2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Help, Dealership is botching Stage -1 Kit install

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:59 PM

Unhappy Help, Dealership is botching Stage -1 Kit install

I dropped my 2009 SS off at the dealership this morning to have them install the HHR SS Stage one kit, which I purchased here:

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...0-P2292C0.aspx

I went in at noon to pick it up and they had just installed the sensors so I couldn't pick it up.

I went in at 4:30 to pick it up before they close and they were still trying to install the ECU update. They claimed they couldn't get the update and when they entered in the appropriate number from the last sheet of the install page, they couldn't do it. I'm going in tomorrow morning (they are open until 1pm) to see if they figured it out. But the problem is that they just can't figure out how to download the ECM update so they can put it in, as they claim they can't do what the instructions told them. And unfortunately it means that I won't a car for the weekend unless they figure it out tomorrow morning, so no mothers day for my mom. As the worst part is that since they have installed the new TMap sensors, I can not drive the vehicle until they figure out how to download the software and since they spent 4 hours staring at the page and trying to download it, I'm paying $85/hour while they stare at the screen and talk about their weekend plans.

Anyone have any tips???
Old 05-08-2009, 08:07 PM

First tip is do NOT pay them for any of the time that they are wasting trying to figure out something they should know how to do.

Second tip demand that they contact someone at GM who knows how to do this and can tell them what they are doing wrong. I'm pretty sure there was a mention here in the last day or so of the name of someone who they could be contacting.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:12 PM

I will definitely fight the wasted time they try to charge me. As for the GM contact, I already went down that route, problem is, they don't work on weekends... These guys waited until 4:55 until they decided they needed to call GM tech support for the install, at which point they said, "well, we leave at 5, so this probably won't get done until Monday, besides, the tech guys go home at 5 too" At which point I pointed out to them that there are dealerships on the west coast, and they are open until 5, so you probably have until 8. They were floored that I could do math obviously.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:14 PM

Sounds like the 3 Stooges do Chevy warranty work!! It is clear to me that they not only don't know what they are doing, they don't care that they have treated you badly. I can't beleive that these guys have not yet ever done a ECU update.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:21 PM

The worst part is that my vehicle is stuck at this dealership. It can't be driven without the new flash.... Any techs out there know how to download the flash so I can tell these guys in the morning and get my car back?
Old 05-08-2009, 10:29 PM

First off you should not pay more than 2-3 hours max. You are the GM training school.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:57 PM

Interestingly enough, I found this little tips sheet for the install, I hope this helps them...

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2...grade-kit.html
Old 05-09-2009, 12:12 AM

According to my dealer, in addition to the code in the install manual the download from GM requires the Serial Number of your kit. This I found is on the box your kit was shipped to you in. Hopefully you or the dealer still has the box with this SN on it. Good Luck, once in you will Love it!
Old 05-09-2009, 12:51 AM

ChevyMgr will pipe in here Im sure dude. If they keep the car tomorrow, you should be given a loaner. There was another thread that mentioned a code issue like the one your having. As the post before me says, serial number duplications or something like that.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by SSStarman
According to my dealer, in addition to the code in the install manual the download from GM requires the Serial Number of your kit. This I found is on the box your kit was shipped to you in. Hopefully you or the dealer still has the box with this SN on it. Good Luck, once in you will Love it!
The kit does not have a serial number, just a program download access number that will be forever associated with your vin. I tossed my box and put everything in a ziplock before handing to the dealer, who did not have any issues installing.
Also, have them check that the access number hasn't already been used on another install, as was reported to have happened by one of our members here.

Quick Reply: Help, Dealership is botching Stage -1 Kit install