2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

hahn ic kit installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 02:51 PM

Thumbs up hahn ic kit installed!!!

well sorry gang for not posting sooner,but we finished at 10 p.m. and i was hungry and wantd to get to bed.

i'm still working on those pics too.

i will say to the tuned guys,there is a for sure without a doubt a gain in power going by the butt dyno. you thought you were spinnin before lol. didn't get a chance to get on the hwy with it though. i noticed an increase in power at 15psi. i hit 24 psi and fell to 21-22. before i was spiking 21 and settling at 20. i don't know if (i'm sure it did) the cold air last night enhanced this power or not. temps were low 40's last night.

i will say this about the kit. unless you have a lift and/or time,DO NOT ATTEMP THIS ALONE!!! LOL!! SERIOUSLY!!! the most time consuming part was taking the front bumper off. after finding all the screws and push tabs, you carefully have to pull the bumper off. next PIA part for us was getting the pipe on the drivers side to connect to the pipe going across the motor,don't know why. other than that it was pretty simple. the reason i said you will need at least two people(we had 3) is because you will need someone to hold the piping while you tighten. if you are a shorty like myself,YOU WILL NEED HELP. my arms were not long enough to reach some places while the car was lifted on jack stands .

i do have a fitment issue. it doesn't bother me because no one will know but me and if you are reading this. my plastic lip thingy(hell i don't know what it is called.it's the thing that comes out after you take out the 6-7 screws under the front lip)that goes inside the bumper did not go back in due to the pass. side of the intercooler would not allow it. i think it was a protective cover or something. unless we didn't line the ic up correctly. this was after we gotten everything tight and in place with the bumper back on. no way we were about to start taking parts off...it was cold and late lol. we started at about 6:45-7:00 and finshed around 9:45.

oh and if you have'em,use air tools. we did everything with a manual ratchet till the end...what were we thinking lol.

IMO-this kit was worth the money. unless you can build your own,this is the way to go. just the fact knowing i'm rid of that plastic piping takes a load off my mind. i'm pleased with the gains(just going by the butt dyno,atleast a solid 15 could be felt. going to try to get to the dyno on sat.)the car have gained. now i know my car is ready for a nice turbo upgrade. not being a butt kisser to bill,but the man and his company know what they are doing. not saying the other vendors don't,but i'm happy with my results. i give this kit an A- overall. that's because all it needs is some instuctions for the beginner lol.(thanks aaron and bill )
Old 12-02-2008, 03:06 PM

You shoulda called me foo. :P Can't wait to get mine. Still not sure if I wanna do their piping or something custom. And yes, the cold temps help alot. My car is night and day different based on IAT-2 readings.

Congratulations.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by AaronSS
You shoulda called me foo. :P Can't wait to get mine. Still not sure if I wanna do their piping or something custom. And yes, the cold temps help alot. My car is night and day different based on IAT-2 readings.

Congratulations.

pm me your number. i will be houston sat. night hitting up some spots. i wish my clutch wasn't slipping,i would love to get some unexpecting sti's,wrx's,and some evo's...oh especially some skittles lol. i would just get the whole kit,unless you can get it done for cheaper. you won't be able to go bigger due to everything being already tight. hahn,piping fits perfect,with that being said,i don't think you can go bigger,unless you start gutting your engine bay lol.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by mightymouse
pm me your number. i will be houston sat. night hitting up some spots. i wish my clutch wasn't slipping,i would love to get some unexpecting sti's,wrx's,and some evo's...oh especially some skittles lol. i would just get the whole kit,unless you can get it done for cheaper. you won't be able to go bigger due to everything being already tight. hahn,piping fits perfect,with that being said,i don't think you can go bigger,unless you start gutting your engine bay lol.
It's not that I want to go bigger. The size is fine. I just want to convert to blow through instead of pull through and retune for a BOV. If I'm gonna dump that kind of change on a part, I want to get it right the first time. I may go to the Houston American Muscle cruise out to Lonestar Motorsports Park on Saturday.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:24 PM

Very nice write up mightymouse. I have to agree with you that Hahn racecraft is first rate. It might take a little longer for them to introduce there products, but when they do they are right and make great power and you can be assured that they were throughlly tested. I am going to pick up my SS this weekend from Bill and can't hardly wait to see what kind of new goodies they have installed this time.

Now all we need is that big turbo!!!!

