2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

GMP Upgrade Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 03:30 PM

GMP Upgrade Problems

I went 6 months without an issue and loved the kit. However, since January 2012 I have had nothing but problems and the dealer even with GM tech assist is stumped. Multiple codes. Sensor codes, reading 25psi at Idle code(but it was at freeway speed at -10) when set. We have soldered the connections, replaced the turbo (per GM tech). replaced sensors, 5 psi of boost, no boost. random miss fires, goes into limp home mode, but will not always set the check engine light. Still no correction. The car has been with the dealer for weeks. Two weeks this last go around. Now they say they will replace the PCM.

Does anyone have a clue or guidance or this? Is the engineer that designed this still on the board? I'm ex GM and this car was the western regions show vehicle. I'm looking for some help or I'll have to dump this car.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:39 PM

Need codes, and symptoms. Specifics..
Old 11-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

X2 what XtremeSS said above.

Also lost on the GMP thing. I guess you mean GMTU?

You also said looking at replacing the PCM. Or do you mean ECM?
Old 11-23-2012, 08:12 PM

Think he means ECM. HHR SS have ecm, ecm trans( AKA TCM), and BCM. ECM replacement usually goes hand-in-hand with shorted or bad map sensors depending on your codes and symptoms.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:18 AM

Wish I had the codes to give you. I have not gotten them from the dealer. Yes, I do mean ECM. GMP=GM Performance, I have the GM Performance Parts Turbo Upgrade Kit on the car.

When I spoke to the dealer last week, he stated the latest code indicated there was high boost at idle, but the tech was driving at 65mph on the freeway.

Symptoms: random miss fire, low boost in all gears (max 5psi), low power as if timing is retarded. stalling on initial acceleration from a stop.

Previously they have changed the MAP sensor provided in the kit, soldered the connections, replaced a Turbo charger as the code indicated the waste gate was not functioning. The other issue is that when these things start happening, the check engine light does not always come on. They were going to change the ECM today if it came in. I'll find out more possibly Monday.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:43 AM

pretty suprised that a dealer has done that much for you....
Old 11-24-2012, 01:16 AM

I'm paying so he is doing...I don't want to see the bill
Old 11-24-2012, 11:36 AM

Keep us informed. Tell tech you need the codes so you can run them by experts. Lol. Honestly better diagnostics come from this site than from dealer. Some have seen it all when it comes to the lnf.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:47 AM

Will go to the dealer Monday to check on the progress..or lack of...I'll try and get the codes.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hotrodbob
Will go to the dealer Monday to check on the progress..or lack of...I'll try and get the codes.
Hope someone can get this resolved for you. I had a 2005 Dodge Dakota that started getting random missfires and throwing codes and NOTHING solved the problem. I changed out the ECM, changed injectors, changed everything that was remotely related to the missfire and nothing fixed it.

My fix was to trade the truck in on a Pontiac GTO. LOL

Quick Reply: GMP Upgrade Problems