2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

GM Stage 1 is nothing but issues *sigh*

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:20 AM

GM Stage 1 is nothing but issues *sigh*

Alright, i have posted before and the problems have been fixed but now it's messing up yet again. I think the stage 1 is the worst add on GM could offer for these things, Hell the Stage kits for the s/c cobalts worked perfectly.

I drive normally and the car will start sputtering with ZERO power. Happens when cruise control is on or just driving off the cruise control normally in traffic. I'll have to pull over and take my key out for 10 secs and start back up and it's fine. It does this about every other day and sometimes the CEL is on, sometimes it doesn't come on. When i hooked it up to a snap on code reader it reads lean codes, overboost codes, misfire on cylinders 1,2,3 and MAF sensor out of range all in 1 reading.

Car always runs 93 gas, only mods are a k&n intake filter only with the stock air box. Boosting 25psi normally when it runs good.

I have rewired the dealers wiring on the new sensors from the power upgrade and they can not find out what's wrong with it. They re-flashed it a second time and looked over everything and cannot fix it.

I'm about to just take off that stage 1 and do a fully custom tune and on but you would think a factory add on would work right.

Any help other than selling the thing?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:45 PM

exactly why I have left mine alone it runs nice, if it ain't broke don't fix it
Old 05-01-2011, 01:59 PM

Thanks for sharing. With every post like this, I get further and further from even considering the Stage 1. Wish I could help, but it seems like you are right - it just isn't reliable.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:07 PM

And of the other 95% of owners who dont have any problems? If your throwing codes then thats where to start...it might not even be the kit...and for those not giving it a chance...your loss. With as much electronics on this vehicle it could be anything.....the fact that its happening with cruise control should tell you its elsewhere and not the kit..sounds more lke programming
Old 05-01-2011, 05:26 PM

no no and no. The car was running fine when it was 100% stock, put the stage 1 on and nothing but problems.

The SS is garbage stock if you ask me, I mean it's a low 15 high 14 second car. With the stage 1 it's night and day and puts you into the low 14's high 13's roughly. I just don't want to have anymore issues. I'm about to get the trifecta tune and call it a day. Stupid GM.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:53 PM

I also have had no probs after 2 years staged. Most of the stage problems happen under hard accel when the engine torques back and pinches the wires. If it's happening under cruise and light acceleration then the connections may have not been done right to start with.

And to those who are against the stage kit. I'd suggest a second thought on it. With the auto it makes 60 more hp (290 total) and 55 more ft-lbs (315 total) of torque over stock, tack on that its covered under factory warranty and its hard to beat.

The Trifecta tune is a great add-on to the stage kit, but make sure the car is running right first otherwise your asking for more problems.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:50 AM

Anytime you mess with a car you run the risk of an issue. The connector installation is an issue depending on who does it. Also the clearance issues needs to be addressed and is pointed out in a GM memo.

I work in the performance aftermarket and see issues all the time due to poor installes by oners or poor equipment. You run the risk with anything you modify.

I went with the GM kit and glad I did. If there is an issue it is my dealer issue. If I went aftermarket it would be my issues alone.

If people don't want issues then don't mess with the car. GM spent millions to tune and set up the factory settings and when you mess with them the risk of problems or damage is always there.

I have the GM upgrade and years later still the best thing I ever did.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Premium Member

Had it installed as part of the sale and I like the difference 235 to 290 under warranty.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:48 AM

I've had 0 problems with my install. you said the wiring is redone. did you check to make sure the boss was removed enough? is the sensor seated correctly? there is more to it than just the wiring and flash
Old 05-02-2011, 07:55 AM

Remove the K&N. That should fix it. Search "K&N Air Filter".

Quick Reply: GM Stage 1 is nothing but issues *sigh*