn't find any stored codes and couldn't find a problem. They kept it for a couple nights and pressure tested the pipes for leaks. No issues found. Now that it is happening again I just hope it will store a code so it can be fixed.

The last two times I didn't shut off the car and tried calling OnStar to see if their remote diagnostic could pull up the code. Nothing. They said if there was one in there they would have seen it. At the moment I'm not seeing any value by OnStar.

I guess the next time it happens I'll have to call the dealer and drive it right there without shutting it off. This is a great machine and I just want to ensure it keeps running right.

LT1GMC 11-07-2008 06:39 AM

Onstar is not a technician online, their recalling of codes is for convienence, to help you if they can until you can get to a dealer. Their ability to scan your car is limited, as well as their operator is NOT a trained mechanic/technician, AND they don't actually get to see, listen, and touch the car. Kinda like calling into the doctors office when you are sick and the expecting the secretary to diagnose you over the phone. They can offer you suggestions, but the fact is its like asking your salesman, yeah he works for the dealer, but its not his field of expertise.

Now for the distressing part: Might be hard for the dealer to find it either, my HHRSS has a silly problem of revving up between shifts, (like my foot was on the pedal) and the dealer can't figure that out. But the dealer tech can go alot farther into the computer than Onstar can, and he could upload the lastest program into your car incase there is a bug in yours. Could be a faulty PCM too.

C6HHR 03-09-2010 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr (Post 323540)
Suggestion: Take it to a dealer. If the engine went to reduced power, data was stored, it doesn't matter if the CEL came on or not.

I took mine to the dealer but they have not been helpful. They claim that there is no data about it having happened. So they charged me $125 for the diagnostics and then told I would have to leave the car with them for a few days so they could drive it around until they get it to happen again.

I drove it home and had it give out just as I got into the driveway. I'm going to try reseting the fuses, but I'm going to try a different dealer and bring them the info you provided so they can reflash my ECM.

Thanks for the info.

AndyHHR 08-05-2014 09:52 AM

Eng pwr reduced

Originally Posted by rommer (Post 307954)

Hi guys... So you said it just because he used the 87 Octane? What can I do to avoid it?
Thnx

firemangeorge 08-05-2014 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by AndyHHR (Post 754916)
Hi guys... So you said it just because he used the 87 Octane? What can I do to avoid it?
Thnx

Welcome to the site. :thumb:

Andy. You do realize this is the 2.0 forum ? This thread is about someone having issues with a SS 2.0l turbo engine.
Your profile shows you have a regular HHR, so this thread is not going to be helpful if you're having a problem with your's.

Your quote: "Hi guys... So you said it just because he used the 87 Octane? What can I do to avoid it?
Thnx"
Without knowing which engine you have, I can't comment about octane issues.

whopper 08-05-2014 10:47 AM

Or he could just refer to his Owners Manual which contains pertinent information of the grades of fuel to use.