2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Engine Power reduced light?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 05:52 PM

When mine came on OnStar told me it was an ignition problem and that it could stall and not be able to restart.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:48 PM

Well, the engine power reduced message has shown up a few more times. Twice yesterday and once again this morning. In all cases the check engine light never comes on and there aren't any codes stored (at least according to OnStar and their remote diagnostic). Today the operator at OnStar suggested that it might be a bad crank sensor but I don't buy that answer. It seems to be getting a little worst which will hopefully make it easier to fix.

I'm just a bit bothered that it didn't store any codes. Why on earth wouldn't it keep at least one if it thought there was enough of a problem to 'reduce engine power'.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Founding Member

Suggestion: Take it to a dealer. If the engine went to reduced power, data was stored, it doesn't matter if the CEL came on or not.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:00 PM

I have taken it in to the dealer once about this but they didn't find any stored codes and couldn't find a problem. They kept it for a couple nights and pressure tested the pipes for leaks. No issues found. Now that it is happening again I just hope it will store a code so it can be fixed.

The last two times I didn't shut off the car and tried calling OnStar to see if their remote diagnostic could pull up the code. Nothing. They said if there was one in there they would have seen it. At the moment I'm not seeing any value by OnStar.

I guess the next time it happens I'll have to call the dealer and drive it right there without shutting it off. This is a great machine and I just want to ensure it keeps running right.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:39 AM

Onstar is not a technician online, their recalling of codes is for convienence, to help you if they can until you can get to a dealer. Their ability to scan your car is limited, as well as their operator is NOT a trained mechanic/technician, AND they don't actually get to see, listen, and touch the car. Kinda like calling into the doctors office when you are sick and the expecting the secretary to diagnose you over the phone. They can offer you suggestions, but the fact is its like asking your salesman, yeah he works for the dealer, but its not his field of expertise.

Now for the distressing part: Might be hard for the dealer to find it either, my HHRSS has a silly problem of revving up between shifts, (like my foot was on the pedal) and the dealer can't figure that out. But the dealer tech can go alot farther into the computer than Onstar can, and he could upload the lastest program into your car incase there is a bug in yours. Could be a faulty PCM too.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Suggestion: Take it to a dealer. If the engine went to reduced power, data was stored, it doesn't matter if the CEL came on or not.
I took mine to the dealer but they have not been helpful. They claim that there is no data about it having happened. So they charged me $125 for the diagnostics and then told I would have to leave the car with them for a few days so they could drive it around until they get it to happen again.

I drove it home and had it give out just as I got into the driveway. I'm going to try reseting the fuses, but I'm going to try a different dealer and bring them the info you provided so they can reflash my ECM.

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:52 AM

Eng pwr reduced

Originally Posted by rommer
That's what happens when you use 87 octane fuel in the SS!!!!

(Sorry, could not resist)
Hi guys... So you said it just because he used the 87 Octane? What can I do to avoid it?
Thnx
Old 08-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by AndyHHR
Hi guys... So you said it just because he used the 87 Octane? What can I do to avoid it?
Thnx
Welcome to the site.

Andy. You do realize this is the 2.0 forum ? This thread is about someone having issues with a SS 2.0l turbo engine.
Your profile shows you have a regular HHR, so this thread is not going to be helpful if you're having a problem with your's.

Your quote: "Hi guys... So you said it just because he used the 87 Octane? What can I do to avoid it?
Thnx"
Without knowing which engine you have, I can't comment about octane issues.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

Or he could just refer to his Owners Manual which contains pertinent information of the grades of fuel to use.