Last edited by SindyDix; 12-15-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by AaronSS
It's not that I want to go bigger. The size is fine. I just want to convert to blow through instead of pull through and retune for a BOV. If I'm gonna dump that kind of change on a part, I want to get it right the first time. I may go to the Houston American Muscle cruise out to Lonestar Motorsports Park on Saturday.
so, i am learning a lot about turbos and such with my SS, but i'm lost on this one. could you explain blow-through vs pull through? and how you would have to set it up for a BOV? i know typically a BOV will make you run rich, because you're being metered for the amount of air coming in for your fuel, but then you dump some of the air, and you are now rich. is this different setup you mention intended to cure that problem?
Old 12-04-2008, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Yonash
so, i am learning a lot about turbos and such with my SS, but i'm lost on this one. could you explain blow-through vs pull through? and how you would have to set it up for a BOV? i know typically a BOV will make you run rich, because you're being metered for the amount of air coming in for your fuel, but then you dump some of the air, and you are now rich. is this different setup you mention intended to cure that problem?
I consider myself a turbo noob too, but I did a lot of learning with my 240sx project. I am hesitant to answer this question simply because it's on the fringe of me feeling like I know what I'm talking about. Take what I'm about to say with a little salt, and ANYONE feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

We currently have a "pull through" setup. This means the MAF is before the turbo and the air is pulled through. With a BOV vented to atmosphere on a pull through setup, you're exactly right. Some of the air that was measured at the inlet of the turbo is vented before combustion when the valve opens, therefore causing your A/F ratio to run momentarily rich. This is also one reason you see alot of backfiring on some modified turbo cars.

In a blow through setup, the maf is placed after the turbo, usually on the cold side (after the IC) so that the amount of air that is entering the cylinders is measured correctly. The BOV is located before the maf, so any vented air is not measured.

Doing this requires a complete retune due to the pressure of the air passing through the maf. The Hahn kit will be recirculated for that reason. It's designed to be more of a plug and play solution, which is great for most.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:02 PM

so, this retune for the blow-through setup would be with what, HPTuners? hmm...quick, email this suggestion to Hahn! since we are both noobs, perhaps he could come up with some kind of solution to this idea? if you are correct in this description, which it really sounds plausible that you are right, everything makes sense and sounds correct to me based on my limited knowledge, i may look into this change eventually too, no matter how much i want to build on my car.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Yonash
so, this retune for the blow-through setup would be with what, HPTuners? hmm...quick, email this suggestion to Hahn! since we are both noobs, perhaps he could come up with some kind of solution to this idea? if you are correct in this description, which it really sounds plausible that you are right, everything makes sense and sounds correct to me based on my limited knowledge, i may look into this change eventually too, no matter how much i want to build on my car.
Hahn has already addressed this question somewhere. I can't remember where, but he's not going to do it for his basic intercooler piping/bov kit. I'm sure he could do it custom, if you're that serious.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mightymouse
well sorry gang for not posting sooner,but we finished at 10 p.m. and i was hungry and wantd to get to bed.

i'm still working on those pics too.

i will say to the tuned guys,there is a for sure without a doubt a gain in power going by the butt dyno. you thought you were spinnin before lol. didn't get a chance to get on the hwy with it though. i noticed an increase in power at 15psi. i hit 24 psi and fell to 21-22. before i was spiking 21 and settling at 20. i don't know if (i'm sure it did) the cold air last night enhanced this power or not. temps were low 40's last night.

i will say this about the kit. unless you have a lift and/or time,DO NOT ATTEMP THIS ALONE!!! LOL!! SERIOUSLY!!! the most time consuming part was taking the front bumper off. after finding all the screws and push tabs, you carefully have to pull the bumper off. next PIA part for us was getting the pipe on the drivers side to connect to the pipe going across the motor,don't know why. other than that it was pretty simple. the reason i said you will need at least two people(we had 3) is because you will need someone to hold the piping while you tighten. if you are a shorty like myself,YOU WILL NEED HELP. my arms were not long enough to reach some places while the car was lifted on jack stands .

i do have a fitment issue. it doesn't bother me because no one will know but me and if you are reading this. my plastic lip thingy(hell i don't know what it is called.it's the thing that comes out after you take out the 6-7 screws under the front lip)that goes inside the bumper did not go back in due to the pass. side of the intercooler would not allow it. i think it was a protective cover or something. unless we didn't line the ic up correctly. this was after we gotten everything tight and in place with the bumper back on. no way we were about to start taking parts off...it was cold and late lol. we started at about 6:45-7:00 and finshed around 9:45.

oh and if you have'em,use air tools. we did everything with a manual ratchet till the end...what were we thinking lol.

IMO-this kit was worth the money. unless you can build your own,this is the way to go. just the fact knowing i'm rid of that plastic piping takes a load off my mind. i'm pleased with the gains(just going by the butt dyno,atleast a solid 15 could be felt. going to try to get to the dyno on sat.)the car have gained. now i know my car is ready for a nice turbo upgrade. not being a butt kisser to bill,but the man and his company know what they are doing. not saying the other vendors don't,but i'm happy with my results. i give this kit an A- overall. that's because all it needs is some instuctions for the beginner lol.(thanks aaron and bill )
Thanks so much, Mr. Mouse!

We really appreciate the positive feedback. I am so glad you enjoy the results!

Quick Reply: hahn ic kit installed!!!